HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I give Dabo leaving for auburn less than 0.5%
I know that seems logical. But Clemson fans will NOT be happy missing the CFP two years in a row. Watching one or two of their YouTubers, they have been REALLY not happy with the offense since the once-in-a-generation QB left. (They were melting down after our game with them LAST year!)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I know that seems logical. But Clemson fans will NOT be happy missing the CFP two years in a row. Watching one or two of their YouTubers, they have been REALLY not happy with the offense since the once-in-a-generation QB left. (They were melting down after our game with them LAST year!)
Clemson was nothing before Dabo. It's crazy what a good coach will do to perceptions of a program.

Edit: didn't Nebraska fire a coach who was winning 9-10 games a year for "underperforming". I guess be careful what you wish for.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Key is hired and is successful here, I don't think he's leaving. Go back to when Key was first hired. I believe it was the interview with Key and Marco Coleman sitting next to each other. Key responded to the question about leaving bamers and coming to Tech. Basically he said Tech is in Atlanta, Bama is in the boonies. He probably wouldn't want to return to Tuscaloosa.

What's any coach going to say when he's first hired by any school? I think it's nice to romanticize "being home", but the reality is this is a business. Curry, the most GT coach/player I can remember, even left. Rumors of Key negatively recruiting against GT while at UCF and 'Bama have followed him for years before he came back to GT. I don't blame him, at the end of the day his job was to get recruits to sign with his employer.

The fact of the matter is, 'Bama has far more resources than GT does at the moment. If Key is making 3-5 million a year at GT, but 'Bama comes to him and offers him 8-10 million with a 5 million pot for assistant coaches, he would be doing his family and his career a disservice by not taking it.

The reality is, neither of us know how Key would handle it. My point is, nothing is guaranteed so factoring "Key is likely to stay at GT" in the decision to hire him would be fools gold.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
What a disappointment Jiff’s top 2 recruits were.
Who? Sims and Gibbs? Gibbs is not a disappointment. He’s very talented and is going to the League.

Sims has the skill and talent but was constantly plagued by injury/bad playcalling/bad oline. That would make any qb look bad no matter how good they were in hs.

I disagree with this take.

I also disagree with hating on students just to justify not liking a coach.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Sims also may have had some of the worst coaching and suppporting crew I’ve ever seen at a P5 program.

Yes his stats were bad, but literally anyone’s would be. Compare who CC played vs GT sims fresh year. Apples to Oranges.
Which is why I love the Chadwell fit here! The entire point of the OP was McCall is more valuable than Jeff sims which partially explains a costal beat down.

Jolly Good Fellow
Who? Sims and Gibbs? Gibbs is not a disappointment. He’s very talented and is going to the League.

Sims has the skill and talent but was constantly plagued by injury/bad playcalling/bad oline. That would make any qb look bad no matter how good they were in hs.

I disagree with this take.

I also disagree with hating on students just to justify not liking a coach.
"..I also disagree with hating on students....."
"...plagued by injury/bad playcalling/bad oline..."
Good thing those OLine guys don't qualify as "students" who you believe should be immune from fan "hating"....
LOL!!!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Clemson was nothing before Dabo. It's crazy what a good coach will do to perceptions of a program.

Edit: didn't Nebraska fire a coach who was winning 9-10 games a year for "underperforming". I guess be careful what you wish for.
Look up Charlie Pell and Danny Ford at Clemson. Had some recruiting violations but very good teams.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
"..I also disagree with hating on students....."
"...plagued by injury/bad playcalling/bad oline..."
Good thing those OLine guys don't qualify as "students" who you believe should be immune from fan "hating"....
LOL!!!
I think it's okay to comment on the shortcomings of an overall position as long as individual players are not singled out.