HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t see UT vs UGA being a good game. UT’s defensive line is solid, but nothing like what UGA had last year.

UGA is now what Bama has been the past decade. They have the best athletes at every position on the field. They are faster and stronger than everyone else. UGA will kill UT on the outside, both offensively and defensively. Plus it’s going to be in Athens. I think UGA wins handedly, 38-24.

UGA won’t have an actual challenge until they see Ohio State in the playoffs, and if they don’t get a matchup vs. OSU, they cake walk to another natty
+1

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Spent yesterday watching college football with friends. (BTW...everyone was congratulating me on GT's hire of AD Batt)

My UGA buddies are terrified of UT...and they should be. Tennessee is going to put up points on UGA. The question is whether UGA can keep pace with UT with their own offense. I'm not sure UGA can. Last year Stetson Bennett was one of the most efficient passers. This year he hasn't been as efficient, and UGA's outside speed is average for an elite team.

Also, I think Ole Miss is going to be just as tough on 'Bama as Tennessee was. There's a good chance 'Bama doesn't even make the SECCG and misses the playoffs.
I agree and I hope you’re right.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t see UT vs UGA being a good game. UT’s defensive line is solid, but nothing like what UGA had last year.

UGA is now what Bama has been the past decade. They have the best athletes at every position on the field. They are faster and stronger than everyone else. UGA will kill UT on the outside, both offensively and defensively. Plus it’s going to be in Athens. I think UGA wins handedly, 38-24.

UGA won’t have an actual challenge until they see Ohio State in the playoffs, and if they don’t get a matchup vs. OSU, they cake walk to another natty
The same UGA that was on the ropes against Missouri?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Y’all are reading way to much into the game yesterday. It was one of those magical games for UT at home and they still almost lost. Let me ask this - who takes more away from that game for the rest of the season, Tenn or Bama? To me, that’s easy to answer because the GOAT has proved it over and over. While Huepel now has to spend a few weeks bringing his guys back to earth, Saban now has his teams full attention. And if any of you believe Tenn will walk into Athens and put it on UGA then enjoy that doobie. Kirby got exactly what he wanted from that Missouri game and they’ve responded as a top tier team does. Tenn won’t make the SEC title game. The unknown is the Bama at Ole Miss game but after Knoxville I expect Bama to pull the W.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Y’all are reading way to much into the game yesterday. It was one of those magical games for UT at home and they still almost lost. Let me ask this - who takes more away from that game for the rest of the season, Tenn or Bama? To me, that’s easy to answer because the GOAT has proved it over and over. While Huepel now has to spend a few weeks bringing his guys back to earth, Saban now has his teams full attention. And if any of you believe Tenn will walk into Athens and put it on UGA then enjoy that doobie. Kirby got exactly what he wanted from that Missouri game and they’ve responded as a top tier team does. Tenn won’t make the SEC title game. The unknown is the Bama at Ole Miss game but after Knoxville I expect Bama to pull the W.
You may be right, but I don’t give a rip about Alabama and I wish the mutts nothing but utter and complete failure and embarrassment in everything they do, so I hope to see TN and ole miss come out on top and see bama and the bull$*** bulldog puppies sitting at home crying like spoiled children.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have not seen enough of UGA to know that much about them. Honestly I hate watching them, it disgusts me to watch them win. UT yesterday looked like they had some very talented skill players. However I do struggle with the notion that a team that was fortunate to win an OT game against Pitt, which we beat, can handle the Dawgs. Not saying UMiss will beat Tide but I would definitely say they have a 50% chance to beat them. Bama is struggling in the secondary.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
I have not seen enough of UGA to know that much about them. Honestly I hate watching them, it disgusts me to watch them win. UT yesterday looked like they had some very talented skill players. However I do struggle with the notion that a team that was fortunate to win an OT game against Pitt, which we beat, can handle the Dawgs. Not saying UMiss will beat Tide but I would definitely say they have a 50% chance to beat them. Bama is struggling in the secondary.
Remember in 2016 Clemson lost to a 6-6 Pitt team at home and went on the beat an undefeated Alabama team in the championship. You can't put too much stock in one game. I think UTs offense has found its rhythm as of late and will be able to move the ball against UGA.

kalld12

Banned
Spent yesterday watching college football with friends. (BTW...everyone was congratulating me on GT's hire of AD Batt)

My UGA buddies are terrified of UT...and they should be. Tennessee is going to put up points on UGA. The question is whether UGA can keep pace with UT with their own offense. I'm not sure UGA can. Last year Stetson Bennett was one of the most efficient passers. This year he hasn't been as efficient, and UGA's outside speed is average for an elite team.

