HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Guys....

You guys have had exactly one top 25 recruiting class this century, and the guy responsible for it just got run out of town on a clown car.

You guys are Georgia Tech guys, you believe in numbers, and letting the data guide you. You guys ran the experiment with Jeff collins, you got the biggest best recruiter, the biggest best brander, the guy most focused on taking advantage of the Atlanta market, who loved tech, and who wanted to get it done through recruiting, and the result was today.

The idea that Deion Sanders who until a year and a half ago was a high school coach, is going to come in and make you what you're not is more than a little silly, to me.

Get a guy who can coach the living hell out of the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, because the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, and the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech, and that hasn't changed in a generation now, and it's probably not ever going to.

If you've been keeping track, it sounds like there's a faction that still want to maintain control with "their guy"...both in the AD spot, and HC of the team. That's what got us into this mess. The fact that we're talking about Deion (BTW, conveniently no one has brought up Prime Prep Academy and Deion's role there...look it up.) and someone like Dell McGee as serious candidates tells me GT is gonna GT again.

Now there's talk of Chadwell wanting to bring his staff, you know the staff that's won 22 games the previous two years, and is 4-0 this year, and that's somehow a negative is mind blowing. Sounds like they know Chadwell won't put up with outside crap (specifically, donors getting in his way) so now the public campaign to have GT fans turn the page is underway. Jamey Chadwell would coach circles around most of the ACC coaches, and he doesn't need to recruit top end talent to do it. I think a guy like Bill O'Brien would do the same. O'Brien has even less patience for outside noise.

There are PLENTY of good candidates out there...but I'm getting a nervous that the same group that led us to CGC is going to lead us into another debacle.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If you've been keeping track, it sounds like there's a faction that still want to maintain control with "their guy"...both in the AD spot, and HC of the team. That's what got us into this mess. The fact that we're talking about Deion (BTW, conveniently no one has brought up Prime Prep Academy and Deion's role there...look it up.) and someone like Dell McGee as serious candidates tells me GT is gonna GT again.

Now there's talk of Chadwell wanting to bring his staff, you know the staff that's won 22 games the previous two years, and is 4-0 this year, and that's somehow a negative is mind blowing. Sounds like they know Chadwell won't put up with outside crap (specifically, donors getting in his way) so now the public campaign to have GT fans turn the page is underway. Jamey Chadwell would coach circles around most of the ACC coaches, and he doesn't need to recruit top end talent to do it. I think a guy like Bill O'Brien would do the same. O'Brien has even less patience for outside noise.

There are PLENTY of good candidates out there...but I'm getting a nervous that the same group that led us to CGC is going to lead us into another debacle.

Chadwell is the blindingly obvious choice, to me. I could wrap my head around a guy like O'Brien, or maybe the dude at WKU, but if I'm doing this, Chadwell is the first call I make, and if he says no, he's the second call I make, too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell is the blindingly obvious choice, to me. I could wrap my head around a guy like O'Brien, or maybe the dude at WKU, but if I'm doing this, Chadwell is the first call I make, and if he says no, he's the second call I make, too.

It's the obvious choice for a LOT of people...that includes a lot of people outside of the GT bubble. Of course, we're GT, and we like to do things the hard way...so 🤷‍♂️

JacketFan137

Banned
Not really. It's more like "giving up on recruiting your way to the top, because the way you recruit your way to the top in 2022 is with a CRAPTON of money, and GT has neither the alumni base, nor the national fanbase, nor the inclination to do so"

Collins pulled in a top 25 class in 2007 because he's a FANTASTIC recruiter, and got a little lucky. The classes immediately before and after that were in the "tech range". The fact that in his second run, he had settled into classes in the ~40 range (right around where Paul Johnson recruited, maybe a little better. Right around where Chan Gailey recruit) speaks to the fact that the overwhelming majority of the time, a school recruits how a school recruits, and coaches don't really change that all that much, especially over time.

