HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
regardless of whether or not that was his fault, he was the benefactor of cheating. he lost 18 wins because his team wasn’t eligible. it raises concerns over whether or not he is a good coach.

would still probably have him as one of the top candidates but he should not be the priority and isn’t the best candidate available by any stretch of the imagination
He can’t do a single thing about ineligible players when it was the schools fault. He had nothing to do with 18 vacated wins and it wasn’t his fault at all. How in the world does that raise concerns whether or not he is a good coach?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Good post! I get why you'd say that, dude, but I have the following two reasons it doesn't carry a ton of weight with me.

1) Those two seasons were 2 of the first 3 seasons of a program moving up from FCS to FBS. That's a LOT of building that has to be done.
2) He recruited Grayson McCall. If anything "he got the guy he wanted and then had huge success with him" sounds like exactly the recipe you guys want, no?

Would love that. But just like Gus Malzahn recruited Nick Marshal and never hit on a QB for his every again, I don’t think you can assume he’s going to keep getting those types of players. Even Gus was able to OC at least one other QB at a high level even if he didn’t recruit him. Jimbo Fisher was never able to get another Winston and people are kind of fed up with him. He could be great, but labeling him as “blindingly obvious” downplays they fact there are legitimate concerns to go along with the positives on his resume.

JacketFan137

Banned
Bro, we get it...if someone writes something you disagree with, it's not true in your eyes.

@ilovetheoption already explained the first 2 years at Coastal to you, you just choose not to accept it. Last I checked, I didn't know coaches got dinged for recruiting and developing players...in what world does a coach get penalized for recruiting a 2 star player, and developing that player into a 4star college all star? Only on a GT message board. Oh, let's not acknowledge that there's an entire team that was developed into the 11 win a year team they've become.

As for his time at Charleston Southern, it sounds like you are again running your mouth without any real facts.

This is the same situation that occurred at GT decades ago. Coaches recruit and coach, and the compliance people are the ones that certify athletes. That's not the coach's job. The compliance department screwed the pooch across the entire athletic department, and that affected multiple athletes across multiple sports...it wasn't just Chadwell's program that was affected.

Also, notice how Chadwell was never once cited for any wrongdoing in the NCAA report.

Of course, these are just facts not opinions...so you'll probably dismiss it.
i am not blaming him for it but he was the benefactor. career record of 78-54. that’s ok at best but you’re talking about him like he’s just winning constantly non stop.

that paces out to 6.8 wins over 12 game seasons. it’s better than collins but acting like he is just some relentless winner everywhere is lying to yourself. he has very legitimate concerns when it comes to his hiring. to ignore that is just spitting in the face of logic and reason right now. the coaching staff thing is a massive concern if he still feels that way. his recruiting begs a lot of questions too.

he’s clearly more interesting than dan mullen, monken, bill o brien and others commonly suggested

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i am not blaming him for it but he was the benefactor. career record of 78-54. that’s ok at best but you’re talking about him like he’s just winning constantly non stop.

that paces out to 6.8 wins over 12 game seasons. it’s better than collins but acting like he is just some relentless winner everywhere is lying to yourself. he has very legitimate concerns when it comes to his hiring. to ignore that is just spitting in the face of logic and reason right now. the coaching staff thing is a massive concern if he still feels that way. his recruiting begs a lot of questions too.

he’s clearly more interesting than dan mullen, monken, bill o brien and others commonly suggested

You again ignoring facts.

His entire coaching record is 94-54, not 78-54. That's pretty good...even better when you consider that he was rebuilding programs...which meant his early years at each stop had a negative impact on his overall coaching record. At every stop, after his first 1-2 years, the programs took off.

Aren't you the one that was preaching about nuance yesterday?

JacketFan137

Banned
You again ignoring facts.

His entire coaching record is 94-54, not 78-54. That's pretty good...even better when you consider that he was rebuilding programs...which meant his early years at each stop had a negative impact on his overall coaching record. At every stop, after his first 1-2 years, the programs took off.

