HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Auburn still has a HC too. Make Prime Time turn us down.
You guys are missing the point here. The poster you are all replying said there's no upside to DEION choosing TECH. And he's right -- get paid one of the lowest wages in P5, have zero support from the administration, poor facilities, zero NIL support (granted Deion is maybe the only coach in the country who can generate his own NIL just due to his celeb status) - Deion would be more likely than not to fail at Tech. Deion will have plenty of offers for more money from loud and proud programs like Texas, Auburn, or WVU where he will have the tools to build a great program.

You have to remember how much demand there is for successful, program building coaches. Schools line up for them, not the other way around. It's the same reason Chadwell would never come to Tech.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Any thoughts on Ed Orgeron as an HC? He was pretty good at LSU, they just had a hard time competing w AL. He just hasnt been mentioned.
Hasn’t been mentioned in what context? He has $17M. And stated he doesnt want to coach again. We may as well pursue Joe Gibbs.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
other coaches have put their spit on recruiting and there’s more than one way to do it.

7 wins would be nice but you’re assuming those coaches are as good as paul (they’re not). no guarantees were even a lot better
I think it is a bigger leap that DS can get To 7 wins.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A "LOT" of reasons? I'd disagree. So far all I've heard to back that up is "media attention" (disappears if you don't win), he'll get recruits (no proof his recruiting philosophy at Jackson State works at GT),

I REALLY hope we do our research on Deion. He's an Atlanta legend, and would absolutely get us a boatload of media attention. But I'm a firm believer that GT needs a guy who gives us a schematic advantage. All of this talk about Deion has centered on "making a splash" or "recruiting"...I have yet to see anyone talk about Deion's schemes and how it would translate at the P5 level. GT is not out athleteing many (if any) P5 programs...we just fired a coach that has the 5th ranked most talented roster in the ACC according to 247. Would Deion get similar or improve on that? That's a VERY expensive question to answer if we hire Deion.

Like I said in another thread, I don't hate the idea of Deion, but I just rather go the Warren Buffet route. Hire a good proven coach regardless of "splash" factor, watch him win every year, and grow our program from the inside out instead of hoping all the "splash" from the outside will get us somewhere. I don't make the decisions, so that's just my $0.02.

Given the shift in the recruiting landscape due to portal and NIL changes, I think that Deion is now a better choice than he would have been 5 years ago. It's all a gamble, but I think it's a low risk gamble for us.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
O'Brien was playing walk ons and freshmen heavily that first year and second year at PSU. He never had a losing season his 2 years at PSU. People in coaching circles respect O'Brien, and he's hard nosed winner. He's also VERY smart...a graduate of Brown. He's been at Bama long enough to apply Saban's system at his next stop.

O'Brien is more of a college coach than pro coach...although he was a good coordinator for the Patriots. He was actually a pretty good pro head coach, he just had control issues and would trade any player who didn't agree with him...even his top end players (which is what ultimately got him fired). That doesn't fly in the NFL, but in college those are the best types of coaches. (See Saban, O'Leary).

IMO, he should be a Tier 1 coaching candidate.

EDIT: I'll also add, O'Brien also talked a 5 star QB into coming and playing for PSU during that how Paterno debacle. QBs and skill players will lineup to play for him...I'm sure he was a factor in Jahmyr Gibbs going to 'Bama.
BOB did not factor in Gibbs going to Bama. His offense is basically to put the ball in Bryce’s hands and wait for him to make a throw. Horribly unimaginative. Bama fans want him gone 11 games ago. Do not want him here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Given the shift in the recruiting landscape due to portal and NIL changes, I think that Deion is now a better choice than he would have been 5 years ago. It's all a gamble, but I think it's a low risk gamble for us.

Every coach is an gamble to some extent. I've said my peace on this. If we hire Deion, I'll 100% be behind him (or anyone else we hire) because he'll represent GT. Once a hire is made, that coach will get my support much like CGC did, CPJ did, Gailey did, O'Leary did, Lewis did, and Ross did.