I agree about playing to win, actually. The FIRST thing you have to do is be honest with yourself, and you're not.
collins recruited at the same level as paul johnson while going 3-9 and apparently being the biggest laughingstock in college football according to many users here. if he goes 6-6 instead of 3-9 he is probably able to ride some of the momentum into similar if not better recruiting classes.

you are giving up on recruiting because of one bad hire. be honest with yourself boss. recruiting is part of coaching. period. we need a good recruiter and coach. period. that really shouldn’t be a controversial opinion whatsoever but for some reason it has become one around here for a handful of users. recruiting is the driving force of the sport and has to be one of the main focuses of any staff brought into any school. that is the reality of power 5 football. if tech feels like we can’t consistently recruit top 30 classes, then we need to reconsider p5 football. vanderbilt and rutgers were at 32 and 33 last year and you wanna pretend like tech can’t do that.

seriously lol you’re being ridiculous here

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
collins recruited at the same level as paul johnson while going 3-9 and apparently being the biggest laughingstock in college football according to many users here. if he goes 6-6 instead of 3-9 he is probably able to ride some of the momentum into similar if not better recruiting classes.

you are giving up on recruiting because of one bad hire. be honest with yourself boss. recruiting is part of coaching. period. we need a good recruiter and coach. period. that really shouldn’t be a controversial opinion whatsoever but for some reason it has become one around here for a handful of users. recruiting is the driving force of the sport and has to be one of the main focuses of any staff brought into any school. that is the reality of power 5 football. if tech feels like we can’t consistently recruit top 30 classes, then we need to reconsider p5 football. vanderbilt and rutgers were at 32 and 33 last year and you wanna pretend like tech can’t do that.

seriously lol you’re being ridiculous

....do you believe that your school is not on the level of Vanderbilt and Rutgers, in terms of attractiveness to recruits?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck

What if we get the Chadwell that went 2-6 in conference without Grayson McCall? Or the one that went 3-9 without Grayson McCall? It isn't as blinding as you think, there are legitimate concerns that his success are more due to having a great QB for his system more than anything else.

JacketFan137

Banned
....do you believe that your school is not on the level of Vanderbilt and Rutgers, in terms of attractiveness to recruits?
why do i have to debate with a tech “fan” that a we are a more appealing destination than vanderbilt and rutgers?

this convo is going nowhere since you’ve completely shut out the possibility of tech being a place someone can recruit at

Techster

Helluva Engineer

4 years ago I would have told you you were insulting GT. Now? Well, now we're probably looking up at Vandy and Rutgers.

If we don't right this ship soon, both will leave us in the dust once the new B1G and SEC media contracts kick in.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
What if we get the Chadwell that went 2-6 in conference without Grayson McCall? Or the one that went 3-9 without Grayson McCall? It isn't as blinding as you think, there are legitimate concerns that his success are more due to having a great QB for his system more than anything else.

Good post! I get why you'd say that, dude, but I have the following two reasons it doesn't carry a ton of weight with me.

1) Those two seasons were 2 of the first 3 seasons of a program moving up from FCS to FBS. That's a LOT of building that has to be done.
2) He recruited Grayson McCall. If anything "he got the guy he wanted and then had huge success with him" sounds like exactly the recipe you guys want, no?

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
chadwell would be an upgrade from collins and i wouldn’t mind the hire, but it’s funny that he has some of the most glaring question marks hanging over him yet they are all ignored

i wonder why that is?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer

No reason to be nervous that the same group that led us to CGC is going to lead us into another debacle, the group who led us to CGC is no longer employed by tech and was fired today. Both of the people who found the Collins to tech idea were both fired today.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
why do i have to debate with a tech “fan” that a we are a more appealing destination than vanderbilt and rutgers?

this convo is going nowhere since you’ve completely shut out the possibility of tech being a place someone can recruit at

I haven't completely shut it out, I just haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

It's possible that I'm wrong, and GT has just had an unlucky streak of a quarter-century of consistently "meh" recruiting, and that the underlying fundamentals are not playing out, and it'll regress to the mean, and you'll start pulling in consistent top 25 recruiting classes.

That said, until I see it, at this point, it feels less like a plan, and more like a wish.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
chadwell would be an upgrade from collins and i wouldn’t mind the hire, but it’s funny that he has some of the most glaring question marks hanging over him yet they are all ignored

i wonder why that is?

LOL, they've been addressed, you just choose to not see them. Also, see his record before he got to Coastal Carolina where he also won big. Chadwell builds programs...and he does it with pure coaching.

Right now, GT is a program that needs rebuilding.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins brought over a mediocre G5 staff. They all either had a track record of being nothing burgers or having little to no experience at all.
Chadwell's staff has done more at Coastal than any of those guys will ever do in their careers.
Chadwell has built up 3 programs during his career across various levels while starting with basically nothing.
Yeah, you face tougher coaches in the ACC than you do in the Sun Belt but you don't get to the level of success that Chadwell has without knowing how to gameplan and run a program. Remember, it isn't just CCU with him. People keep forgetting that.
Putting up artificial guidelines does you no good. Chadwell has earned the right to hire whoever he pleases.
FWIW I have heard that this issue was part of the reason he didn't get the SCar job. Jury's still out on that but they're getting 40 burgers dropped on em in conference play so far in year 2.
I like the Moneyball reference. If we play like the SEC in here, we will lose to the SEC out there.

