HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Three things that give me BIG concerns about Deion at GT:

1. History at Prime Prep Academy. Look it up. IMO, I don't see how the Hill and Cabrera overlook this. This is like falling in love with a Porsche but not realizing there's a Volkswagon engine under the hood.

2. Deion made a flight to Auburn last week DURING the season to talk about the Auburn job. At the least this is bad optics and unprofessional. At worst it shows a flaw in judgement. If Deion does well here, are you OK with him flying to Texas A&M or FSU during the middle of game week to talk to them about a job?

3. We are clearly trying to gloss over his inexperience, and putting way too much on the "Splash" factor. I hear way too much about how "we'll get a lot of media attention" or "recruits would definitely consider GT" about Deion, and pretty much NOTHING about how his schemes at JSU are schooling bigger teams to wins. This concerns me because "splash" goes away...and if you don't win once it's time to kick the ball off, that splash goes away and you become...another Collins (although Deion is less annoying and way less cheesy than Geoff Collins). I mentioned previously, if you bring in Deion, you better have a BIG budget for a really good OC and DC (around $3-4 million total). GT isn't out-athleteing anyone in the ACC outside of maybe Duke...and even that's debateable at this point. Splash isn't going to win on the field where tactics, player development, and game management matter most.
Nobody has really confirmed if that flight was about Deion. Someone mentioned that was auburn university training Cessna 172 plane and that wouldn’t be the plane they use for a coaching interview. It’s was a flight training plane that auburn uses for flight training and not their private jet they would use for a coach.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
85F529D2-5171-4AED-8988-2D11D76F7F4A.jpeg

Deion wouldn’t have been picked up in this.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sanders is a very intrigiung candidate. Personality, promoter, name brand, no doubt. I have not had the chance to actually see and hear what his postgame conferences might be like, when he is HC, not "Neon Deion". Like the disaster we have endured lately, we do not need a HC who is "a mile wide and an inch deep". As an old fart, my instinct is to go with experience. My friend ( a PSU fan) saiys BOB was amazing, under those difficult circumstances. Is he "boring" like CPJ was "boring" ? Probably. Has he been perfect in the Pro's - mostly , but not entirely. Does he know Tech? He should , he spent 8 years there. He worked under GOL and Belicheck for long stretches....nobody's fools , those two.
I would rather make a solid hire , than just be chasing the shiny object in the room. My 2 cents.

Chadwell and O'Brien should be our priorities right now. I've already gone over Chadwell. I really think O'Brien has been overlooked for college jobs because he's spent so much time in the NFL lately, and the way he closed his time with the Texans may have colored him as difficult and egotistical. What he did at PSU has really been overlooked. He was playing in the B1G with one hand tied behind his back...all he did was only lose 2 games in the B1G with walk ons and a walk on QB. His second season he beat two ranked teams in the B1G with a true freshmen QB and again lost only 2 games in conference. Keep in mind that was his first HC job on the college level. Imagine how much of a better HC he is now compared to then.

Make one of those guys say no, because if we can get either, GT will be winning a lot sooner than later.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
That same plane parked in Jackson overnight, it left auburn Saturday morning, made 2 stops and then flew to Jackson, parked overnight then went back to auburn Sunday morning.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 13190
Deion wouldn’t have been picked up in this.

That's not the plane. Please don't be misleading. Flight plans clearly state it's a Pilatus PC-12...which a much nicer charter flight.

Wildbilliam1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Folks saying they wouldn’t want Deion b/c of his celebrity status need to look closer at his time at JSU and maybe refresh their memory of some all time great Tech coaches. We have had success going down that path before (Heisman, Dodd)

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
That's not the plane. Please don't be misleading. Flight plans clearly state it's a Pilatus PC-12...which a much nicer charter flight.