Also, I think Ole Miss is going to be just as tough on 'Bama as Tennessee was. There's a good chance 'Bama doesn't even make the SECCG and misses the playoffs.
Bama will be in the Playoffs, this wont age well. Every year fans say the same sht, they wont lose another.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bama will be in the Playoffs, this wont age well. Every year fans say the same sht, they wont lose another.
Bama is most likely not lose another, but Ole Miss should put up a good game. Bama does not have the secondary they used to have (defense in general has degraded for the last few years) and they don't have the receivers they did even a year ago. The biggest difference I see in Bama this year vs past years is the lack of discipline, Penalties seem more plentiful, especially those that result in an opponent's score. Very uncharacteristic of a Saban-led team.

Bear Bryant said it best: Football is a game of breakdowns. And breakdowns due to penalties are the most fixable.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I fear this is all true.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Heupel was a QB under Mike Leach. He runs an up tempo veer and shoot.
By veer do you mean a "mesh" because I did watch the Vols coach's show and if the Vols were attempting to run the ball, 90% of those attempts that were highlighted had the QB and RB doing a little "you got? I got it dance" in the backfield. Does this differ than what I've come to understand as RPO?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You are right about the special moment and home cooking that Tennessee enjoyed against Alabama.

However, keep in mind that what made the game close was Tennessee mistakes. Even after almost giving the game away they still pulled out a last second win.

Alabama’s secondary appears to not be as good as uga’s. That is the difference in talking about matchups in my opinion.

slugboy

Staff member
By veer do you mean a "mesh" because I did watch the Vols coach's show and if the Vols were attempting to run the ball, 90% of those attempts that were highlighted had the QB and RB doing a little "you got? I got it dance" in the backfield. Does this differ than what I've come to understand as RPO?
You will have a mesh whenever you have a run option, at least on a hand off

One write up calls it a triple option with a tight end.

This is a veer , but not a veer and shoot. Heupel (and Briles earlier) added more passing to the offense

I expected more passing from UT, but I guess Heupel thought that the run game had more promise

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

You may well be right and generally I tend to view a big win like that as a recipe for a letdown as well. But there's also a reasonable case to be made that UT has played tough games and improved every week. Their QB is a Heisman front runner and they seem to have that 'it' factor where things just go their way. Bama misses a field goal. UT pulls off a miraculous 15 second drive and a tipped kick somehow sneaks through the goal posts. They got lucky breaks when it mattered against Pitt. Reminds me a bit of Auburn the Cam Newton year. Their schedule sets up nicely, they should beat UT Martin even if they start slow after the hype up. A tough, but winnable game at home against KY. Then they go on the road for a prove-it game at the sewage culvert.

The mutts have throttled the teams their defense has been able to dominate. If they can keep their offense on the field and churn out yards on the ground they'll wear you down. But in the couple games where the other team was able to move the ball, they've struggled. The Vols put up almost twice as many points against Bama as anyone else has. They ought to be able to move the ball on the mutts.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You will have a mesh whenever you have a run option, at least on a hand off

One write up calls it a triple option with a tight end.

This is a veer , but not a veer and shoot. Heupel (and Briles earlier) added more passing to the offense

I expected more passing from UT, but I guess Heupel thought that the run game had more promise
Ah yes, like what was used in the 70's. :)

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Deion was on 60 Minutes last night. everyone ought to go watch it. With the way he talked about his going to JS and what he declared as his mission being there, it doesn't seem like he's going anywhere in P5 to coach unless he's just a fraud.

I heard him say verbatim "if a P5 school seriously offers me i have to consider it" or something to that effect