Headed to Greensboro

HenryUsher

Georgia Tech Fan
CD431126-5400-4FCD-91E5-433322A7419C.jpeg

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to describe how surreal the atmosphere was last night. From walking into Greensboro coliseum 30 min before gametime with absolutely no one around us to seeing whole courtside sections with no one in them to watching the confetti and balloons dropping in an otherwise empty coliseum. The coliseum ushers were walking around with picture signs about masks and distancing. It was nice to have beer and liquor at the concession stand though. When sat down and saw Teddy V was the official I thought I would be using the liquor stand a bunch but he didn't really affect things.

Despite the surreal atmosphere the energy GT had on defense was palpable - especially in the second half. It is one of the few times I have had to watch Jose's hands live and close up, and his hands (along with his feet) are ungodly quick. I don't know how many of the 25 turnovers he personally caused but it was fun to watch and the turnovers caused by Jose and the rest of the team was without a doubt the difference in the game. For an old school guy like me watching him come down on the ball and routinely make it work was something you can't teach.

Like the atmosphere, it is really hard to describe how much bigger FSU is than GT at almost every position. The walling up they did when Devoe in particular would drive was impressive. Devoe did a good job of being able to get the ball back out without turning it over or just throwing up junk. Also why Usher's dunk was so impressive and energizing.

While we were smart on offense and didn't turn the ball over (big deal), this game was obviously won with turnovers. Every spurt we had we would look at each other and just say turnovers. But it was more than that - FSU looked out of sync most of the second half. I thought Hamilton's comment was right on and a huge compliment that our D had them unsure of what they were supposed to do. Their guards couldn't take advantage of the advantages they had in the paint - plus Moses and Usher battling like madmen. I was scared of Gray going off on us again but Usher did well with him.

Devoe and Jose are the obvious kudos for the game but I want to give one to the supporting cast - Kyle. They had him handle the ball a lot of the minutes he was in and he did a good job of getting where he wanted to go and get the offense started without a turnover. He is a lot thicker than our other guards and I think that will be increasingly helpful if we get into and beond the second game.

The way we play defense and turn teams over, we have a chance to go to the second weekend depending on seeding/matchups. Whoever is the second game matchup isn't going to have a lot of time to prepare for the combination of defensive intensity and the weird/different matchup zone. We can give some higher seeded teams trouble. Looking forward to it.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It is hard to describe how surreal the atmosphere was last night. From walking into Greensboro coliseum 30 min before gametime with absolutely no one around us to seeing whole courtside sections with no one in them to watching the confetti and balloons dropping in an otherwise empty coliseum. The coliseum ushers were walking around with picture signs about masks and distancing. It was nice to have beer and liquor at the concession stand though. When sat down and saw Teddy V was the official I thought I would be using the liquor stand a bunch but he didn't really affect things.

Despite the surreal atmosphere the energy GT had on defense was palpable - especially in the second half. It is one of the few times I have had to watch Jose's hands live and close up, and his hands (along with his feet) are ungodly quick. I don't know how many of the 25 turnovers he personally caused but it was fun to watch and the turnovers caused by Jose and the rest of the team was without a doubt the difference in the game. For an old school guy like me watching him come down on the ball and routinely make it work was something you can't teach.

Like the atmosphere, it is really hard to describe how much bigger FSU is than GT at almost every position. The walling up they did when Devoe in particular would drive was impressive. Devoe did a good job of being able to get the ball back out without turning it over or just throwing up junk. Also why Usher's dunk was so impressive and energizing.

While we were smart on offense and didn't turn the ball over (big deal), this game was obviously won with turnovers. Every spurt we had we would look at each other and just say turnovers. But it was more than that - FSU looked out of sync most of the second half. I thought Hamilton's comment was right on and a huge compliment that our D had them unsure of what they were supposed to do. Their guards couldn't take advantage of the advantages they had in the paint - plus Moses and Usher battling like madmen. I was scared of Gray going off on us again but Usher did well with him.

Devoe and Jose are the obvious kudos for the game but I want to give one to the supporting cast - Kyle. They had him handle the ball a lot of the minutes he was in and he did a good job of getting where he wanted to go and get the offense started without a turnover. He is a lot thicker than our other guards and I think that will be increasingly helpful if we get into and beond the second game.

The way we play defense and turn teams over, we have a chance to go to the second weekend depending on seeding/matchups. Whoever is the second game matchup isn't going to have a lot of time to prepare for the combination of defensive intensity and the weird/different matchup zone. We can give some higher seeded teams trouble. Looking forward to it.
Love everything about this.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

Kyle did a great job helping break the press.