HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
You're right. For X's and O's nerds, we get Chadwell's system and how it's different from a "pure" option offense (like CPJ's flex option). However, Chadwell's offense still has an "option system" stigma tied to it. That's why with all of his success, he's been passed over by schools like South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Duke, UVA, etc. Chadwell is a lot like Kiffin in the sense that he's willing to change and adapt his system to the talent he has on hand...which speaks to his coaching acumen.

Also keep in mind, this will be Batt's first and biggest decision of his career. He probably doesn't want to make any enemies of big donors from the outset with a hire like Chadwell. From what I've read and heard about Batt, he values relationships and doesn't rock the boat. That's just my guess on what Batt is thinking with the HFC...like I said, I would be happy to be wrong about this one.
and schools like SC, VT, and Duke are fools to pass on a proven winner. It’s amazing how much the bar has continued to move. Even though though Leipold and Chadwell are proven winners, even the hint of an “option” in their game plan is enough to throw people in a tizzy. If people in decision-making positions truly think like this I want out. My money is being wasted. Get a winner, the best winner you can. It doesn’t have to be an “option” but if throwing for 262 yards a game and averaging 430 total is boring please bore me to death every game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
and schools like SC, VT, and Duke are fools to pass on a proven winner. It’s amazing how much the bar has continued to move. Even though though Leipold and Chadwell are proven winners, even the hint of an “option” in their game plan is enough to throw people in a tizzy. If people in decision-making positions truly think like this I want out. My money is being wasted. Get a winner, the best winner you can. It doesn’t have to be an “option” but if throwing for 262 yards a game and averaging 430 total is boring please bore me to death every game.

Jamey Chadwell has been my #1 option (pun intended) for a while now. That offense to me is a joy to watch.

That being said, he's not the only coach that would do well at GT. Let's wait and see who Cabrera and Batt pull out of the hat before we get worked up into a tizzy.

JacketFan137

Banned
. Even though though Leipold and Chadwell are proven winners, even the hint of an “option” in their game plan is enough to throw people in a tizzy. If people in decision-making positions truly think like this I want out. My money is being wasted. Get a winner, the best winner you can. It doesn’t have to be an “option” but if throwing for 262 yards a game and averaging 430 total is boring please bore me to death every game.
at some point you have to stop making arguments up. i haven’t seen one person in here say anything negative about leipold relative to the offense he runs. about the only thing people have said is they just don’t think he’s coming here and is more likely going to another big 10/12 school since he’s a midwest guy. if anyone can find an old comment of someone criticizing leipold for his offense on this forum i’ll donate $50 to the new initiative

i also don’t think anyone is calling chadwells offense boring i think people are just posing questions as to whether his offense will work here at a p5 school and whether he will be able to recruit at a higher level. both are legitimate questions. as are questions about deion’s/mcgee’s level of experience.

why are we not allowed to question anything about chadwell?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Florida recruits itself no matter who the coach is. IIRC, a quote from Mullen about recruiting was taken way out of context. I have heard he’s not a massive fan in all the work it takes to recruit at the college level and not having any real free time. I’ve heard Mullen would like a shot at the NFL but some people I know have wondered if he even wants to coach again. The big question with Mullen is if he even wants to coach anymore. He really loves his new lifestyle with living on the lake and his tv job. He’s got 0 stress right now and a ton of money in his bank.

JacketFan137

Banned
Florida recruits itself no matter who the coach is. IIRC, a quote from Mullen about recruiting was taken way out of context. I have heard he’s not a massive fan in all the work it takes to recruit at the college level and not having any real free time. I’ve heard Mullen would like a shot at the NFL but some people I know have wondered if he even wants to coach again. The big question with Mullen is if he even wants to coach anymore. He really loves his new lifestyle with living on the lake and his tv job. He’s got 0 stress right now and a ton of money in his bank.
when gruden was on tv you got the feeling that he still lived and breathed ball. there were stories of him still watching film like a coach. i don’t get that vibe from mullen on tv right now. to be on tv and willingly go back to coaching takes an insane amount of willpower. basically increasing your stress from 0-100 instantly.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'd assume because the money to be made from having a consistent winning program in football greatly dwarfs the money paid to a fired head coach.
That formula only works with the factories. The other teams should be a bit more thoughtful in who they hire. Really Tennessee? Derek Dooly? Miami: Randy Shannon, Manny, and Christ alone knows who else. All it takes is one or two bad hires with huge bailouts and before you know it there is a lost decade staring at your program. Most of these people are paid, in my humble opinion, way too much money.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
No Prime. He's essentially swatting the SWAC competition with superior athletes... same thing the dwags do to us every year. Very short head coaching experience, much less P5 (not even G5). He'll be another Scott Frost here.

I had been against Chadwell b/c I didn't want to see the option back but may Chadwell's offense is the happy medium for fans yearning CPJ's offense and the throw-happy NFL types.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
My unprofessional opinion ... that will inevitably be wrong. But I'm going to say the stars are aligning for the next coach to be Dan Mullen. My thoughts below ...

Tier 1 (in order)
1) Dan Mullen
. He's my first call, and I make him tell me no. He put Miss St on the map for an extended period of time. Nobody has won at the same level there since. Same thing with Florida ... he's won more than anyone there in the last 2 decades not named Urban. I think the personality fit was terrible with Florida, their fans & expectations. His family hated it too per reports. I think he would be a slam dunk with ours. I'd LOVE to see him bring in Corey Dennis as OC/QB coach. Both come from the Urban Meyer tree. Corey would immediately help with QB development & QB recruiting ... 2 things vital to Dan's success (was the only reason he did so poorly his last year at FL in my opinion). Plus he already lives in GA and his family likes it here from my understanding. He literally checks every realistic box I have. Just make it happen!

