HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeap honestly we have learned at GT because many factors we aren't going to be able to out recruit most schools but give me a scheme that can level that playing field sorta like PJ did and just solid recruiting and we maybe in business. I do think Chadwell offense will not be as hard to recruit for as the triple option. Plus I think Potentially if ChgamesfsuandMissOletheinadwell wants hes got the option to retain some guys like Thacker, Knight, and Watson that can help keep some guys and recruit. The defesne as a whole hasnt been the issue this season. Its the other coaches, Special Teams, and QB play.
The D in the Ole Miss and fsu games was horrid, and that's with fsu trying to help them. They have been improved though overall. We have a lot of work to do to replace Thomas and Eley. We all better hope the new guy is, or has access, to a true OL whisperer.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The D in the Ole Miss and fsu games was horrid, and that's with fsu trying to help them. They have been improved though overall. We have a lot of work to do to replace Thomas and Eley. We all better hope the new guy is, or has access, to a true OL whisperer.
We gave up like 600+ yards today. I realize that the O sure helped that stat in the first half. None of this staff is worthy of retention. This is likely our 4th straight year of 3 wins. How long am I expected to endure this misery.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Chadwell's a really good coach, IMO. I wish we had him at UVa. But for you guys, who CAN'T get it wrong, I think maybe Leipold's a little safer choice. Like, you've aleady missed badly once. The margin's a little slimmer for you than it was for us.
I mean of course Leipold’s a safer/better choice but that’s also the reason the market will command a much much higher price for him than chadwell. Someone of chadwell’s profile is probably the safest bet we can make with our budget. It doesn’t get much better than winning across 3 programs and divisions

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I mean of course Leipold’s a safer/better choice but that’s also the reason the market will command a much much higher price for him than chadwell. Someone of chadwell’s profile is probably the safest bet we can make with our budget. It doesn’t get much better than winning across 3 programs and divisions
Leipold’s buyout is 5 million and he makes 2.8 mil/year, Would he even want to leave KU for Tech? Why?

JacketFan137

Banned
clawson and wake were absolutely awful today and they paid for it. chadwell and coastal were woeful and they skated by cause it was the sun belt. very different ball game at the p5 vs g5 level

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
No to Dell McGee
Why? I will admit, I was swayed by a crowded booth video following collins' firing. The video summarized McGee's pros as follows:

1. Very successful as a coach with UGA has an eye for talent and has gotten the most out of it.
2. Supposedly more dogs would be upset more at losing McGee than losing Monken.
3. Rebuilt Carver-Columbus from abysmal to winning state championships over 4 years.
4. Has a winning record as a college head coach (Georgia Southern as an interim)
5. Supposedly he'll open doors that Tech has never had access to before.
6. His current salary is $800k so we can give us a reasonably priced coach.
7. I have a decent feeling about the guy

What is your reasoning for so vehemently disliking him?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Why? I will admit, I was swayed by a crowded booth video following collins' firing. The video summarized McGee's pros as follows:

1. Very successful as a coach with UGA has an eye for talent and has gotten the most out of it.
3. Rebuilt Carver-Columbus from abysmal to winning state championships over 4 years.
4. Has a winning record as a college head coach (Georgia Southern as an interim)

You make some great arguments.

JacketFan137

Banned

collins failure has soured so many people on the idea of a coach who’s bread and butter is recruiting and connections. in the common poster’s of eyes because collins didn’t work there is no possible way that is gonna work at tech ever again and we HAVE to have some sort of “scheme” offense or some gimmick like clawson’s slow mesh.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
collins failure has soured so many people on the idea of a coach who’s bread and butter is recruiting and connections. in the common poster’s of eyes because collins didn’t work there is no possible way that is gonna work at tech ever again and we HAVE to have some sort of “scheme” offense or some gimmick like clawson’s slow mesh.
While I realize that it's silly to say because it didn't work it can never work, it's also true that the definition of insanity is to keep trying the same thing expecting a different result. We simply can't miss this time or it will be decades of woefulness for GT Football. I worry that too many people want to win at the water cooler rather than on the field.

I was pretty salty last night after the game and was thinking "Whelp, the guys who wanted a hipper coach than CPJ got what they asked for...I sure hope they are happy with getting their way, because I'm sure not."

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I'll answer number 3
First he was a head coach at Carver in 2004 first year he was 4-6 then the next year 2-8 the follow year and not sure why but Donald Mack Jones was the head coach went 12-2 the follow year MeGee was head coach again ( not sure what happen) If you know much about Columbus that is a very weak area for football.
Also he only won the State Championship 1 year Lost the other 3 times.

JacketFan137

Banned
While I realize that it's silly to say because it didn't work it can never work, it's also true that the definition of insanity is to keep trying the same thing expecting a different result. We simply can't miss this time or it will be decades of woefulness for GT Football. I worry that too many people want to win at the water cooler rather than on the field.

I was pretty salty last night after the game and was thinking "Whelp, the guys who wanted a hipper coach than CPJ got what they asked for...I sure hope they are happy with getting their way, because I'm sure not."
the insanity is assuming that any coach of the same archetype is gonna be the same as another.

for example johnson is regarded as the best modern option coach and he averaged 7 wins a season here. personally i find it concerning that people want some inferior option coaches like monken and bohannon and assume that they will just pick up where johnson left off.

same thing applies to a “recruiter” coach. just being a recruiting focused guy doesn’t mean they are collins.

ultimately it’s all guessing either way and there’s never a guarantee a guy will be good or bad. frost was a homerun hire and was worse than collins. heupel had some questions at tennessee and now he’s got tennessee in the spotlight again.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
the insanity is assuming that any coach of the same archetype is gonna be the same as another.

for example johnson is regarded as the best modern option coach and he averaged 7 wins a season here. personally i find it concerning that people want some inferior option coaches like monken and bohannon and assume that they will just pick up where johnson left off.

same thing applies to a “recruiter” coach. just being a recruiting focused guy doesn’t mean they are collins.

ultimately it’s all guessing either way and there’s never a guarantee a guy will be good or bad. frost was a homerun hire and was worse than collins. heupel had some questions at tennessee and now he’s got tennessee in the spotlight again.
Yeah, I get it. But dang I'm not interested in a coach who is more about the sizzle than the steak. Give me someone who wins 6+ games a year every dang year over someone who turns in a 9 win followed by a 3 win or two. And I'm not 'okay with mediocrity', but at this point I'm sick of most fall Saturdays being sad and never even being truly in the race.

I don't need a 'scheme', I just need someone who can coach wins out of whatever players we get. Give me a coach, not a car salesman.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
1. Unique schematic offensive system
2. Strong recruiting / NFL dreams
3. Hip, youthful marketing campaign

I wish someone would create a Venn diagram showing the intersection of these three components that we could post every time we go round and round about what kind of coach Tech needs.