Aren't you the one that was preaching about nuance yesterday?
you’re counting vacated wins. should be 76-54 actually i was incorrect.

we’re clogging the thread. you clearly have your ideas. if you want to continue this is probably better for dm’s

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Would love that. But just like Gus Malzahn recruited Nick Marshal and never hit on a QB for his every again, I don’t think you can assume he’s going to keep getting those types of players. Even Gus was able to OC at least one other QB at a high level even if he didn’t recruit him. Jimbo Fisher was never able to get another Winston and people are kind of fed up with him. He could be great, but labeling him as “blindingly obvious” downplays they fact there are legitimate concerns to go along with the positives on his resume.
CCU is not Chadwell's first rebuilding stop, but his third. His CV cannot be distilled to 1 QB.
There is absolutely risk with Chadwell. There's risk with any coach. Stuff happens. But I'd challenge anyone to come up with someone with a better combination of upside and risk profile than Chadwell who would reasonably be available to Tech as part of this search.
That's all you can really do when looking at coaches like this. Maximize upside while minimizing risk to make the optimal choice.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Y’all 2 are just so anti Chadwell it’s insane. For no good reason. You can’t even get your facts straight about Malzahn either. He never recruited Nick Marshall. Marshall signed as a DB to UGA, and transferred out as an athlete to Auburn. Malzahn saw his athletic ability and stuck him at QB, and rode him to the national title game.

The fact that you’re acting like Grayson McCall is some ungodly, otherworldly talent that can’t be replaced is hilarious. Chadwell’s offensive scheme is a big reason why McCall is putting up the numbers he is. You could put Jordan Yates in that offense and he’d be a superstar too. It’s part of development. It’s part of what separates good coaches from bad coaches. Being able to coach a player, and put them in positions to consistently succeed and draw out the best of their abilities. If McCall was playing at any other G5 running a standard spread set a la Georgia State or Tulsa, you wouldn’t even know his name. He’d be just another guy. The fact that McCall is playing the way he is should be more of a credit to Chadwell than some sort of cautious undertake about his risks.

I mean just watch this CCU offensive film from last year’s Kansas game:

McCall doesn’t do anything special. He doesn’t have elite arm talent, he’s not super fast, and he still makes some really bad decisions with the ball. I honestly think you could sub in Tevin Washington or Justin Thomas for McCall here and their offense would look identical, if not better. McCall is a tough runner, and he’s quick to make his reads, but just about every QB Tech under PJ had those same traits. He’s not Trevor Lawrence or Jameis Winston. Hell I don’t even think he’s Kenny Pickett. But he’s doing exactly what Chadwell is asking him to do and it’s working out pretty well for them both, don’t ya think?

PS, for folks on the fence about Chadwell who maybe haven’t seen a lot of his stuff. Please watch that game film. It’s rapid fire cuts of offensive plays. It looks like one of the most fun to watch offenses you could ever think of. Like CPJ meets Lane Kiffin. It’s nuts, and I think it will play here just as well as it does at CCU.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
What if we get the Chadwell that went 2-6 in conference without Grayson McCall? Or the one that went 3-9 without Grayson McCall? It isn't as blinding as you think, there are legitimate concerns that his success are more due to having a great QB for his system more than anything else.
Some in the Sun Belt are not impressed by him.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
No reason to be nervous that the same group that led us to CGC is going to lead us into another debacle, the group who led us to CGC is no longer employed by tech and was fired today. Both of the people who found the Collins to tech idea were both fired today.

Was someone else fired or are you talking about just Collins and Stansbury?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. But that's who you are, and that's who you're going to be.

To channel Rick Pitino; T Boone Pickens is not walking through that door. The alumni of yours that HAVE that kind of money aren't the kind of alumni that spend it on the football program. If they were, they would have.

You guys are bosses, you know the truth: The best predictor of future performance is past performance, and at this point it is what it is. GT is going to recruit in the 30-50 range, with the occasional top 30 class, and the occasional class worse than 50.

The numbers are the numbers. #=#
And that my friends is why we need the next Paul Johnson.........Jamey Chadwell.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

that paces out to 6.8 wins over 12 game seasons. it’s better than collins but acting like he is just some relentless winner everywhere is lying to yourself. he has very legitimate concerns when it comes to his hiring. to ignore that is just spitting in the face of logic and reason right now. the coaching staff thing is a massive concern if he still feels that waO'than"interesting"y. his recruiting begs a lot of questions too.

Why more "interesting" than O'Brien ?

slugboy

Staff member
Local people plugged into the high school community love Kenyatta Watson and our RB coach Mike Daniels. They're people you'd want to keep for their recruiting impact. I'm not sure how far "staff" goes, but if Chadwell comes here, there are other people on staff that he should want to keep. I don't know if he will want to keep them, but there are keepers on this staff.

kalld12

Banned
Guys....

You guys have had exactly one top 25 recruiting class this century, and the guy responsible for it just got run out of town on a clown car.

You guys are Georgia Tech guys, you believe in numbers, and letting the data guide you. You guys ran the experiment with Jeff collins, you got the biggest best recruiter, the biggest best brander, the guy most focused on taking advantage of the Atlanta market, who loved tech, and who wanted to get it done through recruiting, and the result was today.

