HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s not what I heard. I heard that they want both candidates (Fritz, Key, others) … actually interviewed. Less about demanding Key be hired and more about fairness.
I thought interviews were happening this week. So this feels like people crying cause they don't know a schedule to me.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
It just seems like now more than ever tech needed to make an exciting hire to get the fan base back into it, especially if the goal is raising funds to put us back on solid ground. Maybe this was the best we could get, but it gets increasingly harder to donate to an athletic program that continuously shoots itself in the foot. This hire isn’t going to fill seats or seal big donations.
I’m replying to this as I read. Winning fills seats and coffers, not exciting hires. We need to win. I have no idea if Fritz is the quickest route to winning but that is what this school/team/AA/fan base need more than anything.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’m replying to this as I read. Winning fills seats and coffers, not exciting hires. We need to win. I have no idea if Fritz is the quickest route to winning but that is what this school/team/AA/fan base need more than anything.

Always wise posts from GCda .... say, JuiceMan .. you ever think of changing the name? Distance yourself from you-know-who.

Actually ... nah, just own it. You're the only juice man 'round these parts. The other guy was just imitatin'..

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It was reported in the New Orleans press.

GTAA is not talking to anyone. If it's Fritz's camp is talking, I don't have confidence that he'll ultimately be the guy. Batt and Cabrera don't seem to be the type to play games in the press, nor entertain negotiating through the press. It could very well be Fritz's agent leaking to the press to get Tulane to give Fritz more money to stay.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about our coaching search. Way too much in house drama and press noise now.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
GTAA is not talking to anyone. If it's Fritz's camp is talking, I don't have confidence that he'll ultimately be the guy. Batt and Cabrera don't seem to be the type to play games in the press, nor entertain negotiating through the press. It could very well be Fritz's agent leaking to the press to get Tulane to give Fritz more money to stay.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about our coaching search. Way too much in house drama and press noise now.
I can understand being super quiet about things but the GTAA should make a general statement to quell some of the press noise and give a very basic update. Sometimes being too silent can create issues and perceived if not a real lack of leadership.

jepherson

Georgia Tech Fan

If the GTAA is, in fact, not talking to anyone as it seems, then the drama is external to the GTAA and that itself gives me a good feeling about our search.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
UGA beat #10 Oregon 49-3
UGA beat South Carolina 48-7 (who just beat Clemson)
UGA beat Missouri 26-22
UGA beat Auburn 42-10
UGA beat Vandy 55-0
UGA beat Florida 42-20
Florida beat #9 Tennessee 27-13
UGA beat Miss State 45-19
They beat us 37-14, and we could have had a better game.

I’m not satisfied with where we are as a team. I’m not beating myself up over losing when playing as well or better than a fair share of their top 25 and SEC competitors
Like the Vietnamese general said to the US colonel when he pointed out that the US Army won all its battles with the AVN, "True, but irrelevant." That Georgia beat most of its opponents as badly as they did Tech doesn't make it any less a rout. What I want is close games where Tech has a decent chance to win. No doubt you remember those.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Only because we havent named and some coaches' agents are "leaking" reports to get extensions at their current job (see Kiffin). The way I'm taking it, if its Key, we'll know this week. If its anyone else we will know after conference championship weekend. No need to panic.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Only because we havent named and some coaches' agents are "leaking" reports to get extensions at their current job (see Kiffin). The way I'm taking it, if its Key, we'll know this week. If its anyone else we will know after conference championship weekend. No need to panic.

Don't you bring level headedness into a discussion full of angst and worry!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
For those interested, my reactions:

This, but really just the bolded part. PAC ran the search for ADBattman pretty tightly. There was rumor and innuendo and then ALL of it was a wash. We got a guy who hadn't really been on anyone's radar from press perspective (and by all accounts a great hire). Don't lose faith the silence is intentional.
I can understand being super quiet about things but the GTAA should make a general statement to quell some of the press noise and give a very basic update. Sometimes being too silent can create issues and perceived if not a real lack of leadership.
Issue with this is when do you stop? Giving away some information (but choosing which things to shoot down or respond to) gives away some of the strength in GT's hiring position at the moment. Candidates know if they are in contention but not who they are competing against or which way we are leaning. This is how you avoid negotiating from a position of weakness on terms (See previous coaching contracts from BBall and FBall who a who's who of what NOT TO DO.
If the GTAA is, in fact, not talking to anyone as it seems, then the drama is external to the GTAA and that itself gives me a good feeling about our search.
Nailed the trick, smoothly handled the dismount, stuck the landing.
Have to agree with this timing. I can't believe GT would want to pluck a guy publicly who is still coaching and leading his squad (See Fritz for example) so would assume anything done won't be announced before Championship weekend.

PS. I am still hoping for Brent Key to get the shot, presuming we get a lighter contract $$ wise for him and spend that money beefing up recruiting and position coaches (also take a run at a new OC in my dream world).