HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Well it's all relative, but I'm referring to the level to which Alabama fans are spoiled vs Temple fans. I mean 40 points a game and they're ready to tar and feather the guy. It's ridiculous.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. It’s crazy how spoiled they have become.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That's interesting. Alabama is #5 in the country in scoring offense - 40 points a game.
What in blazes do those people want?
Alabama fans are complete idiots. Anyone who cares what they think are questionable.

Bama was the second ranked OFEI team last year and are 17th this year with Bryce Young having a poor year (I’m sure bama fans blame that on BOB).

I don’t want BOB over the other top candidates but people are losing their minds if they think he’s a bad OC

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Just because Alabama fans would be happy with BOB leaving, doesn’t make him a bad hire. Bama fans are just mad they haven’t won a NC in 2 years. While I certainly think there are better options than BOB, and I would much rather have Chadwell or Key, BOB would be solid. In Bama’s 2 losses they gave up 32 and 52. Their offense isn’t the problem. Their defense and lack of discipline has been.
My problem isn’t with him as an OC, though I don’t love him in that role, either. I don’t think he’s a good leader. Mostly for how badly he lost the room in Houston. It he had spent more time at PSU so we could have seen him under normal circumstances then I might feel differently but I didn’t really think much of him as a head coach.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
My problem isn’t with him as an OC, though I don’t love him in that role, either. I don’t think he’s a good leader. Mostly for how badly he lost the room in Houston. It he had spent more time at PSU so we could have seen him under normal circumstances then I might feel differently but I didn’t really think much of him as a head coach.
He’s good enough for Alabama but not GT! GT would kill for an OC as good as BOB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In Houston it was very bad = no passion.
His press conferences were like Chan's - yea we had issues, but we will adjust, see u next week.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Overall, he was a successful coach at Houston. I understand your concern but coaching pro athletes making several times more than their coach has got to be a completely different kettle of fish than coaching in college. He had winning records at Houston 5 of the 6 full seasons he coached there and won the division 4 times. It was only in his last year he started out 0-4 and was fired. Pro coaches are hired to be fired. He stuck around for 6+ seasons, so he must have done more right than wrong.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How did he lose the room in Houston? He won his division 4 times. His time in Houston ended terribly, but the whole organization was f***ed up. The Deshaun Watson mess started while BOB was there, and there’s not much he could’ve done with that. The Texans were 52-48 with O’Brien, since then they’re 9-29. O’Brien won more games than he lost in the NFL with starting QBs: Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiller, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh yeah, I totally agree. It’s crazy how spoiled they have become.
I know what you're saying about Alabama's talent level. 'Bama fans are spoiled for good reason. It's really hard to gauge how good their OC is because he's coaching a bunch of 5-star athletes. But he was hired to continue with the same playbook as the OC that preceded him. From what I've read, BOB knows a LOT about offensive football and is well versed in several schemes and many aspects of offensive football. His capabilities are diverse and he's a coach who can come in here and make the best of what we've got. He can adapt his scheme to fit our talent. He's not my first choice, but I wouldn't be disappointed if he were hired.

Last edited:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
How did he lose the room in Houston? He won his division 4 times. His time in Houston ended terribly, but the whole organization was f***ed up. The Deshaun Watson mess started while BOB was there, and there’s not much he could’ve done with that. The Texans were 52-48 with O’Brien, since then they’re 9-29. O’Brien won more games than he lost in the NFL with starting QBs: Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiller, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.
I didn’t say they did any better. He got a lot of criticism from the players when he made the ridiculous deals as a GM and that’s the part of his job with which I take umbrage. He wasn’t a terrible coach and I don’t ascribe the issues with Watson to him at all. Of course that wasn’t his fault.

The fact that they’ve made stupid hires which everyone seems to think are stupid doesn’t affect that he was not fit to be both a personnel guy and a coach and you have to do both in college.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Man, people here really amaze me. Guess BoB should have attended GT instead of Brown and then people would be drooling over him.
Nope. And if there is anyone that should like BOB it would be me since I idolize his original teacher, Ralph Friedgen. But BOB would need significant help in the personnel side to be successful. If we got that and didn’t have him in charge of that side of a college program he might not be bad.