HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
What offense is Deion running right now? Air Raid? If so, that would check one of the boxes I'd like to see - that is, running some form of offense that is different than what everyone else is doing. I admittedly haven't spent time trying to find and watch film, but I read an article about his OC working under Leach and then at Nevada. The quote I read from Deion said something along the lines of, "We're going to score a lot of points by making the defense do things they don't like to do." That peaked my interest a bit more.
In today's game everyone is running Air Raid concepts. Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, USC, and Ohio State all do it.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Where there is a will there is a way. This is what I’ve been arguing for years. GT has money. Big money. GT has hidden behind “red tape” for years and have brainwashed the fans, alum, and employees that it is what it is. It isnt. Every other southern school has figured this out which 8s why we’ve been left behind. Maybe we finally have a “get it done” school President instead of a stats quo school President. We’ll see. I believe an infusion of big money would pay itself back and more fairly quickly.
Maybe, just maybe, the Admin has awakened and is trying to position Tech for a Big Ten invite when the time is right…

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody has really confirmed if that flight was about Deion. Someone mentioned that was auburn university training Cessna 172 plane and that wouldn’t be the plane they use for a coaching interview. It’s was a flight training plane that auburn uses for flight training and not their private jet they would use for a coach.
He would get us in trouble with the NCAA within 2 years.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Twitter isn’t the only source. Just gonna say that. Same booster who told me Collins was done a few days ago when I posted it, is saying Deion would be interested and tech boosters have interest.
Are these the same boosters that wanted Collins? If so, perhaps it's time to question these people's judgement.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks it's a good idea to make hiring decisions with the input of people that have no idea what it takes to be successful in a job. I need to hire a data scientist for my team - I'll go ask the CFO which candidates he thinks are the best.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Are these the same boosters that wanted Collins? If so, perhaps it's time to question these people's judgement.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks it's a good idea to make hiring decisions with the input of people that have no idea what it takes to be successful in a job. I need to hire a data scientist for my team - I'll go ask the CFO which candidates he thinks are the best.

I mean, this ain't a 'GT-specific' problem ya know.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
That link someone posted included him as a name. They figured he's more of a Westcoast/Pac10 type of guy. Posited the AZ St opening may be more his speed.
It wouldn't hurt to call and see if he's interested. I also like Chadwell and Coach Prime. But Prime scares me a little. I'm afraid that if he's successful he would leave in 2-3 years.

slugboy

Staff member
Before Alabama hired Saban, they’d been in the wilderness for a while. Since I’m not an Alabama insider, I don’t know if they had all the plans to build what they have when they hired Saban, but I don’t think so—I think Saban turned Bama into what they are today. Either they were extremely foresighted and picked well, or they saw that the best college coach around was going to be available, and when they hired him he set about to re-engineer all their athletics and how their AA works.

I think it’s the latter case, and Alabama got much more than they expected with Saban.

Alabama’s AA seemed pretty dysfunctional and booster-controlled before they hired Saban—like ours, but with a lot more money.

We’re in the wilderness right now, and we’re much more lost than Alabama was. We can’t really count on the result Alabama got without being disciplined and savvy.

For each of these coaches that we’re excited about, what happens to our program if we hire them? Who would be a part of really rebuilding our program? Who would do something like Saban did and get the program aligned and tune out the noise?

I think we underestimate how important the AD hire is—we need someone who will straighten out that organization and plan smarter than our previous ADs did. I also think we’re ignoring or overlooking important head coach abilities that we need.

We did get a hint how Cabrera and Neville are thinking when Neville used Tennessee as an example. We should look for our process to be like their process.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Any coach that comes here is going to bail after 2-3 years if they are successful. We should welcome that scenario.
I'm not sure that's necessarily true with someone like Chadwell or the TO coaches Bohannon and Monken (although I don't think those two will be seriously considered since enough of the fan base would poop their pants over it), but I do agree that shouldn't really be a reason not to hire someone. I also think a successful coach will get significantly more financial support from the fanbase and could allow Tech to pay the higher salary a successful coach could command. That's part of what's happening with the donations right now - not many people are interested in blindly supporting financially, but show you are moving us in the right direction and support will swell.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Is he saying his son might not be a welcome transfer to a prospective P-5 school?
Sounds to me like he's saying "If I'm good enough to coach at a P-5 school then my son is (by the theory of genetic equivalence or something) good enough to start at a P-5 school above whoever is there."

Whaaa?

Please, either tell me I misunderstood his point or "Just Say No" to Coach Sanders. Too much downside when that type of thinking is trying to pass for logic.