Head Coaches salaries

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Is going to be the death knell of all but about 12 Factory powers. When coaches salaries reach the heights of Fisher, Meyer, Saban it is only going to benefit the factories. Unless you pay that kind of money teams like GT and other teams willing to pay only 3 or 4 mil for a coach will not be able to hold on to a coach. Other factories i.e. Michigan, UCLA, Texas and possibly UGAG will pay what it takes. The dirty dozen will rule college football with the root of all evil.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
You can hold on to coaches if you find the right guy who cares about where he's at and isn't in it for the biggest paycheck (like Jimbo). Boise State, TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Stanford, and others all found coaches that will stay even when bigger schools come knocking. Peterson left Boise only when he had accomplished everything that was left to do there realistically. Those coaches do get rewarded when they win but I think all those guys make under $5million a year. I believe their salaries reflect rewards for being successful as opposed to fear of them getting poached.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The more I think about it, I think it will even itself out if we get rid of the "shadow staff" and "analysts" or whatever. With 6,7,8 million dollar salaries come expectations of winning big. You don't invest that kind of money to go 7-5. This leads to some good (although maybe not elite) guys getting fired after a few years. USF got Charlie Strong, FAU got Kiffen, Pelini has done well at Youngstown, Sumlin will land on his feet somewhere. As much as a joke Butch was at Tennessee I can see him being successful at a G5 as well.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
College football will die if the salaries continue to rise as they have. Continued separation of the haves and have nots. But I don't think the NCAA has the power to set a cap.
You are correct.
Wofford just had their coach Mike Ayers retire after 30 years. Not always successful but that is a long career.
College football will die if the salaries continue to rise as they have. Continued separation of the haves and have nots. But I don't think the NCAA has the power to set a cap.
You are correct.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You can hold on to coaches if you find the right guy who cares about where he's at and isn't in it for the biggest paycheck (like Jimbo). Boise State, TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Stanford, and others all found coaches that will stay even when bigger schools come knocking. Peterson left Boise only when he had accomplished everything that was left to do there realistically. Those coaches do get rewarded when they win but I think all those guys make under $5million a year. I believe their salaries reflect rewards for being successful as opposed to fear of them getting poached.
How many of those do you see playing in the CFP any time soon.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Sure they do. They can set a higher SAT score. Could Alabama win at its level if recruits had to achieve 1450?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Won’t matter. Most coaches don’t work for the school. They work for the Athletic Administration.
You lost me. of course they work for the school. On paper, anyway. A few years ago Ohio State admitted its president worked for the football coach. Not sure of your "athletic administration" meaning. All of that is university administration.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
You lost me. of course they work for the school. On paper, anyway. A few years ago Ohio State admitted its president worked for the football coach. Not sure of your "athletic administration" meaning. All of that is university administration.
Most Coaches have 2 contracts. One with the school and the Athletic Department and the other with the Booster organization the Athletic Association. The contracts combined equal their overall pay. Though they may just sign one contract with all that stipulated? This way only a small (compared to their actual salary) amount is paid from the school's budget which has tax money in it and the rest is paid from booster contributions (ie donated to the AA money not tax dollars)

This way the Public's money is not being frivolously seeded over to one person for a non academic endeavor.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

No, they don’t. Paul Johnson is not paid by Georgia Tech. He is paid by the Georgia Tech Athletic Association ... which owns and operates the athletic facilities. It is NOT part of the school administration. UGA is likewise.

The only schools I know where the athletic program is part of the school administration is Tennessee and Notre Dame. I’m sure there are more, but those I am familiar with.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
How many of those do you see playing in the CFP any time soon.
I'd give TCU and Stanford a decent shot. TCU was the first team out in 14 and Stanford is a Pac 12 contender meaning they have a shot

Oklahoma State was thought to be a contender this year. Kansas State probably peaked under Snyder a few years back. He's definitely on his way out and I don't think he'll contend for much before he goes.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Imo college football need to have a lot more regulations to even the playing field. I have a family member who is a Bama fan and he said he has not watched a game before because Bama was just blowing the other team out, I understand you can’t make every team even and this will still happen some but you can definitely even some things out. It just becomes boring to watch. I think there should be a cap on what a coach can be paid, as well as a cap for the entire coaching and support staff at a college, the coach could decide how much to spend per coach or support member, but he would have that cap. A kid should be able to sign at any point in his senior year, and only get out of it if the head coach is fired or leaves. No grayshirts so a team cant over recruit. All these things imo would change college football majorly and make it ten times more competitive. Oh, I almost forgot, there should be someone who can be over a region and pop in at any school at anytime to make sure the kids are actually being student athletes and not skipping class, he can make sure the support staff isn’t on the field helping coach or doing anything else illegal ect. And someone that doesn’t mind cracking down on the obvious cheating schools out there.