HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
we had 4 4* recruits in 2020 with collins. don’t tell me a different coach couldn’t do the same thing.
The original post said, and I quote, "… nothing says we can't be pulling in 4 and 5 star recruits by the half dozen each season at the very least." Well, actually, there is. 4 4 star recruits is a lot different from 6 4 and 5 star recruits. Tech can get 4 4stars every now and then, but regularly? Every year? I think not.

That most emphatically does not mean that Tech can't have winning football teams and win big on a regular basis. It has been done before. All we need is the coaching to do it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Just got a text from a buddy that Joe Ham said on 680 that former players are being asked how they would feel about dropping football down to G5 or fcs. From within the program is where its being asked but not admin. Anyone else hear this?
I haven’t heard 680 since last Tuesday. Been out of town and still am but we will be there next go ‘round if this next coach can’t at least bring excitement back. These are exciting if not scary times for GT.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any problem at all with a coach bringing in assistants he knows how to work with, no matter what the level involved. Paul had great success with a crew made up largely of his former assistants from Georgia Southern. If Chadwell wants to bring in coaches who know what he wants to do and how to spot the talent to do it, I see nothing but old baseball scout prejudices against letting him do it. As in:

The problem wouldn’t be he wants to bring in his assistants. He wants to bring his entire staff from what I’ve been told. You usually want a guy to hire P5 experienced coaches to help them out, not have the entire staff. You usually want multiple guys with power 5 experience, Collins only had 1 out of the gate with Brent Key and he hired. Collins hired 6 guys with power 5 experience this year to just try and save his job, he should have done that out of the gate but it was a combination of wanting his same temple guys and not giving him a money pool that was high enough for assistants.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
B0CEEE8F-02D4-45EB-BD9F-DA1AE9C21256.jpeg

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
The problem wouldn’t be he wants to bring in his assistants. He wants to bring his entire staff from what I’ve been told. You usually want a guy to hire P5 experienced coaches to help them out, not have the entire staff. You usually want multiple guys with power 5 experience, Collins only had 1 out of the gate with Brent Key and he hired. Collins hired 6 guys with power 5 experience this year to just try and save his job, he should have done that out of the gate but it was a combination of wanting his same temple guys and not giving him a money pool that was high enough for assistants.
In the modern CFB landscape I’m not sure that really matters. Either a guy can coach at GT or he can’t with his staff.

Just hiring P5 guys or P5 retreads doesn’t guarantee to help you. You just want guys that can win and recruit in todays landscape with the school that GT is.

It’s the same reason at all levels from HS to the NFL is hiring a smattering of guys of all ages. Nobody cares if the HS coach is 28 instead of 58 if he wins anymore. Same goes for the NFL. Dolphins hired a young dude cause he could coach even tho he’d never been a HC before. Some guys have the knack for it and some guys don’t regardless of age, coaching history, or the level they’ve coached at.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
In the modern CFB landscape I’m not sure that really matters. Either a guy can coach at GT or he can’t with his staff.

Just hiring P5 guys or P5 retreads doesn’t guarantee to help you. You just want guys that can win and recruit in todays landscape with the school that GT is.

It’s the same reason at all levels from HS to the NFL is hiring a smattering of guys of all ages. Nobody cares if the HS coach is 28 instead of 58 if he wins anymore. Same goes for the NFL. Dolphins hired a young dude cause he could coach even tho he’d never been a HC before. Some guys have the knack for it and some guys don’t regardless of age, coaching history, or the level they’ve coached at.
You always want power 5 experienced guys on your staff. Recruiting, game week prep, film, etc, etc is so much more intense at the power 5 level since you’re competing against bigger schools. It’s fine to bring some of your same guys but the whole staff raises eyebrows and some don’t like that at all. Power 5 experienced guys allow a first time P5 head coach to lean on them for tips and their ideas on things and how it would work since a P5 guy has most likely seen those things before and can give very insightful info and recommendations.

rjl1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Gt2019, you kind of reject your own premise. CGC did come In with his guys, and as you correctly state, he did hire p5 guys for this season. My issue is, how is that working out? I do agree that this season was a hail mary from CGC, but... I guess we will see with HCBK. And I think if we could get HCJC, I would be absolutely for him bringing his own staff in. I think he has earned that, with the success at CC.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Gt2019, you kind of reject your own premise. CGC did come In with his guys, and as you correctly state, he did hire p5 guys for this season. My issue is, how is that working out? I do agree that this season was a hail mary from CGC, but... I guess we will see with HCBK. And I think if we could get HCJC, I would be absolutely for him bringing his own staff in. I think he has earned that, with the success at CC.
The problem is Collins did it way too late, he wanted to hire Long from the begging but the money wasn’t there for it. I’ll also say this, Collins wasn’t letting guys do their job for what they were paid to do. Collins was running the 2021 defense and this years defense, opposing coaches have said that, even tho it’s claimed Thacker was solely running last years defense. Collins also had a hand in the offense this year and wasn’t letting Long have an open book. Collins was dipping his hands in everyone’s position group and job instead of letting them what they

