HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I remember a significant drop off when Friedgen left and O’Brien took over. I was never impressed with him at Tech. Not saying he wouldn’t be a good hire, just that he wasn’t Friedgen at OC, but then who is.

That was the early stages of O'Brien's career. He's since OC'd the Patriots (with the notoriously picky Belichek and Brady), turned two QBs at Penn State into NFL QBs, won his division in the NFL 4 out of 7 years with the Texans, with only 1 losing season out of 7 full years, and now he's operating one of the most efficient offenses in the college and coached a Heisman winner. Coaches do evolve over time.

EDIT: Looking at his history, GT was the first time he ever OC'd an offense.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Watch Deion end up at Georgia State! if he could talk a stud like Hunter into JSU, how many could he talk into Georgia State?

Why hasn't he talked more into committing to to JSU then? I think he had Hunter, 1 4star, and the rest were 3 stars last year. Houston landed a 5star kid once. We landed Calvin Johnson once. Howard landed a 5star basketball recruit. Some people just want to go to certain school because of personal relationships. Georgia Tech just like Georgia State has a pretty hard ceiling on who will go there regardless of the coach. Former GT OL coach Ron West recruited Da'Quon Bowers to Clemson, #1 recruit in the country #12 highest rated EVER by 247, he never even got a 4 star for us. The other thing people need to realize is NIL changes everything. I'd go play for a pile of wet cardboard with no personality for $150k cash and a free car. Heck Collins couldn't get us a 5 star and he was grabbed CeCe Jefferson for UF when he was there.

JacketFan137

Banned
That was the early stages of O'Brien's career. He's since OC'd the Patriots (with the notoriously picky Belichek and Brady), turned two QBs at Penn State into NFL QBs, won his division in the NFL 4 out of 7 years with the Texans, with only 1 losing season out of 7 full years, and now he's operating one of the most efficient offenses in the college and coached a Heisman winner. Coaches do evolve over time.

EDIT: Looking at his history, GT was the first time he ever OC'd an offense.
you’ve put a lot of lipstick on this pig

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
he’ll at least recruit well enough to get the players that can do that
I just don’t see that as a recipe for success. Im Sure his kids are really smart, but are we sure they will be able to transfer in academically? Outside of graduate transfer, I know in the past we have had problems with transfers being accepted academically. Maybe that has changed with the new transfer rule, or the school relaxed the requirement, but if I remember correctly there was a strange requirement to be able to transfer into GT that eliminated most transfers.

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan
This is probably not going to be received well. However, I just thought I would throw it out there. I am wondering if Kirby Smart will pick up Geoff Collins as a defensive analyst or something along that line. I believe he worked at Alabama for one or two years with Kirby.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Why hasn't he talked more into committing to to JSU then? I think he had Hunter, 1 4star, and the rest were 3 stars last year. Houston landed a 5star kid once. We landed Calvin Johnson once. Howard landed a 5star basketball recruit. Some people just want to go to certain school because of personal relationships. Georgia Tech just like Georgia State has a pretty hard ceiling on who will go there regardless of the coach. Former GT OL coach Ron West recruited Da'Quon Bowers to Clemson, #1 recruit in the country #12 highest rated EVER by 247, he never even got a 4 star for us. The other thing people need to realize is NIL changes everything. I'd go play for a pile of wet cardboard with no personality for $150k cash and a free car. Heck Collins couldn't get us a 5 star and he was grabbed CeCe Jefferson for UF when he was there.

Johnson was actually only a 5 star in retrospect at the time he was not rated a 5 star jsut a top recruit. (during his recruitment hte recruiting services were alot more stingy with five stars. once they changed their scale to basically make any recruit with a .94 rating or higher one. he got his fifth star but he was already playing with us when that happened.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is probably not going to be received well. However, I just thought I would throw it out there. I am wondering if Kirby Smart will pick up Geoff Collins as a defensive analyst or something along that line. I believe he worked at Alabama for one or two years with Kirby.

I think CGC is going to do fine if his job is the DC somewhere. He can focus on just that, and his history has proven he's an above average to good DC.

The job of head coach at GT was just too much for him.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of people are pointing out that Deion currently plays with a talent difference in his favor, which makes it much easier to win. This is a fair point to make but then the question would be raised, wouldn't he also have a talent advantage if he coached at Georgia Tech? Deion Sanders was able to bring JACKSON STATE the 75th best recruiting class in the nation in 2022, and the 61st in 2021. I think it is fair to say that given Georgia Tech's location and historical prominence, Deion would be able to bring in a top 15 class annually. I think Deion could do this at any school he's at, but particularly the one in the middle of Atlanta. Only three ACC teams had top 15 classes in 2022 and 2021. This suggests that for the most part in conference play Deion would have a favorable talent difference, not as stark as the one he currently has, but one nonetheless.