JacketFan137

Banned
LOL, they've been addressed, you just choose to not see them. Also, see his record before he got to Coastal Carolina where he also won big. Chadwell builds programs...and he does it with pure coaching. Right now, GT is a program that needs rebuilding.
they haven’t. it’s just empty platitudes of “he’s an x’s and o’s guy”.

he built a great charleston southern program that was so good he lost 18 wins for cheating by playing ineligible players. i guess in todays day and age that is “pure coaching”.

78-54 career record and has never made it to p5 football. i like the guy but he has a lot of red flags and question marks as the rest of the suggested candidates too. he is not clearly the best option in any rational person’s mind

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer

he built a great charleston southern program that was so good he lost 18 wins for cheating by playing ineligible players. i guess in todays day and age that is “pure coaching”.

78-54 career record and has never made it to p5 football. i like the guy but he has a lot of red flags and question marks as the rest of the suggested candidates too. he is not clearly the best option in any rational person’s mind
The thing at Charleston southern wasn’t his fault. He had nothing to do with it. It was the schools fault and wrong doing. The school was the one that messed up with ineligible players and whatnot. Many people have posted the details on this bored in multiple threads. Im sure someone else can chime in and explain it.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Way to be completely misleading.
Relevant section of his wikipedia page:

In 2018, the NCAA released a detailed report concerning numerous NCAA violations across the Charleston Southern athletics department that occurred during Chadwell's tenure as head football coach. The athletics department was found to have incorrectly certified 55 student athletes across 12 sports over a six-year period, and football players were found to have used scholarship funds to purchase electronics and jewelry from the campus book store. Ultimately, the NCAA sanctions included vacating 18 wins from the 2014 and 2015 football seasons and the 2015 Big South Championship, in addition to several vacated wins in other sports. Also vacated were three wins over crosstown rival The Citadel, games during which CSU used ineligible players.

12 sports over 6 years. Chadwell coached 1 sport there for 4 years. You do the math. As for what the players did, they're college kids. You can't supervise them 24/7

JacketFan137

Banned
The thing at Charleston southern wasn’t his fault. He had nothing to do with it. It was the schools fault and wrong doing. The school was the one that messed up with ineligible players and whatnot. Many people have posted the details on this bored in multiple threads. Im sure someone else can chime in and explain it.
Way to be completely misleading.
Relevant section of his wikipedia page:

In 2018, the NCAA released a detailed report concerning numerous NCAA violations across the Charleston Southern athletics department that occurred during Chadwell's tenure as head football coach. The athletics department was found to have incorrectly certified 55 student athletes across 12 sports over a six-year period, and football players were found to have used scholarship funds to purchase electronics and jewelry from the campus book store. Ultimately, the NCAA sanctions included vacating 18 wins from the 2014 and 2015 football seasons and the 2015 Big South Championship, in addition to several vacated wins in other sports. Also vacated were three wins over crosstown rival The Citadel, games during which CSU used ineligible players.

12 sports over 6 years. Chadwell coached 1 sport there for 4 years. You do the math. As for what the players did, they're college kids. You can't supervise them 24/7
regardless of whether or not that was his fault, he was the benefactor of cheating. he lost 18 wins because his team wasn’t eligible. it raises concerns over whether or not he is a good coach.

would still probably have him as one of the top candidates but he should not be the priority and isn’t the best candidate available by any stretch of the imagination

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Bro, we get it...if someone writes something you disagree with, it's not true in your eyes.

@ilovetheoption already explained the first 2 years at Coastal to you, you just choose not to accept it. Last I checked, I didn't know coaches got dinged for recruiting and developing players...in what world does a coach get penalized for recruiting a 2 star player, and developing that player into a 4star college all star? Only on a GT message board. Oh, let's not acknowledge that there's an entire team that was developed into the 11 win a year team they've become.

As for his time at Charleston Southern, it sounds like you are again running your mouth without any real facts.

This is the same situation that occurred at GT decades ago. Coaches recruit and coach, and the compliance people are the ones that certify athletes. That's not the coach's job. The compliance department screwed the pooch across the entire athletic department, and that affected multiple athletes across multiple sports...it wasn't just Chadwell's program that was affected.

Also, notice how Chadwell was never once cited for any wrongdoing in the NCAA report.

Of course, these are just facts not opinions...so you'll probably dismiss it.