HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
LOL...that's being really hopeful. It's going to get messier before it gets better. Let's hope Fritz starts winning big sooner than later.
Sorry that was sarcasm. I like Pastner but we more likely than not get to repeat this saga in a year and a half. We already had a 20 pager pleading thread about fans needing to give him a chance on the basketball board this offseason.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sorry that was sarcasm. I like Pastner but we more likely than not get to repeat this saga in a year and a half. We already had a 20 pager pleading thread about fans needing to give him a chance on the basketball board this offseason.

D@mn it...from someone that likes to use snark and sarcasm, that totally went over my head. I need to work harder on that...

On a serious note, I think what's going on right now will end up being beneficial if we have to make any changes in the future. Everyone now knows the expectations, and you can be a productive part of the process, or get left out. Believe it or not, there are some really good donors helping Batt/GTAA right now even though another group is trying to muck things up.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A paywalled site can't copyright information, and can't legally prevent you from sharing information outside of the site. However, they can cancel your access to the paywall. That would cause your "source" of information to evaporate.

Yeah but folks are asked to not post their info here since that's kind of a d*ck move. Saying it was all from a 'source' could've been a way around this courtesy, so to speak.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but folks are asked to not post their info here since that's kind of a d*ck move. Saying it was all from a 'source' could've been a way around this courtesy, so to speak.
I know that they ask people not to post their info outside of the paywall. That is why I said that they can cut off your access to the paywall. Losing access to the paywall would dry up your source of information, and probably cause you to stop posting since you can't offer any type of insight.

I think there is an equal chance that his source was doxed or that he lost access to a paywalled site.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Fritz is the wrong move. He was at Ga. Southern and had a couple of fairly successful seasons, then bolted to Tulane. He had 6 sub 500 seasons there and fortunately had a good season this year. Sounds a little like Collins resume. Key is your man.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know that they ask people not to post their info outside of the paywall. That is why I said that they can cut off your access to the paywall. Losing access to the paywall would dry up your source of information, and probably cause you to stop posting since you can't offer any type of insight.

I think there is an equal chance that his source was doxed or that he lost access to a paywalled site.
What if his source and old roommate was the author of the paywalled information? I’m down for a good conspiracy theory

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Fritz is the wrong move. He was at Ga. Southern and had a couple of fairly successful seasons, then bolted to Tulane. He had 6 sub 500 seasons there and fortunately had a good season this year. Sounds a little like Collins resume. Key is your man.
9-3 in his first year coaching as well as the teams first year in FBS (meaning they most likely don’t have all their new scholarships filled) is “fairly good.” I’m not exactly excited about Fritz either but to say his years at GSU are only fairly good is also unfair.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
The major difference is that the Collins resume showed a marked decline in the team after he took over from before, whereas Frtiz shows a marked increase in the performance of the team.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
What if his source and old roommate was the author of the paywalled information? I’m down for a good conspiracy theory
1) make up rumors
2) “leak” then to the paywall authors
3) repost them here claiming a source
4) get in trouble for “stealing” from paywall to launder the info some
5) laugh at Tech fans going crazy over rumors

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a Ga. Southern contributor and alum and have dealt with the athletic department. Just happen to be a Tech fan since birth. He's had success at a lower level. But Southern had success already when he came in.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
There is a lot of pressure on reporters to be FIRST. Being first with a story gets links from Twitter and from other media outlets. It drives traffic to the news site and sells ads. It isn't isolated to Ken, and it isn't isolated to politics nor sports.

In my opinion, Ken does an outstanding job on human interest type stories. He finds and puts together stories about players' lives, obstacles that they have overcome, and accomplishments outside of
Sorry to butt in but to me that's a tough call. If Chadwell comes here and succeeds, he'd likely bolt to the Next Big Gig whereas I think we'd be the last stop on Fritz's career so could have him longer if he succeeds. Not sure there's a marked difference in Ability To Build A Program between the 2 though.
(flips coin)
I'll take Chadwell - younger and that might translate to better recruiting.
Actually, it’s the exact opposite of Collins. He made Temple worse. Fritz made Tulane better. Not saying he is the right guy, but i can’t believe that folks still believe Collins turned temple around when he made them worse after Ruhle left.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

He didn't bolt Southern wouldn't and couldn't pay him and Kleinlein the AD at the time was vehemently anti-option. Tulane offered him a 65 percent raise. Also Tyson Summers was literally southerns Geoff collins. Any of us (also an eagle myself) That had to live through that cluster got to do it twice.

jepherson

Georgia Tech Fan
I went thru the Gailey years and it wasn’t that good. Should have hired McWhorter at the time. Similar to what’s going on now.

I loved Mac McWhorter, especially his bowl game win. But he may be the best example of why NOT to hire Brent Key.

Mac left GT and coached 12 more years and never advanced beyond being an OL coach. I am NOT criticizing the man whatsoever, nor am I criticizing Brent Key. But Mac McWhorter was never pursued as a head coach despite The Hive's adoration of him. I love what Coach Key has done this year. I would personally choose him as head coach, but it's also possible that his career will follow Mac McWhorter's career. And I would still respect the both of them for highly successful coaching careers.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
He didn't bolt Southern wouldn't and couldn't pay him and Kleinlein the AD at the time was vehemently anti-option. Tulane offered him a 65 percent raise. Also Tyson Summers was literally southerns Geoff collins. Any of us (also an eagle myself) That had to live through that cluster got to do it twice.

Uh, our Geoff Collins was that DC from UGA...Brian VanGorder. He nearly destroyed the football program and he was more effective than Geoff Collins, it only took one season. At least GSU AA was smart enough to jettison...post haste.

I say our, I am not GSC alum (was college at the time), but I did RETP from GSC to GT. I was freshman during that glorious 15-0 season. What fun that was. Lost my voice at a couple of games. Nuts. First team to ever go 15-0. I love the I-AA playoffs too...this CFP crap is lame. cut a game from regular season and get a 16 team playoff already.

Man, this is insane, I knew Erk Russell did a fast job, but this is nuts (source wikipedia)
"The Eagles fielded a club team in 1982 and 1983 and began official NCAA Division I-AA play in 1984. The next year, the Eagles would win their first Division I-AA national championship in Tacoma, Washington, defeating Furman, in only the team's fourth year in existence, second as a varsity team. "

This is why I discount all the "difficulties" GT has being truly competitive. There are hurdles, to be sure, but they can be overcome if we at least TRY. Settling for .500 isn't trying...at all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Uh, our Geoff Collins was that DC from UGA...Brian VanGorder. He nearly destroyed the football program and he was more effective than Geoff Collins, it only took one season. At least GSU AA was smart enough to jettison...post haste.

I say our, I am not GSC alum (was college at the time), but I did RETP from GSC to GT. I was freshman during that glorious 15-0 season. What fun that was. Lost my voice at a couple of games. Nuts. First team to ever go 15-0. I love the I-AA playoffs too...this CFP crap is lame. cut a game from regular season and get a 16 team playoff already.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up what VanGorder is doing now. Talk about an interesting career that's gone full circle. That guy doesn't stick around anywhere for long.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The players not getting coach Key who they are pushing very hard for to get the job. This is somewhat unique that guys go onto social media and stomp so loudly for an interim coach.
Not really unique. Saw it last year when the Burton was not renewed. Happens a lot. Not the same SM, but there were rumblings from the players about Mac getting the job back in 2008.