The other major difference with Deion that would work to help this issue of coaching "without a favorable talent difference" is that he most likely would be able to recruit a star studded coaching staff with him, given his allure and his trajectory in the sport. This would help to alleviate some of the scheme concerns some may have as it wouldn't necessarily be Deion pioneering the scheme.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Johnson was actually only a 5 star in retrospect at the time he was not rated a 5 star jsut a top recruit. (during his recruitment hte recruiting services were alot more stingy with five stars. once they changed their scale to basically make any recruit with a .94 rating or higher one. he got his fifth star but he was already playing with us when that happened.

Calvin Johnson was a 5 star recruit...he just wasn't a CONSENSUS 5 star recruit.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree with those above that Sanders would not be that interested: Tech won't let him do what he wants to do and it won't brush aside academics enough.

I'd be happy with Chadwell too, but I don't know if we can interest him.

Ok, who has head coaching experience, is a proven winner that Tech can afford, and would take the job?

To me, it comes down to two: Dan Mullen and Brian Bohannon.

Mullen would take the job because he wants to get back into coaching. He has a rep for doing well in bad situations and I think he could make things change very quickly. Besides, he would satisfy the "never option" crowd. Also, frankly, I trust a crabby coach more then a smooth one.

Bohannon has never had a losing season. He built a winning program from nothing. He's young, energetic, familiar with Tech and its constraints, and knows his offense almost as well as Paul (maybe as well; we should ask Paul about that). He would be my choice mainly because I don't doubt he'd win from the start and we can afford him. But … there is the "never option" crowd. Perhaps they have been sufficiently cowed by our present situation.

We'll see.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
You act like being 'Bama's OC is O'Briens only coaching history.

Bama fans want every coach gone...they were grumbling about Saban after they lost to UGA, and they grumble when 'Bama doesn't win the national championship. The temperature of an unrealistic fanbase is a poor way to gauge a coach's worth.
Meh. Watch the games. You’ll see their scheme is so much more inferior to Sark, Kiffin, Daboll, and even Locksley’s. Kiffin and Sark schemed guys open and had balanced offenses. BOB wants to throw 70% with a stable of backs and 5* lineman. We could never replicate that talent he’s wasting.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
What he did during his playing career doesn’t make a difference in his ability to coach. I was a huge DS fan growing up, I don’t see screaming success from a couple of years at jsu and a high school oc
Some people are just successful at whatever they do. Nothing about Collins screamed success. He was comfortable hire bc he had been at GT before and supposedly recruited well. Everything Deion has touched has been successful. Think he could be a differenice maker for our program and get us to the top of a weak ACC coastal division.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
Why hasn't he talked more into committing to to JSU then? I think he had Hunter, 1 4star, and the rest were 3 stars last year.
This is true, but they only took 8 players, and he hit the transfer portal HARD, grabbing four former four star recruits and a whole host of high three stars, as JSU came into the cycle looking to play the portal not the traditional recruiting game, which is another pro of Deion, he plays the portal game REAL well.

JacketFan137

Banned
This is true, but they only took 8 players, and he hit the transfer portal HARD, grabbing four former four star recruits and a whole host of high three stars, as JSU came into the cycle looking to play the portal not the traditional recruiting game, which is another pro of Deion, he plays the portal game REAL well.
portal recruiting has to be a focus for us. whether people like it or not that’s college football in 2022

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe this works out, IDK. But, a celebrity hire to create buzz scares me a bit.
Not sure this would be a celebrity hire. He is a celebrity, but this is not bringing in Michael Jordan to be president of a team with no experience. Maybe it would work out, maybe not. Maybe he’s interested, maybe not. He DID NOT need to get into coaching because of money. He obviously loves it. On the surface, he appears to be an old school and new school mix. He appears to discipline. He knows Xs and Os He recruited the best QB in the nation to an HBCU. He turned that same program into a winner. I have stated many times that I hated the CGF hire from the start (I wanted to have egg on my face) but I would be all about Deion coming here. If it is a disaster (it can’t be any worse than where we are) then we cross that bridge when we get there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
it’s “facts” but you’ve removed all nuance and slanted it to fit your point

Please, explain what exactly I "slanted". You're making these statements without backing anything up. What nuance am I missing that would shed a poor light on those facts.