HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I would rank O'Brien #1 for his NFL success and who he has worked for in his past - O'Leary and Saban- with success. Then Mullen, then Chadwell. I am a " proven succeess at the highest level" guy............if , and it is a BIG if, we can afford it.
I would rank O'Brien #1 for his NFL success and who he has worked for in his past - O'Leary and Saban- with success. Then Mullen, then Chadwell. I am a " proven succeess at the highest level" guy............if , and it is a BIG if, we can afford it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Anyone but O’Brien. Had an in-law who was on his staff at Penn State. O’Brien is a very strange dude that fails to inspire those around him.

As GM he destroyed the Texans over petty stuff.

Maybe...but college coaching is different from the NFL. Even then, O'Brien was far more successful than Nick Saban/Urban Meyer/Matt Rhule/Steve Spurrier. Maybe weird at Penn State, but he did great work there. O'Brien would be a great hire here.

Jamey Chadwell is still my #1, but something tells me Batt wants a more "mainstream" type coach.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I like the other State of Kansas coach, the Kansas State coach, Chris Klieman. He has a similar talent level but gets a lot more out of his guys. Once coached at North Dakota State.

I think he would get this thing rolling!
If we could get him to take a look, then we should see what he'll do. I doubt he leaves the Wildcats, however; he has Martinez htis year and Howard coming up. He looks like he might retire there.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Maybe...but college coaching is different from the NFL. Even then, O'Brien was far more successful than Nick Saban/Urban Meyer/Matt Rhule/Steve Spurrier. Maybe weird at Penn State, but he did great work there. O'Brien would be a great hire here.

Jamey Chadwell is still my #1, but something tells me Batt wants a more "mainstream" type coach.
He made the NFL playoff’s something 3 or 4 years straight without a premier QB iirc, thats nothing to sneeze at. He was trash as a GM but thats not what we would be hiring him for.

I pray that Batt gives Chadwell a chance and a serious look, imo he is the perfect fit for Tech and I honestly think he can take our offensive personnel and win immediately, anyone else is going to have to rebuild.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He made the NFL playoff’s something 3 or 4 years straight without a premier QB iirc, thats nothing to sneeze at. He was trash as a GM but thats not what we would be hiring him for.

I pray that Batt gives Chadwell a chance and a serious look, imo he is the perfect fit for Tech and I honestly think he can take our offensive personnel and win immediately, anyone else is going to have to rebuild.

In 7 seasons, had just 2 losing seasons which includes his last season where he was fired after 4 games. Won at least 9 games 5 of the 7 seasons, and made the playoffs 4 seasons. I think that's really good, but I'm actually more impressed with what he did at Penn State.

I agree about Chadwell. I think he would be a great hire for GT. Unfortunately, I see Batt as a unifier. There are some big donors that don't want anything to do with "an option guy". I also think he'll be influenced by his time at 'Bama and would want a guy who has a system that's "recruiting friendly". That's just my $0.02, and I would be more than happy to be wrong about Batt and Chadwell.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell‘s system has enough option to keep our Triple-O nerds happy, and enough shotgun/rpo/modern passing concepts to keep everyone else happy (including recruits) if that’s not unifying then what is lol?

You're right. For X's and O's nerds, we get Chadwell's system and how it's different from a "pure" option offense (like CPJ's flex option). However, Chadwell's offense still has an "option system" stigma tied to it. That's why with all of his success, he's been passed over by schools like South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Duke, UVA, etc. Chadwell is a lot like Kiffin in the sense that he's willing to change and adapt his system to the talent he has on hand...which speaks to his coaching acumen.

Also keep in mind, this will be Batt's first and biggest decision of his career. He probably doesn't want to make any enemies of big donors from the outset with a hire like Chadwell. From what I've read and heard about Batt, he values relationships and doesn't rock the boat. That's just my guess on what Batt is thinking with the HFC...like I said, I would be happy to be wrong about this one.

