He did again today in the PC

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
What? How did we lose most of the production from last year's team?

How did we not? We lost virtually 100 percent of passing and receiving production in a year when we are switching to a more balanced offense. Only production we returned on offense was Mason and Howard. Regardless of who coached, we were going to be very young, very inexperienced, and very thin across the board.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
How did we not? We lost virtually 100 percent of passing and receiving production in a year when we are switching to a more balanced offense. Only production we returned on offense was Mason and Howard. Regardless of who coached, we were going to be very young, very inexperienced, and very thin across the board.
The original post was referring to expectations for the team if CPJ stayed. Who did we lose then? We lost TQM, Lynch and Brad Stewart. Lose any credibility to say that by losing those players we lost all of our offense. To be clear, we may not have won a lot of games, and we probably would not have won 9 games like other have said. But it is not because we lost all of our production.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The original post was referring to expectations for the team if CPJ stayed. Who did we lose then? We lost TQM, Lynch and Brad Stewart. Lose any credibility to say that by losing those players we lost all of our offense. To be clear, we may not have won a lot of games, and we probably would not have won 9 games like other have said. But it is not because we lost all of our production.

I would have to look up the articles on this and I don't have time to do it right now, but the stat-heads who crunch these numbers say we returned among the least production in college football. I'll let someone else find it.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I am really not getting the unfounded optimism for this team if CPJ had stayed or we hired a Monken type. OL was already a problem, and we know what that does to any scheme. BBacks were solid, but you have to have a whole lot of blind faith in (probably) Oliver who ran a very, very limited version of the offense when he played last year and couldn't clearly beat out TQM for the job. This was bound to be a down year simply based on returning production, maybe not this far down, but CPJ would have had to work something even more miraculous than he did last year to go to a bowl. And make no mistake, getting last year's team to a bowl may have been one of the better coaching jobs of his career.

But that's where we were talent-wise, having to pull rabbits out of a hat to get to a lower tier bowl, and that is the whole point of the direction TStan chose to take us in.

I believe similar observations/assessments were made prior to the 2014 season. Oline had some solid players but depth was an issue. Most thought Thomas was a good athlete but did not have a complete grasp of the offense. The ACC coastal is down. I really think PJ would have had a good Season.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Press conferences are for the press. I thought that was obvious. They are for the press to create stories from. They’re only recorded for the fans. But they aren’t for fans, they’re for the press.

The press is not the end user...they are simply a conduit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
The press is not the end user...they are simply a conduit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right? The press isn't writing stories for itself. Fans read the articles with the coach's quotes... so do recruits and their parents.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Benson wasn’t guaranteed to come back either after his 2nd ACL and the transfer rumors were heating as well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Umm didn't he transfer into Temple his Sr. yr from a much smaller school ? Collins sort of, perhaps, kinda, recruited him. Rock was already a proven star at the college level and was not spotted and/or developed by CGC. He does get some credit for selling him on 1 year of service.

.Ah hah- so cgc found a top nfl guy, convinced him to come to lowly temple , coached him up, and he went to nfl.

Does Rock give any credit to cgc
I think cgc should have said- i can coach up players - the good ones i got from rhule went to nfl. We modified the rhule system and using his players plus mine. I can coach talent
Melt down

Last edited:

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Here are a few Pro/Cons I can gather from CGC at this point...

Pros
- He is out-recruiting or previous group by a leaps/beyonds and then including the transfers it already greatly improved I don't know if we lose some guys...probably even best college programs do but still expect us to finish 15 to 20 spots above our average this year.
- Strength and Conditioning has been pretty good from what I've seen so far this season particularly on Defense. We are extremely young and not deep particularly on the d-line but I see the rotation and guys going hard late into these games despite the talent and experience gap we have so that's a positive as these guys continue to grow we can squeeze a little more production out of high motor guys as we continue to improve via recruiting
- I'm seeing Charlie Thomas/Knight even rumors of Derek Allen maybe converting to LB and this is refreshing to see the Coaching staff use atlethic guys and let them learn it up at that position as we've seen in other programs and NFL the 220-230 LB can be a huge difference maker in a Defense especially if they can learn to shade blocks and proper route taking sideline to sideline. Thomas has already made several big plays this year.
- The Secondary has been a bright spot and continues to be so plus recruiting highly at those positions. You can see some overall good teaching and development going on Defense and it appear CGC legacy in that department is legit.
- The WR group is adequate and if we ever get some consistency and slight improvement out of the QB and oline they should produce well enough.
- Speaking of Consistency looks like all the talk is we are settled on a Starter at QB at least for the short term and Graham is probably the best upside passer outside of Yates.
- The oline surprisingly does appear to play pretty clean on Penalties for my expectations too bad they are hot garbage and can't block anyone really that's about the only Pro I got for them...
- We have probably the best punter in the country.

Cons
- At time CGC game management or decisions have left me wondering if this young coach has a ways to go in that department. The FG kicker situation just baffles me unless Wells has just lost his mind how is he not out there and at least some of these 4th down goes could been FG attempts Well's seemed pretty much solid from anything within 40 at least and King is a Scatter shot who know's where it's going why keep putting him out there and ohh yeah the TO against Citadel.... I get that moment was chaos but not alot of situational knowing going on there.
- The rah rah stuff at some point needs to die down and yeah the X and Os need to come in to his press conferences and his overall outlook. If you keep sticking to that rah rah/slogan stuff when it comes to perparing you loss your players attention-tone deaf and they get complacent off they won't come down on me... I feel that's what happened with Quinn and Falcons he's got no other gear it seems
-The O-line is bad just overall all bad in terms of skill and depth it's terrible. The brightest spot players of Lee/Cooper going down have hurt and Southers the Transfer at RT is not even Division 1 competitive and it's not like we have any potential pieces who could step in and step up the talent below that probably is worse only recruiting and painful improvement by PT is going to help and still feel that year 3 is probably the soonest we may have what one would think is a average line.
- The injures on Oline/WR/DL have not helped this year and may not be helpful next year considering Redshirt potentials costing scholarship offers
- Alot of players have made just bone-head mistakes even into game 4...one time a straight hand-off was called in the RB never seemed to understand he was getting the ball, QB went to hand-off and the RB was just sitting there looking to block?

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's see...starting QB, WR1, some starting A-backs, our best OLman. Hell, who DIDN'T we lose off the Offense?
Yeah we didn't just loss a good olineman he really was the only one that would've been able to roll into this blocking scheme and not been hinder by either he's extremely young and still growing or the type of body that doesn't fit into anything but a Triple Option offense bucket... currently that's what we have a bunch of not ready guys or guy's who are just not suited for this blocking style