JacketFan137

Banned
A "LOT" of reasons? I'd disagree. So far all I've heard to back that up is "media attention" (disappears if you don't win), he'll get recruits (no proof his recruiting philosophy at Jackson State works at GT),

I REALLY hope we do our research on Deion. He's an Atlanta legend, and would absolutely get us a boatload of media attention. But I'm a firm believer that GT needs a guy who gives us a schematic advantage. All of this talk about Deion has centered on "making a splash" or "recruiting"...I have yet to see anyone talk about Deion's schemes and how it would translate at the P5 level. GT is not out athleteing many (if any) P5 programs...we just fired a coach that has the 5th ranked most talented roster in the ACC according to 247. Would Deion get similar or improve on that? That's a VERY expensive question to answer if we hire Deion.

Like I said in another thread, I don't hate the idea of Deion, but I just rather go the Warren Buffet route. Hire a good proven coach regardless of "splash" factor, watch him win every year, and grow our program from the inside out instead of hoping all the "splash" from the outside will get us somewhere. I don't make the decisions, so that's just my $0.02.
we all know what people mean by schematic advantage. we don’t have to start that talk again.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hasn’t been mentioned in what context? He has $17M. And stated he doesnt want to coach again. We may as well pursue Joe Gibbs.
Oberon and his twenty something girlfriend are living in Destin and walking on the beach every morning. Why would he want to come here?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
BOB did not factor in Gibbs going to Bama. His offense is basically to put the ball in Bryce’s hands and wait for him to make a throw. Horribly unimaginative. Bama fans want him gone 11 games ago. Do not want him here.

You act like being 'Bama's OC is O'Briens only coaching history.

Bama fans want every coach gone...they were grumbling about Saban after they lost to UGA, and they grumble when 'Bama doesn't win the national championship. The temperature of an unrealistic fanbase is a poor way to gauge a coach's worth.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this even though I think Deion has zero interest in GT. If we want to keep up in NIL, the money will need to come from people/corporations who have zero Tech affiliation and just want to ride the coattails of a celebrity. Are there any more attainable celebs we could take a flyer on? Peyton Manning? Pat McAfee?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
we all know what people mean by schematic advantage. we don’t have to start that talk again.

Do explain what YOU mean by "schematic advantage".

Friedgen had a schematic advantage. Gailey had a schematic advantage. CPJ had a schematic advantage. If you mean the "triple option", then you are wrong. Only one of those coaches ran the "triple option".

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I understand, but because we made the mistake of zigging when we should have zagged, we shouldn't make the mirror image mistake of zagging when we should be zigging. We do need recruiting. Deion differs from Collins in a lot of ways, especially in discipline and inspiration and communication. We shouldn't shy away from him because he's a recruiter. But I get the hesitation. Main thing with me is we don't know how well he can develop players. That's where we would be rolling the dice.
I hear yea, but just a couple of season at a school that doesn’t have that much competition, i think it is destined to fail. If he had been there for 7 or 8 season then I would feel a little bit better. Between his sons and a couple other D1 kids, they are way more talented then who they play. It was one of my issues with gc. He spent only 2 year at different stops. You could say if the success was because of him or in spite of him.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I hear yea, but just a couple of season at a school that doesn’t have that much competition, i think it is destined to fail. If he had been there for 7 or 8 season then I would feel a little bit better. Between his sons and a couple other D1 kids, they are way more talented then who they play. It was one of my issues with gc. He spent only 2 year at different stops. You could say if the success was because of him or in spite of him.
Some people are just successful at whatever they do. Nothing about Collins screamed success. He was comfortable hire bc he had been at GT before and supposedly recruited well. Everything Deion has touched has been successful. Think he could be a differenice maker for our program and get us to the top of a weak ACC coastal division.