The idea that Deion Sanders who until a year and a half ago was a high school coach, is going to come in and make you what you're not is more than a little silly, to me.

Get a guy who can coach the living hell out of the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, because the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, and the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech, and that hasn't changed in a generation now, and it's probably not ever going to.
Terrible take. He was a great recruiter and terrible coach/sideline coach. If Deion can be both and win, then the ceiling is much higher than we just saw recruiting wise from Geoff. Open your eyes a little wider, it isn't rocket science to see this.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
All this talk of dropping down to Division 2 is ridiculous. Why would we do that? We wouldn’t. Our other sports are competitive, across the board. A bad hire for football doesn’t justify dropping down to a lesser division. We had a really good recruiting class just 3 years ago. You just have the coaching and staff be somewhat competent football coaches to keep them.

Also, while winning a Natty would be fantastic, let’s not be delusional. Let’s get a good coach who will make the team competitive each year, inspire the team to play hard for all 60 minutes of the game, and hopefully a coach who knows when to effectively use a timeout.

Would Deion be a fun coach to watch and shake up the program? Absolutely. Do I want him as coach? Absolutely. Is it likely he comes to Tech? No. But there is a chance.

Give me the Coastal Carolina guy or Mullen.

Can someone please get the ugag trolls off the board and stop the Div 2 nonsense talk.

kalld12

Banned
All this talk of dropping down to Division 2 is ridiculous. Why would we do that? We wouldn’t. Our other sports are competitive, across the board. A bad hire for football doesn’t justify dropping down to a lesser division. We had a really good recruiting class just 3 years ago. You just have the coaching and staff be somewhat competent football coaches to keep them.

Also, while winning a Natty would be fantastic, let’s not be delusional. Let’s get a good coach who will make the team competitive each year, inspire the team to play hard for all 60 minutes of the game, and hopefully a coach who knows when to effectively use a timeout.

Would Deion be a fun coach to watch and shake up the program? Absolutely. Do I want him as coach? Absolutely. Is it likely he comes to Tech? No. But there is a chance.

Give me the Coastal Carolina guy or Mullen.

Can someone please get the ugag trolls off the board and stop the Div 2 nonsense talk.
Agreed, STUPID and will never happen!

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Was someone else fired or are you talking about just Collins and Stansbury?
Just talking about Collins and Stansbury. Collins came to tech about the job. Stansbury was dead set on hiring WisenHunt but boosters found out search Todd kept everything in that search close to himself and they were outraged. Collins then came to tech about the job. Stansbury had no backup plan for WisenHunt and he was caught with his pants at his ankles and his **** hanging out.

JacketFan137

Banned
Why more "interesting" than O'Brien ?
id like to get a guy that a fanbase doesn’t want to lose. any bama fan you talk to, any thread you see on their forums, any thread on twitter/other social media everyone is begging for him to go. is it spoiled bama fans? absolutely. i just don’t love the idea of bringing in a guy a fanbase feels is actively holding the team back and is looking suspect at times with FAR superior talent than he has at tech.

chadwell and deion are my two favorites right now and i feel like both of them, while not without concerns, have way more upside and potential and could take our program further.

i think our program more than anything right now needs a hire that will energize the fanbase a little bit as people were getting soured at the end of johnson’s tenure and collins flat out ran everything in the dirt. i feel like we have to “win” the hiring process right now to earn some goodwill back and guys like o brien, dan mullen, etc., while prudent hires don’t excite the fanbase enough

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell is the blindingly obvious choice, to me. I could wrap my head around a guy like O'Brien, or maybe the dude at WKU, but if I'm doing this, Chadwell is the first call I make, and if he says no, he's the second call I make, too.
If we hired Chadwell, would it bring you back? That’s enough reason to bring him on board alone.

In all seriousness, I appreciate your insight when it comes to option football, have you seen a more elaborate use of blocking and motion in a non CPJ offense? Chadwell is dynamic.

dcall

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know if he's been mentioned yet, but I would personally like to do whatever it takes to get the HC from Kansas. It is harder to win there than just about any other school and he's got them at 3-0 right now. I looked him up, Lance Leipold is his name. Guy has been successful everywhere he's been and I can't imagine he would be hard to get. He has won 6 Dlll national championships, he's gotten to 100 wins faster than any coach in NCAA history, left Buffalo for Kansas and did so with a 6-1 record and a bowl win as well as having them in the top 25.

Last edited: