HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
He has been a position coach almost exclusively and never a coordinator for more than a year... Sure, he's had a better coaching career then me, but I don't think it's something that would warrant a look as the HC here at Tech.
I mean he’s still in the league when guys like Bob and Pat had to go back to the college ranks. *shrugs*

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He has been a position coach almost exclusively and never a coordinator for more than a year... Sure, he's had a better coaching career then me, but I don't think it's something that would warrant a look as the HC here at Tech.

Dabo was never a coordinator until the last half season he was an assistant. He was a position coach all his career until then.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Bronco Mendenhall is my first choice. I think 1) he wants to coach again 2) proven record 3) showed can restore a program as he did at UVA.

I know he is not sexy and will listen about others but ........
Bronco left his last job to spend more time with his family. He doesn’t want to coach right now.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean he’s still in the league when guys like Bob and Pat had to go back to the college ranks. *shrugs*
My brother in Christ, coaching in the NFL is a completely different game. Saban is the best coach in the history of college football and only lasted a year in the NFL. Spurrier was an NFL failure after being wildly successful at Florida and Duke.

Being a position coach in the NFL doesn't mean you are better coach than some other guy, you just might be a better fit in the NFL.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
My brother in Christ, coaching in the NFL is a completely different game. Saban is the best coach in the history of college football and only lasted a year in the NFL. Spurrier was an NFL failure after being wildly successful at Florida and Duke.

Being a position coach in the NFL doesn't mean you are better coach than some other guy, you just might be a better fit in the NFL.
Yes, but if anything the NFL will spit you out even faster. They don’t keep guys in the league that they think can’t hack it even if they were good in college like your list above. Yet he’s still in the league for a reason.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
If anything, he’s just playing us for leverage for something better.
That wouldn’t be the case most likely. FSU isn’t opening this year with Norvell appearing to turn a corner, he doesn’t want to deal with the auburn boosters and the culture they have over the program. Deion really loves the city of Atlanta and knows he could turn a lot of heads and create a buzz around this program due to the city of Atlanta and his media attention.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I knew he stepped away from UVA but thought he was too young to be totally out of it. Good for him! Thanks for the response/letting me know
I read this article recently and he is in Montana ranching and said he might be interested in coaching again.

JacketFan137

Banned
Ok. Explain it to me. What is the upside for Deion to take on Georgia Tech? Inquiring minds want to know ...
1. low expectations. ignoring collins our last two regimes averaged 7 wins a season. not exactly a high bar. also knows this fanbase is STARVING and two good seasons would make him a cult hero.

2. location/market. while auburn isn’t far you are literally in the epicenter of football in the south. great high schools you can just go watch and be ready for kickoff the next day. i think deion would also be able to leverage the 404/atlanta stuff collins envisioned but deion would actually be able to capitalize since he isn’t a goofball

3. much more realistic path to winning/competing to win the conference. auburn having to play uga and bama in conference is brutal. we get clemson but that’s only 1 conference game and frankly not as tough to beat

4. i think deion cares a lot about giving kids opportunities and he would really lean into giving kids the chance to get a great degree. listening to what he says at jackson state makes me think he isn’t just here to play football factory

at the end of the day you watch national media and everyone talks about how tech is a sleeping giant. georgia tech fans are the only ones that talk about our program like no one would want to come here. even clemson, uga, and other acc fans talk about how tech should be in a better spot than we have been the last 20 years

JacketFan137

Banned
My top choices …

Jamey Chadwell (can he recruit?)
Bill Clark (is he healthy?)
Bill O’Brien (please bring Choice back as AHC or Corey Dennis … next HC when Bill moves on?)
Tom Manning (Influenced by Matt Campbell? Sign me up).

Both Bills stand out as folks who have lead teams through tough times and have proven themselves as having the right experience for where we are now.

If we were moving on from CPJ - I’d be all in on Deion. I’ve come to the conclusion this approach doesn’t work at tech.
coming to the conclusion that approach doesn’t work at tech is bad process. all we’ve learned is collins can’t coach here.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
How much though? Just like “I’ll hear you out” or “if the moneys right, why not” or “I absolutely want to come back to Atlanta” these are all very different
From what I’ve heard it’s a mix between “if the moneys right, why not” and “I absolutely want to come back to Atlanta”. The interest he has is legitimate tho, it’s not some fake interest.