HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Deleted member 6494

We beat them in 08 when they were under Croom and then again in 09 in Mullen's first year (where he went 5-7 coming off of Crooms 4 years out of 5 of four or fewer wins). They actually outgained us that game but had 5 turnovers that cost them. Did beat them in 14 in the bowl game where neither team's defense showed up much, but we did get 3 fourth down stops and two turnovers.
Thanks for the clarification; I have some good memories but have also forgotten many details.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We beat them in 08 when they were under Croom and then again in 09 in Mullen's first year (where he went 5-7 coming off of Crooms 4 years out of 5 of four or fewer wins). They actually outgained us that game but had 5 turnovers that cost them. Did beat them in 14 in the bowl game where neither team's defense showed up much, but we did get 3 fourth down stops and two turnovers.
The short answer is yes, CPJ’s team beat Mullen’s team twice. The score at the end makes it true.

slugboy

Staff member
I would not say he did better than historical averages,. But he did not lose too much ground. See how more data shows context.
It does seem like he missed on his “next” QB at Florida. That’s the same problem Dabo is having at Clemson right now. That’s also a mistake a “quarterback whisperer” shouldn’t make.

So, that was a recruiting deficiency at a school where you could avoid it

Since I keep questioning the recruiting rankings, the least I can do is offer something else. That something else is “do they have obvious holes after they’ve had a chance to fill them?”

For example, I’d say Narduzzi recruits well at Pitt. You won’t have a ton of NFL all-pros there (but they’ve had at least one in about the last decade), but he fills all his needs well. Saban always has a QB or three. Kiffin manages his roster well, and so does Leach.

JacketFan137

Banned
It does seem like he missed on his “next” QB at Florida. That’s the same problem Dabo is having at Clemson right now. That’s also a mistake a “quarterback whisperer” shouldn’t make.

So, that was a recruiting deficiency at a school where you could avoid it

Since I keep questioning the recruiting rankings, the least I can do is offer something else. That something else is “do they have obvious holes after they’ve had a chance to fill them?”

For example, I’d say Narduzzi recruits well at Pitt. You won’t have a ton of NFL all-pros there (but they’ve had at least one in about the last decade), but he fills all his needs well. Saban always has a QB or three. Kiffin manages his roster well, and so does Leach.
keeping the qb train churning is incredibly difficult. paul johnson struggled with it, it took kirby a lot of tinkering, oklahoma even missed with rattler after kyler and baker were incredible, clemson as you mentioned

very hard to do so i can’t harp on a coach for missing every now and then when almost every program but bama and ohio state has had issues

stech81

Helluva Engineer
HFCs are usually the "closers" in recruiting. Assistant coaches usually do the bulk of the work. They're the ones that create and nurture recruiting relationships. IMO, the Mullen recruiting issues centers around his staff more than Mullen himself. Who would Mullen bring in with him?

I think Mullen is very good at being a HFC, but at this point with all of the money he's made and a nice gig working in media, does he still have the fire to do the heavy lifting it will take at GT? There's a reason they say coaching has become a young man's game.

All in all, Mullen wouldn't be my first choice, but I would be fine if GT hired h Mullen knows what he's doing and GT could do far worse.
Right now after yesterday I'll be happy when we hire someone. Just not sure who on our list would really want to come. Would like to see someone hired before sign day and not fall too far behind and lose a year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The QB he missed with was a QB he signed within a month of getting to UF. The QB he signed in his first full class left after a semester, I think related to some sort of misconduct accusation off the field. The QB he signed in his third class is the current starter and has passed for nearly 2k yards and run for nearly 600 in 10 games. Obviously we have no way of saying one way or another, but I think it's at least within reason to believe that he did find his next QB at UF but it just wasn't the immediate next year. Ultimately that cost him, but I think what hurt him more was the defensive issues and his general attitude. My opinion is that, in retrospect, Mullen doesn't really fit well at a factory type of place, and fit better at a place like Mississippi State. Honestly, had UF not come calling I'm not sure he wouldn't still be at MSU winning ~8 or 9 games.

