HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member
J Batt is probably calling Alabama to see if his old job is still open. A rookie is no match for these donors. It takes a Homer Rice who has been around the block.

I suspect he was told what he was in for, and told to strap in. That’s a WAG on my part.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Can someone give me a run down of Fritz? Is he O or D oriented? I don't really care if he's 62 (yall are weird about people's age), but just a general sense of what he's all about.

I've been hoping for someone from the air raid side of things since CPJ left.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If this dude was 50 I’d feel different. But that’s probably my only gripe. He’s been a good coach and seems like a safe hire. We would have been great after PJ with this guy. Let’s see what happens. It’s not like there are other big schools waiting to hire Key right now.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
If this dude was 50 I’d feel different. But that’s probably my only gripe. He’s been a good coach and seems like a safe hire. We would have been great after PJ with this guy. Let’s see what happens. It’s not like there are other big schools waiting to hire Key right now.
Were there other big schools waiting to hire Fritz right now?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FromtheRumbleSeat on Fritz.

In our database of FBS coaches spanning 2000-2021, we evaluate every head coach by looking at a team’s average Expected Points per play in the years before the coach arrived and then during the tenure. Combining offense with defense and before with during, we can get a summary metric for each coach’s net impact on the job. Out of 370 head coaching tenures, Fritz’s Georgia Southern stop ranks 11th, and his Tulane tenure ranked 57th before this season’s metrics are included.

I wonder if Tulane's QB (Michael Pratt) would be interested in transferring. He should have 2 years left and has been outstanding at Tulane.

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
You are misconstruing my words. Either get a "brand name" coach. Orif you are content with bargain hunting, give it to Key. he's earned it ....over a guy named Wille Fritz. Who is fired up over this decision? I ask this honestly.
I think this is the point. Who honestly is excited for this hire? If we were going to go for cheap program stabilizing hire, key already laid that foundation and has the roster and a few commits nailed down for next year. But we were promised more, and this falls flat.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The infighting isn't any thing new. Radakovich fired Gailey to put his stamp on the program. Muschamp was the flavor of the month, and Radakovich had a tentative deal worked out to hire him. He knew he would get push back because of the Georgie connection, so he made sure he had Clough's support. When the money guys pushed back, Clough wimped out. Radakovich gave public support to Johnson, but left for Clemson after having the rug pulled out from under him by Clough.

Some people have doubted that this happened, but I know it to be true from a very inside source (who has since passed away). We then hired Paul Johnson, and we are still trying to make that transition, as evidenced in part by critical dropped passes yesterday by guys trying to play tight end.

J Batt is probably calling Alabama to see if his old job is still open. A rookie is no match for these donors. It takes a Homer Rice who has been around the block.

I'm happier with Fritz than Chadwell, whose 10 win seasons are paper tigers. I'm not happy with the way this entire situation has been handled, starting with not spending NIL money to upgrade the roster last offseason. The big donors do not understand P5 football in 2022.

Radakovich was also more motivated to leave GT because we turned down an invite to the B1G. He would have had a bigger budget to play with, and he saw the revenue projections once the B1G network went fully operational. Given Radakovich's aspirations for his athletic department, you can't blame him.

Now I wonder if the same group of donors that caused this mess were also heavily involved in GT turning down the B1G.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Can someone give me a run down of Fritz? Is he O or D oriented? I don't really care if he's 62 (yall are weird about people's age), but just a general sense of what he's all about.

Fritz coached Georgia Southern in 2014 and 2015. We played them in 2014 and they almost beat us - it took that great catch on the crossing route to win that game.

I wanted Fritz when CPJ left. I thought he could have made the easiest transition. That doesn't mean I want him now after posting a losing record for the last 7 years at Tulane.

Fritz was running the triple option out of the shotgun at Georgia Southern. He brought in an offensive coordinator since then at Tulane and his offensive style is much more fluid than CPJ's.

/

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this is the point. Who honestly is excited for this hire? If we were going to go for cheap program stabilizing hire, key already laid that foundation and has the roster and a few commits nailed down for next year. But we were promised more, and this falls flat.

I am absolutely flabbergasted as to how the GTAA plans to market this. I don't see a clear strategy for that.

slugboy

Staff member

Oh, he’s OFFENSE. He came from a spread option background, but took over from the flexbone, so he hybridized them. You’ll see a lot of Triple here, but that’s because of Ga Southern.

Lots of run, lots of pass, well respected.

7F973AC6-091E-4AC9-82A1-732CD54DBDC8.png

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hear you and no longer disagree. But your post was a bit hazy.
It was. I am. I am drinking myself blind tonight. To think I believed in the words of cabrera and this new guy. I AM Charlie Brown. Thinking things will be different this time. That this time, I will kick the football. I am always reminded in my lifetime of the precognisant words of the band the Who way. way back in the day..."meet the new boss. Same as the old boss." Outside of the Bible, no truer words have ever been spoken.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I am absolutely flabbergasted as to how the GTAA plans to market this. I don't see a clear strategy for that.

This is where I am at right now. I guess I just don’t see this as PAC and ADJB showing a deep and resounding commitment to deploy our resources to get the best for our football program. He may well be a great coach here - if it’s official - and I’ll support it.

I’m also curious to hear the director’s cut backstory on how it all shook out if true. He seems a more expensive “program stabilizing” hire than Key and I don’t love that he made it this long without a P5 stop as a HC..

Either way, I will be out front pulling for support as we prepare for our 2023 campaign.