Tier 2
2a) Jamey Chadwell
. Pretty obvious why. He's built a routinely strong program at Coastal Carolina (as wsentenceell as other stops along the way) and I love his offense.

2b)Gus Malzahn. For the same exact reasons I want Dan, I would want Gus. I just want Dan a lot more ... probably because I am of the belief Mullen got the short end in FL, and he's one of the few blue chip coaches out there.

Tier 3
3) Bill O'Brien
. Not the most exciting hire, but what he did with Penn State was nothing short of outstanding. He'd steady the program, likely leave in a few years when he did, and then we'd be a much more attractive option to potential coaches. I think there is a disconnect between Alabama's fans and his results too. Is he the best OC? No, but he's a great coach. I'd like to see him bring in a guy like Brennan Marion to be his OC (check out the Go Go offense created by Brennan ... it's fun). I think BOB could implement some components of that offense, and we'd be better for it.

4) Everyone else. The Dell McGee's, Coach Prime's, Garrett Riley's, etc of the world. As long as they are coming with experience either at the P5 level showing success as a coordinator OR the ability to develop a lower tier program, I will be cautiously optimistic of the hire. The more you hang your hat on recruiting without the benefit of showing success - the more the scale tips to cautious than optimistic. Thanks Geoff.

Also worth a note ... Dan Mullen, Gus Malzahn and Bill O'Brien have all crossed paths with the new AD. He's seen them all up close so he'd have the inside scoop/confidence from that experience if he pulls the trigger on any of them.
Your last sentence is imo the most reliable guide to who our next HC will be. If Chadwell really wants a shot, his agent surely would be calling J.

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I dont want a guy "for what he did". I want one "for what he is doing!". BOB is out. Mullen is out. Coach O is out. Chadwell is a favorite of mine, but I worry if he will bring his full staff or find assistants with positive P5 coaching and recruiting experience.
A head coach just closes the deal with recruits. Kirby aint breaking down film and finding a guy in the boonies of south Georgia. He's there to make a splash at a game his senior year and talk to mama and grandmama.
All that being said, im happy with how tight lipped the search is. ADJB is very impressive so far. Go Tech!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
it is. saying recruiting needs to be a skill of the incoming coach is being treated as the only thing anyone cares about. it’s part of the pie that can’t be ignored but obviously gameday coaching and development are important too.

it’s just more bad faith arguments
It's not. You and others are treating recruiting as the by far most important skill over any other, and it's not. On top of that, its being used to dismiss guys like Chadwell or other guys who've been coaching at a lower levels from consideration because they've never recruited 4 star and 5 star guys, but nobody outside of Deion is pulling those kinds of guys at that level of program. That was my point yesterday in comparing Dell McGee's recruiting at Southern to Chadwell - McGee's recruiting at Southern was very much in line with everybody else's recruiting at that level, but because he moved up to UGA where every player is paid for and has been able to get 4 and 5 star guys because of it, some people think he is a better pick. Or dismiss guys like Mullen, who have fantastic records of success on the field, which ya know, winning games is the only thing that actually matters, because "oh he said he doesn't like recruiting".

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
A couple of data points:
1. Mullen has a reputation of being very difficult to get along with. That's a key reason why he did not last at UF.
2. In the current Sagarin ratings, Coastal Carolina comes in at number 80.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I dont want a guy "for what he did". I want one "for what he is doing!". BOB is out. Mullen is out. Coach O is out. Chadwell is a favorite of mine, but I worry if he will bring his full staff or find assistants with positive P5 coaching and recruiting experience.
A head coach just closes the deal with recruits. Kirby aint breaking down film and finding a guy in the boonies of south Georgia. He's there to make a splash at a game his senior year and talk to mama and grandmama.
All that being said, im happy with how tight lipped the search is. ADJB is very impressive so far. Go Tech
"I dont want a guy "for what he did". I want one "for what he is doing!"
I understand that sentiment and have strongly considered it. Realistically, there are no "guarantees" ( except maybe Saban), that ANY HC will succeed at Tech.
Chadwell, Leipold, etc. are relatively new and shiny, with few , if any bumps and bruises so far. What happens when, or if, their exciting offenses cause defenses to start taking extra practice to prepare - like when CPJ was here ? Schemes are exciting, but defenses evolve to stop them too.
I know Kansas was like us a couple of years ago. Chadwell's offense is "unstoppable". Eventually, in the "big leagues" it comes down to talent and coaching. Novelty will only get you so far.
We need a HC who has a proven record of putting players into the NFL, so the top athletes will consider coming here. That's where it starts.
Just my 2 cents.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
We need a HC who has a proven record of putting players into the NFL, so the top athletes will consider coming here. That's where it starts.
Just my 2 cents.
Chan Gailey put guys in the NFL, how'd that work out for us? 6-7 wins every year, 1 ACC championship appearance where we looked completely incompetent, and never beat UGA.

Geoff Collins was a big recruiter and took credit for a bunch of guys in the NFL, how'd that work out for us? 3 win seasons and a total **** show.

Paul Johnson was not known for putting guys in the NFL or being a recruiter, how'd that work out for us? 3 ACC championship appearances with 1 ACC championship win, 2 orange bowl appearances with 1 orange bowl win, and 3 wins over UGA in Athens. Oh and he still put guys in the NFL, despite not being known for it or running an "NFL-friendly" offense.