If we can land Mullen, I think it is a 100% no brainer to go for. To me his time at MSU is a lot more relevant than his time at UF. I'm not convinced he's even that interested in returning to coaching or being a head coach, but if he is a place like GT could be a great fit for him. Tons of experience and success at the P5 level as a head coach. What he did at MSU is what people hoped for here following Gailey and Johnson. He went to 8 straight bowls but won 10 games once and 9 games twice combining the consistent high floor that Gailey had (bowl games every single year) along with spikes up that Johnson had (Orange bowl appearances).

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My opinion is that, in retrospect, Mullen doesn't really fit well at a factory type of place, and fit better at a place like Mississippi State. Honestly, had UF not come calling I'm not sure he wouldn't still be at MSU winning ~8 or 9 games.

can you elaborate on this? Why do you think a coach would fit or not fit at a factory type of place?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
can you elaborate on this? Why do you think a coach would fit or not fit at a factory type of place?

Two reasons. I think he isn't fanatical enough about recruiting. There are some places where top 15 recruiting just isn't good enough and for UF trying to get back to the Urban Meyer days that's what Mullen brought, and his comments made it seem like he was okay with "just" top 15. Probably that got him worse than the things that should have gotten him, namely his defense. He also had talked about it before at MSU. In some ways it was similar to Johnson, although I think to a less extreme and I think he was also better at it despite a similar outlook.

The second is his personality. He rubs people the wrong way with some of the stuff he does and says, and he basically needs to win enough for people to overlook it. At MSU (And GT imo) that would be making a bowl every year and occasionally finishing in the top 25. At UF/UGA/Bama etc it would mean playoff appearances.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

CPJ was worshipped at Navy. He averaged around 8 wins (if you don't count his first season) at Navy. He could do no wrong there.

CPJ was well respected at GT, but not all of our fans ever fully bought in, especially towards the end. He took us to several ACCCGs, two Orange Bowls, finished 1st or 2nd seven out of the 11 years he was our coach. He averaged better than 7 wins a season here. There was always something some faction of our fanbase was complaining about: recruiting, not passing enough, "high school" offense, he was too gruff with the media, he wasn't willing to change, etc.

The higher you get on the ladder of programs, the higher the expectations...and a lot of it has to do with off the field stuff.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Two reasons. I think he isn't fanatical enough about recruiting. There are some places where top 15 recruiting just isn't good enough and for UF trying to get back to the Urban Meyer days that's what Mullen brought, and his comments made it seem like he was okay with "just" top 15. Probably that got him worse than the things that should have gotten him, namely his defense. He also had talked about it before at MSU. In some ways it was similar to Johnson, although I think to a less extreme and I think he was also better at it despite a similar outlook.

The second is his personality. He rubs people the wrong way with some of the stuff he does and says, and he basically needs to win enough for people to overlook it. At MSU (And GT imo) that would be making a bowl every year and occasionally finishing in the top 25. At UF/UGA/Bama etc it would mean playoff appearances.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I don't know him from Adam's house cat but I am leery of this guy. I guess (imo) failing to win enough at Florida with what they have is analagous (if you will humor me) to a guy who can't break 80 at his local municipal course hoping to do so at Augusta National. Moreover, he did not budge that program 1 inch from the previous coach McElwain and even was worse than him against conference opponents. Moreover, his worst year was his last (4th) not his first or second. Some have spoken to issues around QB recruitment and development. Can you speak to why he did not move the programs forwards when he took over? Or was it all in his inattention to recruiting and the QB issue. And, fwiw, I totally understand why some/most people would not like to recruit. I am confident that I would find it repulsive.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I guess (imo) failing to win enough at Florida with what they have is analagous (if you will humor me) to a guy who can't break 80 at his local municipal course hoping to do so at Augusta National.