WhatsTheGoodWord

Georgia Tech Fan
My unprofessional opinion ... that will inevitably be wrong. But I'm going to say the stars are aligning for the next coach to be Dan Mullen. My thoughts below ...

Tier 1 (in order)
1) Dan Mullen
. He's my first call, and I make him tell me no. He put Miss St on the map for an extended period of time. Nobody has won at the same level there since. Same thing with Florida ... he's won more than anyone there in the last 2 decades not named Urban. I think the personality fit was terrible with Florida, their fans & expectations. His family hated it too per reports. I think he would be a slam dunk with ours. I'd LOVE to see him bring in Corey Dennis as OC/QB coach. Both come from the Urban Meyer tree. Corey would immediately help with QB development & QB recruiting ... 2 things vital to Dan's success (was the only reason he did so poorly his last year at FL in my opinion). Plus he already lives in GA and his family likes it here from my understanding. He literally checks every realistic box I have. Just make it happen!

Tier 2
2a) Jamey Chadwell
. Pretty obvious why. He's built a routinely strong program at Coastal Carolina (as well as other stops along the way) and I love his offense.

2b)Gus Malzahn. For the same exact reasons I want Dan, I would want Gus. I just want Dan a lot more ... probably because I am of the belief Mullen got the short end in FL, and he's one of the few blue chip coaches out there.

Tier 3
3) Bill O'Brien
. Not the most exciting hire, but what he did with Penn State was nothing short of outstanding. He'd steady the program, likely leave in a few years when he did, and then we'd be a much more attractive option to potential coaches. I think there is a disconnect between Alabama's fans and his results too. Is he the best OC? No, but he's a great coach. I'd like to see him bring in a guy like Brennan Marion to be his OC (check out the Go Go offense created by Brennan ... it's fun). I think BOB could implement some components of that offense, and we'd be better for it.

4) Everyone else. The Dell McGee's, Coach Prime's, Garrett Riley's, etc of the world. As long as they are coming with experience either at the P5 level showing success as a coordinator OR the ability to develop a lower tier program, I will be cautiously optimistic of the hire. The more you hang your hat on recruiting without the benefit of showing success - the more the scale tips to cautious than optimistic. Thanks Geoff.

Also worth a note ... Dan Mullen, Gus Malzahn and Bill O'Brien have all crossed paths with the new AD. He's seen them all up close so he'd have the inside scoop/confidence from that experience if he pulls the trigger on any of them.
Not against Mullen, but he can't laissez faire recruiting here like he did at Florida. If he's hired, he needs to have dynamic recruiters on his staff. Personally, I really want Chadwell. We get Chadwell, people are excited, players are excited, I think recruits are excited. We get Mullen, are people excited? I don't think so, it's more "well he's a good hire".

MAT 2005

Georgia Tech Fan
Not against Mullen, but he can't laissez faire recruiting here like he did at Florida. If he's hired, he needs to have dynamic recruiters on his staff. Personally, I really want Chadwell. We get Chadwell, people are excited, players are excited, I think recruits are excited. We get Mullen, are people excited? I don't think so, it's more "well he's a good hire".
I think more high school kids will be more excited to play for a guy who’s has multiple first round picks and led a team to a #1 ranking than a guy from coastal Carolina with a mullet!!

JacketFan137

Banned
does the HC usually actually do that much recruiting or is it mostly just the assistants?
the head coach is ultimately responsible for the product. if he isn’t the one recruiting he is still laying out the recruiting bad scouting strategies and will have the final say out of who is to be pursued or not.

JacketFan137

Banned
Ah, ok. Kinda sounds like an overreaction to folks that cite recruiting ability as a desirable trait.
it is. saying recruiting needs to be a skill of the incoming coach is being treated as the only thing anyone cares about. it’s part of the pie that can’t be ignored but obviously gameday coaching and development are important too.

it’s just more bad faith arguments