HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think O'Brien has NFL ambitions and if he gets the job here he will not stay for long. He has more bonafides than Jamey Chadwell and I personally would prefer him for that reason. I really hope Key gets the job.

One of the random insider things learned from all those email leaks that led to Gruden being fired was that Kraft apparently sees BOB as Bellichick’s replacement when he retires.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
When the Bammers are glad we are taking away a coach, remember how Temple fans were glad we were taking away THEIR coach.

I do not want a coach the fans are glad to be rid of.

If BoB is the selection, then this search will end with a thud.
I remember, and that was deeply troubling at the time.

That said, I think the Bammer fan base has A) more knowledgeable about high-level college football and B) higher expectations.

Isn't this just a variation of moving HC Chadwell UP to the P5? BOB is moving UP in the management pecking order by moving down a notch in the conference strength.

If you're a successful mid-level manager at a big company, you get your first C-level job title at a smaller company, prove yourself, then move back up to the big company.

So, a ho-hum coach at an SEC school might be a home-run in the ACC. IIWII.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Just was told Brent Key could be named the new Head Coach by Monday.
”could be?” Or “would be?”

I mean if he wins Saturday I fully expect he is the coach. So that falls into the realm of “could be.” “Would be” makes me feel like a contract has already been executed and he’s the coach either way.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
”could be?” Or “would be?”

I mean if he wins Saturday I fully expect he is the coach. So that falls into the realm of “could be.” “Would be” makes me feel like a contract has already been executed and he’s the coach either way.
The contract has been signed, I'm pretty sure it's Key.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why wait until Monday to announce Key? To me this looks like Chadwell told J thanks but no thanks and we had no plan b. What did the search firm do other than tell us what we knew before: this is not a desirable job.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Why wait until Monday to announce Key? To me this looks like Chadwell told J thanks but no thanks and we had no plan b. What did the search firm do other than tell us what we knew before: this is not a desirable job.
Consider the source, when it comes to the search firm.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell wouldn't turn this job down. Perhaps they couldn't reach an understanding...meaning we said you can't bring your staff lock, stock and barrel...but unless he has a better offer I think it's a bit silly to think he turned Tech down because it's not a desirable job for a G5 coach.

Most likely Key said he wanted to keep the focus of his players on the game with no distractions for him or his coaches.

Also, it's only your opinion that Key is a fall-back choice...there are a lot of voices outside of GT fans saying Key looks like a great fit for the role.

slugboy

Staff member
Let me see if I can summarize the past 20 pages of updates…
  • We’ll announce our hire after the game
  • or on Monday
  • We already have a contract and have for a while
  • Actually, we don’t have a contract and we haven’t interviewed anyone yet
  • Batt and Cabrera are playing this close to the vest, with just the search committee involved, and nothing is leaking
  • but boosters are controlling the process
  • We’re serious this time around
  • but if we don’t hire my choice we’re going cheap and we don’t care about sports
  • Parker Executive Search didn’t actually come up with a list of good candidate profiles—they just came up with three names, including our interim head coach. It was scrawled in crayon on the back of an IHOP children’s menu
  • This is a terrible job, and no one wants it.
  • There is something wrong with the people who have been lobbying for this job, because it’s a terrible job, and if they were good coaches they wouldn’t lobby for it.
  • If Deion comes here, we’ll have an entire class of 5* athletes, but he’ll leave for the NFL 8 weeks later
  • We don’t want Deion though, because we don’t care about recruiting.
  • If we hire Chadwell, we’ve given up and we won’t have a defense or any recruits. We’ll also go on probation for something that he didn’t do. Also, all of our players will transfer out to schools that play better football.
  • If we hire Key, no one wanted the job, and we’ve given up on football. We’ll have years of mediocrity.
  • Any coach who doesn’t beat his athletes with a spiked bat is Collins 2.0.
  • If the coach cares about recruiting, they’re also Collins 2.0
  • It doesn’t matter, we’re doomed.
Did I miss anything?

End Of The World Oops GIF by The Gregory Brothers

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
  • or on Monday
  • Batt and Cabrera are playing this close to the vest, with just the search committee involved, and nothing is leaking
  • but if we don’t hire my choice we’re going cheap and we don’t care about sports
  • Parker Executive Search didn’t actually come up with a list of good candidate profiles—they just came up with three names, including our interim head coach. It was scrawled in crayon on the back of an IHOP children’s menu
  • There is something wrong with the people who have been lobbying for this job, because it’s a terrible job, and if they were good coaches they wouldn’t lobby for it.
  • If Deion comes here, we’ll have an entire class of 5* athletes, but he’ll leave for the NFL 8 weeks later
  • If we hire Chadwell, we’ve given up and we won’t have a defense or any recruits. We’ll also go on probation for something that he didn’t do. Also, all of our players will transfer out to schools that play better football.
  • If we hire Key, no one wanted the job, and we’ve given up on football. We’ll have years of mediocrity.
Did I miss anything?

You've about summed it up, but...hey wait a minute! You know something, don't you? I know you know something (grabbing lapels and shaking). WHO IS IT?!?!

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The fact that it wasn't on a Waffle House menu suggests that we may finally have this going in the right direction.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
  • or on Monday
Did I miss anything?

Isn’t Bill O’Brien campaigning for GT HC position in this thread? If not, it needs to be added. Lol.