I was just reading what auburn fans were saying on twitter. That’s my bad. No one has confirmed Deion was on a flight to auburn and I’m sure someone would have said it was Deion.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer

That plane was all over on Sunday and Saturday and it doesn’t look like it ever went back to Jackson. You would think they would have used the same plane to go back but maybe not.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
As far as McGee vs. TC, that's just homerism coming out, guys. I loved TC. But McGee is far more proven as an HC possibility, most notably for the aforementioned HS HC experience.
Is this a joke, I can’t tell? How is it homerism to question whether a position coach with proven success recruiting and coaching at GT would have more success than a random uga coach the majority of us had never heard of two weeks ago? This McGee guy may have what it takes, but it’s not surprising that folks question the suggestion.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Is this a joke, I can’t tell? How is it homerism to question whether a position coach with proven success recruiting and coaching at GT would have more success than a random uga coach the majority of us had never heard of two weeks ago? This McGee guy may have what it takes, but it’s not surprising that folks question the suggestion.
It is also a lot easier to recruit five star players to ugag. Especially when they are handing out bags of money. Recruiting four star RBs to GT is a lot harder.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Some interesting conversation on HC fits for GT. Hopefully not a repost.

I like their list with the exception of Mendenhall. If we are going to ask someone to come out of retirement, we should ask Paul to do a Bill Synder and rescue us. You never know; he might do it, with the right guarantees.

But, yes, go after Chadwell first. And see if Clawson is interested. Problem = my guess is that we may end up with either BOB or Mullen; the coaching carousel may move past us before Tech can get the money together. And both would do quite well for us, I think. But … if Tech is willing to do the money, then we ought to offer Chadwell a nice fat contract before anyone else does.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not a joke. If a football person living in GA hasn’t heard of McGee and the massive amount of respect he has around here, they don’t know as much as they think. Absolutely love TC. Would love to have him back. Nothing makes me think he’s ready to be a HC. McGee has those credentials, whether some people realize it or not.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It is also a lot easier to recruit five star players to ugag. Especially when they are handing out bags of money. Recruiting four star RBs to GT is a lot harder.
Honestly his recruiting prowess is not the biggest draw for me. He’s not #1 on my list, but he’s high. He built his HS program from the ground up to dominance. That’s harder in some ways than coaching in college.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell and O'Brien should be our priorities right now. I've already gone over Chadwell. I really think O'Brien has been overlooked for college jobs because he's spent so much time in the NFL lately, and the way he closed his time with the Texans may have colored him as difficult and egotistical. What he did at PSU has really been overlooked. He was playing in the B1G with one hand tied behind his back...all he did was only lose 2 games in the B1G with walk ons and a walk on QB. His second season he beat two ranked teams in the B1G with a true freshmen QB and again lost only 2 games in conference. Keep in mind that was his first HC job on the college level. Imagine how much of a better HC he is now compared to then.

Make one of those guys say no, because if we can get either, GT will be winning a lot sooner than later.
I'd be pleased with either of those two. Both seem rock solid prospects. Chadwell's probably affordable. Wondering if we could afford O'Brien.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you truly believe that something related to the hiring on Heisman and Dodd relate to current experiences?

Folks saying they wouldn’t want Deion b/c of his celebrity status need to look closer at his time at JSU and maybe refresh their memory of some all time great Tech coaches. We have had success going down that path before (Heisman, Dodd)

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Deion, Chadwell, McGee or BOB. All seem like good candidates that bring something different to the table. Seems like we are in a much better position than we were a few years ago.

Cabrera seemed to say that they will get the money, and the academics side would help the athletic side. Will be interesting to watch it play itself out.

gtme2000

Georgia Tech Fan
Either of these HC would be good moneyball picks. One of these guys has proven successfull at multiple locations and working with the short end of the talent stick. 10 years ago IIRC GT had the 60-64th highest football budget in power 5. If a coach hasn’t shown the ability to compete with significantly less than his opponents then move on. You don’t fight the redcoats toe to toe you come at them sideways and chop them off at the knees. 😁