HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We have a weird fetish with coaches who are about to get run out of town.. Gregory, Pastner, Collins and now BoB. Hasn't worked out before, and certainly wont excite the fanbase, but im not the AD or a megadonor so what do I know
None of those other 3 have the pedigree that BOB has.

Nobody here is drooling over BOB, or pushing him over Chadwell or Key. It’s just acknowledging the fact he would be a solid hire if that’s the direction we went in.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
None of those other 3 have the pedigree that BOB has.

Nobody here is drooling over BOB, or pushing him over Chadwell or Key. It’s just acknowledging the fact he would be a solid hire if that’s the direction we went in.
Yeah, I agree BOB would be a solid option - a rather "meh" hire, but stability is a good thing. I just don't think that "meh" is what Tech is looking for right now and I just have a sense that it's likely going to be someone else...and the word around town is that it may be a done deal now.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think O'Brien has NFL ambitions and if he gets the job here he will not stay for long. He has more bonafides than Jamey Chadwell and I personally would prefer him for that reason. I really hope Key gets the job.
If he gets the job, I'm sure his contract will come with a substantial buyout clause Tech could use to hire the next coach. If you hire good coaches, you get to cash in on buyout clauses instead of paying them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Often times, taking a stand on principle makes for a lonely watch.
The thing is, I'm not sure others see the same as you. I'm not looking to prosecute the Dustin Vaitekunas incident at Tech or the Ereck Plancher incident at UCF, but my experience is a jury verdict isn't worth the paper it's written on. I think most attorneys will agree that a jury verdict and the truth have very little in common.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The dude got a player killed at UCF

I don’t really care what O’Leary has to say about anything. His judgement is obviously terrible.
None of were there. Be careful what you base your judgement on. Not saying you're wrong, but it is a plaintiff's attorney's job to vilify people.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
None of were there. Be careful what you base your judgement on. Not saying you're wrong, but it is a plaintiff's attorney's job to vilify people.
UCF was held to be liable. Feel free to say it wasn’t on O’Leary, but the AA was held responsible for the player’s death and O’Leary was present.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
UCF was held to be liable. Feel free to say it wasn’t on O’Leary, but the AA was held responsible for the player’s death and O’Leary was present.
Again, jury verdicts have little to do with the truth. That's a fact. Ask any trial attorney.

Second, the AA was found to be liable because they didn't properly train the coaching staff and the medical staff on how to handle certain situations. It wasn't an indictment of his personality. Again, I'm not interested in re-prosecuting this, but you're putting too much weight on what a group of potentially uneducated people decided regarding a very complicated situation. I'm not defending anyone, but I think your basis is weak and I work with attorneys and jury-related situations every day, both on the plaintiff and defense side.

Just my opinion.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Again, jury verdicts have little to do with the truth. That's a fact. Ask any trial attorney.

Second, the AA was found to be liable because they didn't properly train the coaching staff and the medical staff on how to handle certain situations. It wasn't an indictment of his personality. Again, I'm not interested in re-prosecuting this, but you're putting too much weight on what a group of potentially uneducated people decided regarding a very complicated situation. I'm not defending anyone, but I think your basis is weak and I work with attorneys and jury-related situations every day, both on the plaintiff and defense side.

Just my opinion.
Waco - baylor bears - settled w brilles 30$$ about. Settled w prez .

Fired the AD.

Finding = failure to have proper controls in athletic program.
About 5 years before all this Baylor bb had a murder cover up.
They have made great coaching hires in bb ( m&w) and football.

budweisersong404

Georgia Tech Fan
Call me crazy. I don’t have anything to back this up besides reading between the lines. But I have a weird feeling our next head coach will be Bill O’Brien with Key staying on as AHC and OL coach.

1) Key posted today on his official Twitter account an official GT Football “Happy Thanksgiving” post. Obviously I’m reading way too deep into this, but I don’t see an interim head coach that may not be with the program in a week posting this. In fact, Key is not very active on Twitter generally.

2) Multiple Alabama sites are reporting that BOB is currently the leader for the GT job.

3) If Key were to stay with the program (not as HC) and sources on this forum are correct, Chadwell would not be an option because he is reportedly wanting to bring his entire staff.

4) Finally, Russell Johnson, a reporter for the GT Rivals page, posted a cryptic tweet referencing Auburn’s interim head coach planning to stay on board through the coaching change. His caption with the article was “An interim Head Coach potentially sticking with a new incoming HC… interesting 🧐” (this is posted on a public Twitter page so I am not violating any pay walled information rules)

Am I crazy? Am I a super sleuth? Or reading too much into small posts? Possibly all of the above. I just have a weird feeling. Go Jackets. THWG

Last edited:

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Call me crazy. I don’t have anything to back this up besides reading between the lines. But I have a weird feeling our next head coach will be Bill O’Brien with Key staying on as AHC and OL coach.

1) Key posted today on his official Twitter account an official GT Football “Happy Thanksgiving” post. Obviously I’m reading way too deep into this, but I don’t see an interim head coach that may not be with the program in a week posting this. In fact, Key is not very active on Twitter generally.

2) Multiple Alabama sites are reporting that BOB will be taking the GT job.

3) If Key were to stay with the program (not as HC) and sources on this forum are correct, Chadwell would not be an option because he is reportedly wanting to bring his entire staff.

4) Finally, Russell Johnson, a reporter for the GT Rivals page, posted a cryptic tweet referencing Auburn’s interim head coach planning to stay on board through the coaching change. His caption with the article was “An interim Head Coach potentially sticking with a new incoming HC… interesting 🧐” (this is posted on a public Twitter page so I am not violating any pay walled information rules)

Am I crazy? Am I a super sleuth? Or reading too much into small posts? Possibly all of the above. I just have a weird feeling. Go Jackets. THWG
I'm hearing that the contract has been signed, but I don't know for sure if it's Key or BOB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
O'Brien with Key staying on has been a scenario that's been presented before.

If you think about it, it's also a move that would appease a very vocal donor base.

O'Brien has been one of my top candidates so I won't complain. However, if the BOB+Key combo was a forced arrangement to make a small group happy, then GT really is our own worst enemy. Batt is probably thinking "what did I get myself into, and how fast can I get out of this?!!"

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Key hanging around as an assistant with BoB, or anyone else for that matter, being brought in as HC just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If you want to talk about dividing a locker room, that’s how you do it. The first time there’s a disagreement between Key and BoB will split everyone into 2 groups.

I like Key, and I like BoB. On paper having them both together sounds like the best case scenario. In practice however, it may be worst case scenario.