Bad analogy. Many golfers have their best rounds at the National because the caddies know the course so well they guide them through their round. You hit every club in your bag at the range beforehand and the caddies take notes. They know how to make their tips. lol

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bad analogy. Many golfers have their best rounds at the National because the caddies know the course so well they guide them through their round. You hit every club in your bag at the range beforehand and the caddies take notes. They know how to make their tips. lol

Wow. I strongly disagree with this without ever playing that course. BUt when I do play the courses that the pros play, I am much. much worse. It's the greens and the slope. The sidehill lies. Th elong carries. Haviong to miss in the right spots when you miss the green. I have played some very difficult (PGA level) courses in my life as an 8-10 handicap. I strugge to break 90 on them (100 depending on the tees we play from). I have to assume that you don't play golf from this post. There is no way in hell I am shooting below my handicap at that course, even from the red tees.Based on my experiences.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Wow. I strongly disagree with this without ever playing that course. BUt when I do play the courses that the pros play, I am much. much worse. It's the greens and the slope. The sidehill lies. Th elong carries. Haviong to miss in the right spots when you miss the green. I have played some very difficult (PGA level) courses in my life as an 8-10 handicap. I strugge to break 90 on them (100 depending on the tees we play from). I have to assume that you don't play golf from this post. There is no way in hell I am shooting below my handicap at that course, even from the red tees.Based on my experiences.

It's not the course, it's the caddies. If you listen to them, you'll be amazed how different their decisions about how good your game is compared to your own. I have many friends who have played the National and almost all of them have come out with better than their average scores because they listened to their caddies.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's not the course, it's the caddies. If you listen to them, you'll be amazed how different their decisions about how good your game is compared to your own. I have many friends who have played the National and almost all of them have come out with better than their average scores because they listened to their caddies.
Plus, Augusta National isn't really that hard of a course if you're used to quick greens.

Deleted member 6494

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I don't know him from Adam's house cat but I am leery of this guy. I guess (imo) failing to win enough at Florida with what they have is analagous (if you will humor me) to a guy who can't break 80 at his local municipal course hoping to do so at Augusta National. Moreover, he did not budge that program 1 inch from the previous coach McElwain and even was worse than him against conference opponents. Moreover, his worst year was his last (4th) not his first or second. Some have spoken to issues around QB recruitment and development. Can you speak to why he did not move the programs forwards when he took over? Or was it all in his inattention to recruiting and the QB issue. And, fwiw, I totally understand why some/most people would not like to recruit. I am confident that I would find it repulsive.
Would it be reasonable to say that the coach for
GT has already been chosen but will not be announced until after the regular season? Any coach who is having a good year would probably not want to leave his team until the end of the year.

Would it also be reasonable to say that any coach that is not active (such as Mullen) would have already been announced so it would help the coach to actively begin his recruiting. No announcements for an inactive coach would appear to mean they are not candidates.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Would it be reasonable to say that the coach for
GT has already been chosen but will not be announced until after the regular season? Any coach who is having a good year would probably not want to leave his team until the end of the year.

Would it also be reasonable to say that any coach that is not active (such as Mullen) would have already been announced so it would help the coach to actively begin his recruiting. No announcements for an inactive coach would appear to mean they are not candidates.

Good questions. As for question one, I would imagine that the coach has not been chosen yet, but that interviews are underway. As for question two, I think you are correct to a point. They might still be candidates if an active coach doesn't work out.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was worshipped at Navy. He averaged around 8 wins (if you don't count his first season) at Navy. He could do no wrong there.

CPJ was well respected at GT, but not all of our fans ever fully bought in, especially towards the end. He took us to several ACCCGs, two Orange Bowls, finished 1st or 2nd seven out of the 11 years he was our coach. He averaged better than 7 wins a season here. There was always something some faction of our fanbase was complaining about: recruiting, not passing enough, "high school" offense, he was too gruff with the media, he wasn't willing to change, etc.

The higher you get on the ladder of programs, the higher the expectations...and a lot of it has to do with off the field stuff.
Thank you for the Paul Johnson commentary

Several ACC championship games? 3 in 11 years.
Two Orange Bowls? One with Gailey's recruits, one after being ACC runnerup because FSU went to the playoff and the Orange Bowl had to take us because of tie in.
Finished 1st or 2d in what? You didn't say. 1st or 2d in the weakest of the P5 divisions?
He averaged less than 6 FBS wins from 2010-2018 when relying on his recruits. (He had 3 top 25 AP poll finishes in 11 years--2 of them were his first 2 years with Gailey's recruits)

Just adding facts to clarfy your post. Thank you.