HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Don't you bring level headedness into a discussion full of angst and worry!

Yeah but, unfortunately, the perception is a killer. We could be doing it all right but folks gonna use our name/opening to get paid. Besmirching us along the way.

I mean the damage is already being done. My 100% streak is in jeopardy here. This crime is not victimless.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The situation we are all in is called mushrooming.

You know, they keep us in the dark and feed us <common English word beginning with s denoting human excrement>. I used to teach so I know when to recognize it.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
This “hasn’t interviewed” kerfuffle feels like we’re in what I imagine the 1950s were like.

I’d be shocked if interviews weren’t ongoing conversational things instead of binary “has”/“hasn’t” things. And if large amounts of this don’t happen over phone or video calls.

Seems like a good thing to play dumb about for plausible deniability and face saving purposes, and a whole lotta idiocy about nothing from people who you’d hope would be more thoughtful than the average message board jet-tracking rando…

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Like the Vietnamese general said to the US colonel when he pointed out that the US Army won all its battles with the AVN, "True, but irrelevant." That Georgia beat most of its opponents as badly as they did Tech doesn't make it any less a rout. What I want is close games where Tech has a decent chance to win. No doubt you remember those.
We were up 7-0 and driving across midfield and we dropped an easy pass that would’ve been a first down and a 20+ yard gain. We would’ve been very close to field goal range, and at the very worst would’ve flipped the field. At that point we were almost moving the ball at will. Very easily could’ve went up 14-0, with Georgia’s offense struggling and then having the added pressure of being down 2 scores early. Remember, nobody had even scored a TD in the first quarter against Georgia all year. We were in position to score 2 in our first 2 possessions.

We were down 13-7 early in the 2nd half and a bad snap led to our punter being tackled on our own 17 yard line. Instead of having to drive the length of the field, they just needed 17 yards. Even still, our defense made some damn good plays and almost held them scoreless, some weird officiating helped contribute to another UGA score. At this point, our own mistakes have contributed to what might be a 14 point swing, and at the very least would make Georgia play with more pressure, and give our defense who is one of the best in the country at creating turnovers more opportunities to do so.

Immediately coming out of the dropped punt we fumble on our own 25. Defense plays like hell to hold them to a field goal. Also, on 3rd down we force what looks like a fumble, which we would have recovered and taken in for a score. Officials didn’t see it that way, so they kicked a field goal. Now we’re up to a 17, maybe even as much as 20 to 24 point swing on basically 4 plays. We could be looking at a 17-10 or 21-7 GT lead at this point, instead it’s 23-7 UGA.

There was another dropped pass in there somewhere, but I don’t remember exactly what the game situation was at the time.

The whole point is that we were poised to be in position to win the ball game. They basically scored 13 of their points immediately after our unforced errors. Plays where they didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves. So not only did we hand them 13 free points, which BTW makes the final score a 10 point game, we lost the opportunity to score points of our own. AND we gifted them about 100 free yards via our fumbles and dropped passes, which are 100 yards our defense could’ve fought for and potentially got the ball back.

37-14 is not a close game, I understand that and I agree. But our unforced errors led directly to a third of their points, and totally changed the flow of the game. If we go up 14-0, or even 10-0 within the first 10 minutes of the game, the outcome is totally flipped on it’s head. Maybe in that scenario Georgia comes out playing totally differently and ends up blowing us out without needing us to make our own mistakes. But that’s not what happened. We left at least 20 points on the field offensively and defensively, enough points and yards that could’ve won us that game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Apropos of absolutely nothing, but Wesley Fritz (Willie's son) who is Tulane's Director of Player Personnel is currently following quite a few of our recruits. Most interestingly, he's following our new 4 star QB commit of the 2024 class.

Could be just coincidence and he was following them previously for Tulane, but it does make you go "Hmmm..."

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Apropos of absolutely nothing, but Wesley Fritz (Willie's son) who is Tulane's Director of Player Personnel is currently following quite a few of our recruits. Most interestingly, he's following our new 4 star QB commit of the 2024 class.

Could be just coincidence and he was following them previously for Tulane, but it does make you go you "Hmmm..."
Just like when Corey Dennis started following our recruits last year, I would be wary.
It could be that Fritz is coming here.
Or….
We also may be about to clean house and they may be hoping to snipe a few.

Fritz may be the guy but with as tight lipped as the REAL inner circle has been (key will get it, Chadwell confirmed, BoB has it, Fritz will be the coach), I would not be surprised if this is Fritz agents way of prying some benjis for willies retirement from Tulane.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Bc the words of the President and the new AD are not in alignment with their actions. If you are going to not go for a home run then Key was the obvious choice.
Guess I’ll have to rewatch press conferences and reread columns from when TS and GC were fired and Batt hired, but I don’t remember either Batt or Cabrera promising a “home run hire.” If Batt thinks Fritz, or someone else, is the right guy to build our football program back, then he has to do what he is paid to do. It will be at least a couple of years before we can say it was the wrong hire…and I for one hope we can NEVER say that.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Guess I’ll have to rewatch press conferences and reread columns from when TS and GC were fired and Batt hired, but I don’t remember either Batt or Cabrera promising a “home run hire.” If Batt thinks Fritz, or someone else, is the right guy to build our football program back, then he has to do what he is paid to do. It will be at least a couple of years before we can say it was the wrong hire…and I for one hope we can NEVER say that.
I will say it now. Its the wrong hire!

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
After reading stuff elsewhere, it makes sense to me that maybe Fritz was J.Batt's guy and Batt wanted to do the deal and make an announcement asap (maybe after informal, virtual discussions/interviews) but Fritz hesitated because he doesn't want to bounce before the AAC championship game coming up. Maybe he's asked to without an announcement until after that game? That would explain the smoke earlier tonight about it being a done deal and then the subsequent retractions...

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is a lot of speculation by a lot of folks who have no idea where things stand or what is actually happening. At the end of the day that is what message boards do and, I guess, that is their primary function in life. GT hired Batt to lead the process and finalize the selection of a new head football coach, in addition to his other duties as our Athletic Director. I feel certain he is doing that in a manner he feels will lead to a good and hopefully great head football coach selection. It really does not matter what we think or how upset we will be if our man does not get the job. It is his job to make the pick and we will just have to live with it and hope he picks a man that can help restore our program to some semblance of respectability and success. So while it is entertaining to give your opinion, remember, it will not affect the outcome.

Go Jackets!

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If Fritz is his final choice, I doubt too many here would be bothered by Batt leaving.

I was just about to say the same thing lol

Seriously? Dude's hired to do a difficult job (clean house at the AA, get us out of debt, oh and hire a new FB coach).

Apparently, everyone who knows anything says he's a great hire and will be successful. And you want to run him off after less than 60 days?

Hiring a coach may the highest visibility part of his job, but it's also easier than coming up with $200 million from our fan base!