HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All I have to say about speculation along the lines above is that I was seldom more surprised (or pleased) then I was when, out of the blue, Tech named Paul coach. There was some speculation about him, but most people were talking about Neuheisel or somebody else.

So I'd keep my powder dry about how we'll pick. And if Batt let's his decision be swayed by anything but the data before him (not counting the size of the checks) I'll be very disappointed.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m crying instead of laughing.
I laugh (or otherwise I would cry). People were so ready to get rid of CPJ not knowing no one doing great things wanted the job at GT. But, hopefully I am wrong and someone doing great things will be our next coach. Or, Key will turn out amazing. Heck, I saw a post that said they were hopeful Key could get 7 wins next season.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
All I have to say about speculation along the lines above is that I was seldom more surprised (or pleased) then I was when, out of the blue, Tech named Paul coach. There was some speculation about him, but most people were talking about Neuheisel or somebody else.
Both Neuheisel and Chris Hatcher would probably take the GT job now! :D

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if panthers will still owes him this. If so, all of us are in the wrong business. 😝

They say more money, more problems. I would like to see if I could handle that.
I still have not seen a good argument from anyone on this board why Chadwell should take a gig at GT over a Michigan State/Florida/Auburn/etc. We are one of the least desirable head coach openings in college football right now. Biases aside, I’d take the Colorado or Arizona State job any day of the week.
We play in the weakest P5 conference until the pac is decimated. We have a longer leash than any of those schools. GC might have been fired from auburn and UF after year one.

I also would take colorado and asu over tech if I weren’t a tech fan. But I would be thinking of life outside of football. As far as on the field, we have access to one of the most fertile recruiting grounds and competitive hs football. If the money is comparable, you have a better chance of making noise nationally here than in Arizona or Colorado.

The bi-coastal guys lately haven’t been doing so hot in the south (mendenhall was okay but quit, leach has been mediocre, Harsin is gone after after a couple years). There is something to be said for being able to connect to local hs coaches and parents. It’s much easier to get coaches you want to move from South Carolina to georgia than from Georgia to colorado. Those guys have relationships with local coaches and communities too.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I laugh (or otherwise I would cry). People were so ready to get rid of CPJ not knowing no one doing great things wanted the job at GT. But, hopefully I am wrong and someone doing great things will be our next coach. Or, Key will turn out amazing. Heck, I saw a post that said they were hopeful Key could get 7 wins next season.
This should be an easier transition than CPJ to TFG was. People forget how awful our offense was against Citadel, USF, Temple, etc. with Lucas Johnson and James Graham at QB.

You basically needed a coach who was cool with throwing a Hail Mary for his one P5 shot, which TFG stepped up for.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
Our four wins over FBS opponents were by an average of 3.25 points. Our FBS losses under Key (and Geoff) were all 3+ score differentials except UVA. We played some good parts of football games against the tougher opponents, unfortunately football is a 60 minute game, and not 15 or 30. Our schedule was tough, 5 of the 7 losses were to current top 25 teams. We also have wins over Pitt (currently 28-0 against Miami at half), UNC, and Duke, which all have 8-9 wins. VT, UVA, Miami were the weak sisters this year, will all fail to qualify for a bowl, and unfortunately we went 1-2 against them.

When I look at the data, I get the sense we are slightly improved from Collins. We managed to get the wins in the close games that he almost never got, but we still got beat badly a lot. If Key didn't say all the right things and have such an obvious genuine love and passion for Georgia Tech, if he didn't do all the non-football things right, would we still want him as badly? Imagine if Key acted and dressed exactly like Collins, continued to do pressers like Collins, etc, but has the exact same football performance we just got from him, would the call to have him be HC be this strong? Would anyone want him to be head coach?
He is rocking the short sleeved hooded shirt. Just kidding. I love it

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I do think our job is a very tough sell. We can’t even sell out a small stadium. We have a semblance of real academics. We don’t have enough wealthy alums who care about football.

I kind of wish CPJ never happened now, because I now believe there is a way to see special years at GT, but our own fans/alums can’t bring themselves to this reality. 7-8 wins and probably never beating ugag may be all I ever see again. I realize that’s better than the utter disaster we just saw, but it is still tremendously unfulfilling.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Watch out for Chadwell to West Virginia.
You are telling us you have a contact on the AA board who not only has told you that Chadwell has withdrawn his name from consideration for our job, but also that he is waiting instead on the WV job which has not, and may not even come open? I find that hard to believe.

1976jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I do think our job is a very tough sell. We can’t even sell out a small stadium. We have a semblance of real academics. We don’t have enough wealthy alums who care about football.

I kind of wish CPJ never happened now, because I now believe there is a way to see special years at GT, but our own fans/alums can’t bring themselves to this reality. 7-8 wins and probably never beating ugag may be all I ever see again. I realize that’s better than the utter disaster we just saw, but it is still tremendously unfulfilling.
The disaster was two poor ADs in a row. we are paying for it dearly.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Im not buying all the inside source nonsense. If Chadwell backing out is true then he got a better offer somewhere else. You don't hold out for a better job if your at Coastal currently. I honestly could care less and still say his QB made him look much better then he really is. Im fine with Key, BOB, and still wouldn't mind seeing Mullen.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You are telling us you have a contact on the AA board who not only has told you that Chadwell has withdrawn his name from consideration for our job, but also that he is waiting instead on the WV job which has not, and may not even come open? I find that hard to believe.
Makes a lot of sense to me... West Va is one of the prettiest states on the east coast and when you start considering what you can do with $2M / year in Morgantown vs Atlanta, it looks pretty good. Not to mention, he can get back to rocking the mullet in all its glory with no judgement at all... might even be a condition to to contract!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
A good lifelong friend that was my roommate while I was a student at tech from 1986-1990.

My roommate from my time at Georgia Tech as a student. Stayed in touch after college and attend home games together every year. He donates a very generous amount of money yearly to the GTAA and is on the board because of it.
Some of these details you've provided aren't quite adding up. The list of who's on the board of trustees for the AA is publically available. You say this friend of yours was your roommate at Tech from 86-90, and is on the board because of how much he has donated.

Looking at the list of members of the board, it sounds like he is not a faculty member of the board, as you say he is there because of how much he donated. Obviously he wouldn't be a current student member, and none of those listed as alumni members were students during the time frame provided. The only person on the list that I see might fit would be Dene Sheahene, the GTAA liasion, who was at Tech from 87-91. But looking at where he has spent his career, being a high level donor doesn't exactly fit, and he's not listed as a donor for any of the top levels of recognition that I can tell. That also doesn't seem to be the reason he's on the board.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What's that? Oh, you want my two sense? Ok

I'm thinking we let the id of the source go. Just take all the intel with a good sized grain of salt and move on.

Deal?

Next thing you know, folks'll start diggin' into my perfect prediction records and whatnot. And, I mean, who needs that amirite?

role playing lol GIF by Hyper RPG

#Still100%?