HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The longer we spend like a lower tier G5 program while we stabilize things and pay off debt the further we will fall behind in college football and the more irrelevant we will become. In 10 years or so when the next round of expansion is going on how comfortable are you being the program that is paying near the bottom of P5 conferences (and well below many G5 program as well), pulling in attendance under 40k, and making bowl games some of the time? It's embarrassing that financially we can't compete with South Florida, Cincinnati and Liberty. It's embarrassing that we couldnt even get the head coach from Tulane that basically no one else was going after. Something has to give. Cabrera's words after firing Collins and TStan were somewhat exciting. Unfortunately they appear to be completely empty as well.
More sad reading.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The longer we spend like a lower tier G5 program while we stabilize things and pay off debt the further we will fall behind in college football and the more irrelevant we will become. In 10 years or so when the next round of expansion is going on how comfortable are you being the program that is paying near the bottom of P5 conferences (and well below many G5 program as well), pulling in attendance under 40k, and making bowl games some of the time? It's embarrassing that financially we can't compete with South Florida, Cincinnati and Liberty. It's embarrassing that we couldnt even get the head coach from Tulane that basically no one else was going after. Something has to give. Cabrera's words after firing Collins and TStan were somewhat exciting. Unfortunately they appear to be completely empty as well.
I agree with most of what you say here, though disagree with the framing. You are framing this as we are P5, have the history, and so we should be a top 25 program. This is not only in results but also spending, etc. This ignores the fact that basically since we left SEC, we haven't been a consistent top 25 program. When that decision was made CBD understood who we are and I think made the right decision. With the way CFB is going there is going to be a splintering of programs with resources be the determining factor. I think your take is this means we will be one of the programs in the lower tier, and this is a bad thing. My take is this is a good thing, that recognizes who we really are as a program. If there is one thing I feel we can count on is the program will always work to be the best it can be with the resources we have. No one has given up competing. That doesn't mean we have made the best decisions, only that every decision was made with the intention to compete with the best. No matter what or where or who is involved, I will be rooting for my team, even if we are DIV III.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
it’s pretty hard to broach on this topic without venturing into political and religious talk

Agreed. We should drop allusions to motive on Liberty's part.

They hired him, they paid him, and he didn't get into trouble while coaching there, that we know of, so that's all we need to talk about on the subject. Delving into the Fallwell issue is for the Swarm Lounge area.

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. We should drop allusions to motive on Liberty's part.

They hired him, they paid him, and he didn't get into trouble while coaching there, that we know of, so that's all we need to talk about on the subject. Delving into the Fallwell issue is for the Swarm Lounge area.
Unless Fallwell can coach. Come to think of it, he probably has about the same skill set as our last HC... ;)

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Liberty probably does well for themselves recruiting among the not-insignificant intersection of "high school athletes in the south" and "raised in deeply religious Christian families."

God is probably a better hook than Calculus, unfortunately for GT... ;)

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Liberty probably does well for themselves recruiting among the not-insignificant intersection of "high school athletes in the south" and "raised in deeply religious Christian families."

God is probably a better hook than Calculus, unfortunately for GT... ;)
FCA is a big deal in a lot of HS Football, particularly in rural areas. I see no more reason to critical of Liberty wanting to have a major Football team than I do any other school, public or private. As I said earlier, I think the contract Freeze got with them was a bit of a thanks to them for the second chance. And Lord knows we all need a second chance at least once in life.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm wondering if GT under CBK might be one of the schools that can keep kids making less money (NIL) because of the culture, education, environment etc. we offer, I could see them being reluctant to move to the highest bidder just for the $ and leave other things that are important. Just a thought I had after reading something along these lines.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm wondering if GT under CBK might be one of the schools that can keep kids making less money (NIL) because of the culture, education, environment etc. we offer, I could see them being reluctant to move to the highest bidder just for the $ and leave other things that are important. Just a thought I had after reading something along these lines.
Several historians write about the rise and decline of civilizations. One stage of collapse involves the loss of vocational calling and higher ideals, replaced with over riding monetary concerns and accumulation of wealth.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
Curious, where does Liberty get their funding for the football program? Do they have a traditional booster system? Whale donors? Does it come from the University? Rumor is that they've offered Chadwell $4MM per year.

jepherson

Georgia Tech Fan
Curious, where does Liberty get their funding for the football program? Do they have a traditional booster system? Whale donors? Does it come from the University? Rumor is that they've offered Chadwell $4MM per year.

Tons of federal financial support, especially for a private university.

JacketFan137

Banned
This will be a great experiment on several levels. People who think you have to be from a particular region so you can understand the culture and recruit will have a test case. The rumors that Sanders will be able to poach big time prospects from power houses like Ohio State will be proven or disproven. The question of coaching ability and whether he can compete at the P5 level with the big boys will be answered. Though I support Key and I’m ready to get behind the new coaching staff I hope we don’t look back and realize we missed a golden opportunity.
yeah part of me wishes we went higher risk higher reward. i’m a gambler and to me there’s no better time to go for broke than when you are down and have nothing left to lose. hard to see any coach bringing the level of intrigue to a program that deion is gonna bring, and i think he will bring SOME recruits that you would never expect Colorado to get

i know we have some guys here that will never let go of the x’s and o’s vs recruiting talk. im just of the belief that deion’s presence as the face of the program is something you will not replicate, and you can just find some decent coordinators to supplement the x’s and o’s. kinda like how you can’t coach speed, but you can coach a guy to run routes, catch a ball, etc.

and i agree. i wanted deion, chadwell, key in that order and was gonna be pretty happy with anyone. i just hope im wrong about deion and we aren’t sitting here in 4 years dreaming about another missed opportunity for tech

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
i just hope im wrong about deion and we aren’t sitting here in 4 years dreaming about another missed opportunity for tech

This is more up to Key and Batt than anybody else (Prime Time, Chadwell, et al.) If these two guys succeed we won't care what the others do or do not in their positions. If, in year 3 or year 4, we are playing in Charlotte on this weekend I imagine that 95% of us will be happy.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
that guy flat out can’t coach without mccall. wanted him bad before but now i think we dodged a bullet
I think that is a bit unfair.

However, with or without McCall, they do not have a defense. Trojans haven't been known to score points, and they are completely obliterating them right now.