HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I see a lot of talk about McGee.

If we hire anyone from uga not named Monken we are doing it wrong...
I would like either of them. I agree that Monken is the better option. But if he says no, it's not like McGee is a bad option. He's an excellent recruiter and player developer. He also has deep ties to the state.

And who knows? Wouldn't it nice if we grabbed Monken as HC and he brought MeGee with him? Can't a girl dream????

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
More stuff

{post is not an endorsement--but there are lots of great black coaching candidates. Maybe WE should get KC's OC Eric Bieniemy--he could make up for 5th down. }

I'll bet there were a number of black HC candidates Tech could have considered last go-around. You know, when supposedly there were only about two people in the country would have taken the job. :rolleyes:
That having been said, I don't care what color he is as long as he can coach.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key is not the answer at HC, in my opinion, but I do appreciate him doing the interim position for now - I do believe he might implement needed discipline and accountability that will at least lead to less embarrassment in our games. But, in no way do I expect to win many games. I hope we can beat Duke next week, but they have looked much better than us through week 4.

GT will always needs the following to be able to compete in P5 football, especially in today's NIL, transfer portal driven P5 football (after all, we are a world class STEM school - the only STEM school outside of the academies to even attempt division 1 football):
- Superior, innovative play caller on O that can make in game adjustments - smartest guy on the field.
- Recruiting acumen to find and develop 3-star rated players that have a higher ceiling than their rating would suggest
- Recruit nationwide/worldwide for players that want the STEM education - very difficult, especially for DL's. We must utilize the portal as well, but this is not so easy either, as the Hill (GT administration) puts major restrictions on transfers.

I support hiring, if we can afford him, and he wants a challenge, Coach Chadwell from Coastal Carolina. I would also support Jeff Monken from Army or Bohannon from Kennesaw St., but our elitist $$ guys will not accept a guy labeled as an option coach. These elitist guys are the ones that got us in trouble with Coach C******, but they are also the ones that had to pay him all of the wasted $$, so I guess they got the consequences of their choice.

JacketFan137

Banned
Brent Key is not the answer at HC, in my opinion, but I do appreciate him doing the interim position for now - I do believe he might implement needed discipline and accountability that will at least lead to less embarrassment in our games. But, in no way do I expect to win many games. I hope we can beat Duke next week, but they have looked much better than us through week 4.

GT will always needs the following to be able to compete in P5 football, especially in today's NIL, transfer portal driven P5 football (after all, we are a world class STEM school - the only STEM school outside of the academies to even attempt division 1 football):
- Superior, innovative play caller on O that can make in game adjustments - smartest guy on the field.
- Recruiting acumen to find and develop 3-star rated players that have a higher ceiling than their rating would suggest
- Recruit nationwide/worldwide for players that want the STEM education - very difficult, especially for DL's. We must utilize the portal as well, but this is not so easy either, as the Hill (GT administration) puts major restrictions on transfers.

I support hiring, if we can afford him, and he wants a challenge, Coach Chadwell from Coastal Carolina. I would also support Jeff Monken from Army or Bohannon from Kennesaw St., but our elitist $$ guys will not accept a guy labeled as an option coach. These elitist guys are the ones that got us in trouble with Coach C******, but they are also the ones that had to pay him all of the wasted $$, so I guess they got the consequences of their choice.
chadwell is a solid hire. bohannon and monken are not

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
chadwell is a solid hire. bohannon and monken are not
And, that my friend, is where we disagree and why I have you on "ignore", although I chose to read your post this time.

I know you hate the option, and that is fine, and you do not need to re-post your reasoning for your displeasure of the system. We agree to disagree.

But, remember, you believed C****** was a solid hire at the time, as well.

JacketFan137

Banned
And, that my friend, is where we disagree and why I have you on "ignore", although I chose to read your post this time.

I know you hate the option, and that is fine, and you do not need to re-post your reasoning for your displeasure of the system. We agree to disagree.
i don’t hate the option. you just assume that because you can’t handle criticism of your deified offense and choose to look at the font rather than the information. that’s fine though!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think we are going to need a transition coach to rebuild/stabilize the program. Get a retired coach (similar to what UNC did) to come in for a couple years then try to hire a good coach. This’ll take 4-5 years to get the program back to competitive.

slugboy

Staff member

Monken and Bohannon are smart coaches. I don’t know that Bohannon will ever make it to FBS or even further to P5, but there are coaches in FBS that don’t belong here, and there are coaches in lower classifications that deserve a shot. Monken and Bohannon aren’t considered for a lot of positions because they’re stereotyped as option coaches.

Nebraska would be REALLY smart to try to grab one of them, but they won’t do it.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Monken and Bohannon are smart coaches. I don’t know that Bohannon will ever make it to FBS or even further to P5, but there are coaches in FBS that don’t belong here, and there are coaches in lower classifications that deserve a shot. Monken and Bohannon aren’t considered for a lot of positions because they’re stereotyped as option coaches.

Nebraska would be REALLY smart to try to grab one of them, but they won’t do it.
Good response to my post. I just wanna have a chance to win and have some special seasons - I am in no way locked to a specific offense, but most of our success the past 30+ years has occurred when we had the smartest play caller on the field. (Friedgen and Johnson) I would be delighted with either of those gentlemen as our HC (Monken/Bohannon), but I do realize it won't happen.

That is why I have put my #1 support on Chadwell.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think we are going to need a transition coach to rebuild/stabilize the program. Get a retired coach (similar to what UNC did) to come in for a couple years then try to hire a good coach. This’ll take 4-5 years to get the program back to competitive.
i am not sure we need a transition coach. watching us play i feel like we have a roster capable of winning in the acc. not saying 10 wins or anything but i think we have the athletes to play with teams on our schedule not named clemson or uga. just need the coaches to squeeze a little extra out of our roster

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I do not care who we hire or what offense / defense he runs as long as it effective and we win consistently. I do think there are more challenges to CPJs offense than others. Especially with the blocking rules changes. However, I do believe the right coach could overcome those challenges and be successful at Tech. I will add, I do not hear my non Tech friends make fun of our offense as much any more.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Soooooo PJ then?

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow

Bohannon has also had to build a program from the ground up, recruits Atlanta already, and when we lost him as qb coach, things weren't as smooth. The guy can flat out coach football