HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
2021 changed everything though. NIL deals mean Louisville can pull the #1 RB out of Texas and have a top 20 class. I think the idea we can't get top 25 classes based on pre NIL days is a bad hypothesis. It also means we need to rely less on a great recruiter.
Does that help or hurt? I’ve kind of drifted from football the post CPJ years given the rule changes but would assume that you would have to have an elite level (lots of $) marketing department to compete on nil. Honest question is does GT have the ability to try to recruit based on nil? I assume the programs with massive infrastructure and dollars didn’t on support staff have a big advantage there but again I confess I don’t know how the marketing staff correlates to nil dollars.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
Does that help or hurt? I’ve kind of drifted from football the post CPJ years given the rule changes but would assume that you would have to have an elite level (lots of $) marketing department to compete on nil. Honest question is does GT have the ability to try to recruit based on nil? I assume the programs with massive infrastructure and dollars didn’t on support staff have a big advantage there but again I confess I don’t know how the marketing staff correlates to nil dollars.
Also others have probably said this but seems hard to think deion coming to GT. I don’t know what his personal finances are but he seems really smart and seems like he would go somewhere where he thinks he can win national championship. I don’t really see GT as being a stepping stone for him. Taking on a pretty significant rebuild seems like he would just be risking his current political capital. The time to get him was after fl state went another direction. I fear he wouldn’t go to GT now because I think he is shooting for really big time results.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to rain on your parade, but ...

Jackson State has an acceptance rate of 69%, is classed as below average, average SAT of 930 and average ACT of 17. Tech has an acceptance rate of 23%, is classed as very selective/highly competitive, average SAT of 1465 and average ACT of 33.

How many JSU SA's do you think could cut it at Tech?

How many student athletes would loved to be coach by a legend himself in Deion who can cut it at tech? Probably a lot.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say one thing I don't care about at all is the new coaches contacts in the South.
When I look at the coaches who have built stable, winning programs in the ACC at schools that are not the more factory type schools (FSU, Clemson, Miami) - - I would place Clawson, Narduzzi and Doreen at the top. None of them had significant Southern background. Doreen came from Northern Ill, Narduzzi from Michigan St, Clawson from Bowling Green.

The most important thing is to find the coach who wants to be here, thinks he can win here, and has a plan for sustained winning understanding both the strengths and weaknesses of the program.

You can always hire a few assts who have strong ties to the area you recruit in.
If the coach we hire is from the SE, that is fine, but I wouldn't prioritize it in any way.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I’m hearing the top 3 candidates for HC in no particular order are:
Chadwell
McGee
Bill O’Brien
My order would be:
Bill O'Brien
Jamey Chadwell
Del McGee
with primary factors being 1) experience 2) level of competition faced and 3} NFL connections
But I very much like the overall field :buzz::) and would be excited about any of those 3 becoming HC.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m hearing the top 3 candidates for HC in no particular order are:
Chadwell
McGee
Bill O’Brien
I know who 1 and 3 are. Is the second guy the guy at Uga? His resume is worse than CGC's was when we hired him. I have to assume you are joking, esp. given that we have not hired an AD yet.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I know who 1 and 3 are. Is the second guy the guy at Uga? His resume is worse than CGC's was when we hired him. I have to assume you are joking, esp. given that we have not hired an AD yet.
I am not joking. He’s UGA’s running back coach. He’s UGA’s best recruiter and is HIGHLY HIGHLY respected. Every high school coach in the state loves him, has connections all over the state, very very very good recruiter. Has signed over 30 recruits ranked a 4 star or better. Was a HS head coach for multiple years at carver and restored that program. He’s is very very highly thought of in college football and especially in the state of GA.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
247 had a video with Bryce Koon and about 10 minutes in he dropped a little piece of info that everyone will love.

herb

Helluva Engineer
My order would be:
Bill O'Brien
Jamey Chadwell
Del McGee
with primary factors being 1) experience 2) level of competition faced and 3} NFL connections
But I very much like the overall field :buzz::) and would be excited about any of those 3 becoming HC.
Why would you be excited by McGee? I don’t understand given his resume