He always pulls me back in...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I apologize if this appears elsewhere. I looked and didn't find it. One of the reasons I enjoy Johnson no matter how much he aggravates me. From Mark Bradley column today about GT:

"Then again, he’s still Paul Johnson. When someone asked if Carolina’s defensive shifting – essentially the Heels’ linemen did a “Time Warp” jump to the left (or a step to the right) before every snap – he fairly snorted. “The shifting wasn’t a problem,” he said. “Whatever way they lined up, they were going to play the other. If you can’t figure that out, you probably shouldn’t go to Georgia Tech."

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I apologize if this appears elsewhere. I looked and didn't find it. One of the reasons I enjoy Johnson no matter how much he aggravates me. From Mark Bradley column today about GT:

"Then again, he’s still Paul Johnson. When someone asked if Carolina’s defensive shifting – essentially the Heels’ linemen did a “Time Warp” jump to the left (or a step to the right) before every snap – he fairly snorted. “The shifting wasn’t a problem,” he said. “Whatever way they lined up, they were going to play the other. If you can’t figure that out, you probably shouldn’t go to Georgia Tech."
:p:D

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Since this thread started with apologies if discussed elsewhere . . .

Did y'all catch how the UNC o line all ran cut blocks on their first series?

I didn't see much of that afterwards. So it looked to me like some kind of a statement was being made.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

I didn't see much of that afterwards. So it looked to me like some kind of a statement was being made.
GT made a statement humiliating the Tarholes ;)

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it didn't work out for them. But it seemed peculiar, especially when they showed themselves to be chippy and playing past the whistle. It was kind of like they meant to send a message to the ACC, the way Pitt's coach had moaned on his call in show.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Cutting our DL to make a statement...lololol....our own O makes that statement to them all spring and fall camps. Pretty sure our DL will be one of the last to ever complain about a cut block:ROFLMAO:

Remember that time in the Orange Bowl when Mississippi State tried to run the option against us...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I didn't notice but I will go back and look just out of curiousity. Maybe they figured out they aren't very good at it?

What I did notice and have for the last few games is opposing defenses, particularly lineman and linebackers holding our lineman. In fact the play Devine got hurt the UNC player held him and then threw him to the ground. I think that teams believe this is a strategy to keep our line from getting to the second level. It might kind of be working because we are not breaking a lot of big runs but, we are piling up a lot of 5 yard death march runs.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I should replay it
What I did notice and have for the last few games is opposing defenses, particularly lineman and linebackers holding our lineman. In fact the play Devine got hurt the UNC player held him and then threw him to the ground. I think that teams believe this is a strategy to keep our line from getting to the second level. It might kind of be working because we are not breaking a lot of big runs but, we are piling up a lot of 5 yard death march runs.
Good point. All the glittering commentators are talking again about Tech being non-sexy, but grinding you down holding the ball the whole game. This has not been typical over the years. But it is a noticeable trend this season. You could bed right that it is a result ofc a defensive strategy. One that CPJ rightly called dangerous after Pitt.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
It could be a quick slant type of play where they're coached to cut to get the DL's hands down. A lot of teams do that on quick inside pass plays. (as opposed to some kind of statement)
I think I saw VT do this against Clemson Saturday night.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
It could be a quick slant type of play where they're coached to cut to get the DL's hands down. A lot of teams do that on quick inside pass plays. (as opposed to some kind of statement)

As I recall, they ran a bubble screen on that play, so the cuts made sense. That said, I don't recall the whole O-line cutting block again like they did on that play even though they ran the same play several more times.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
There was one play where Clemson blatantly cut (nothing illegal) on an option play, but the VT DL (can't remember... Guard, maybe) got off it quick and flooded into the backfield to kill the play. Ended up being a HUGE yardage loss.
I probably remembered that wrong. I was tired. Just remember seeing several Oline hit the deck at the same time and laughing about it.