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This is our chance to go big with football or be irrelevant. If we choose to be irrelevant than we should drop the Division II. I’d be all in on Deion to turn this thing around. We always talk about money, then hire sorry coaches and end up being on the hook for millions when we have to fire them. Let’s do it right this time.
We absolutely have to this time. No ifs ands or buts

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
You want guys who have had relationships with recruits which is why you want P5 guys. I don’t think any of Chadwell’s staff is recruiting in the same pool we are. If they are great recruiters (no clue yet if they are) the earliest you would see it is the class of 2025. That’s a big hole to dig out of if you have a weak 23 and 24 class.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
1. Yes. If Tech can get him Chadwell would be easily the best hire. He'll cost some money, however.

2. You would think that gaging what we should do about a coaching choice by consulting the Big Donors™ would be completely and comprehensively refuted for the rest of Tech football history by their preferences for B*** L**** and C******. I don't think that Moncken would take the job now. He just became the second winningest coach in Army history, right behind Colonel Blake. He could surpass Blake before he's through. But he should get a call for all that; you never know. When he turns us down, we can still try for either Chadwell or Brian Bohannon and get winning football at Tech.
Are you referring to MASH’s Col Blake?

JacketFan137

Banned
we gotta stop saying “well collins did ____ how did that work out?” all that statement proved is collins is a bad coach. not that bringing in a p5 or a g5 staff is the way to go.

rjl1990

Georgia Tech Fan
The problem is Collins did it way too late, he wanted to hire Long from the begging but the money wasn’t there for it. I’ll also say this, Collins wasn’t letting guys do their job for what they were paid to do. Collins was running the 2021 defense and this years defense, opposing coaches have said that, even tho it’s claimed Thacker was solely running last years defense. Collins also had a hand in the offense this year and wasn’t letting Long have an open book. Collins was dipping his hands in everyone’s position group and job instead of letting them what they
Brother, I am with you on evertlything you are saying. My only point is that if we can get a coach like Chadwell, let him bring his guys. There was another post that stated, correctly I think, that if he made the move some of those guys may be more inclined to stay, like Korn, the OC, who may get the HC gig. End of the day, if we are going to go the route of Chadwell, I just say let him build his staff, however he wants. His success at CC speaks volumes for him and that staff. Of course, I would still like to see Bobby Petrino as a candidate. Lol to those on the board who absolutely took me to task on that one. Peace, and THWG! We all want the same thing, The Institute back in the spotlight in FB.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The original post said, and I quote, "… nothing says we can't be pulling in 4 and 5 star recruits by the half dozen each season at the very least." Well, actually, there is. 4 4 star recruits is a lot different from 6 4 and 5 star recruits. Tech can get 4 4stars every now and then, but regularly? Every year? I think not.

That most emphatically does not mean that Tech can't have winning football teams and win big on a regular basis. It has been done before. All we need is the coaching to do it.
Guys....

You guys have had exactly one top 25 recruiting class this century, and the guy responsible for it just got run out of town on a clown car.

You guys are Georgia Tech guys, you believe in numbers, and letting the data guide you. You guys ran the experiment with Jeff collins, you got the biggest best recruiter, the biggest best brander, the guy most focused on taking advantage of the Atlanta market, who loved tech, and who wanted to get it done through recruiting, and the result was today.

The idea that Deion Sanders who until a year and a half ago was a high school coach, is going to come in and make you what you're not is more than a little silly, to me.

Get a guy who can coach the living hell out of the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, because the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, and the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech, and that hasn't changed in a generation now, and it's probably not ever going to.

JacketFan137

Banned
Guys....

You guys have had exactly one top 25 recruiting class this century, and the guy responsible for it just got run out of town on a clown car.

You guys are Georgia Tech guys, you believe in numbers, and letting the data guide you. You guys ran the experiment with Jeff collins, you got the biggest best recruiter, the biggest best brander, the guy most focused on taking advantage of the Atlanta market, who loved tech, and who wanted to get it done through recruiting, and the result was today.

The idea that Deion Sanders who until a year and a half ago was a high school coach, is going to come in and make you what you're not is more than a little silly, to me.

Get a guy who can coach the living hell out of the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, because the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who go to Georgia tech, and the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech are the kind of guys who don't go to Georgia tech, and that hasn't changed in a generation now, and it's probably not ever going to.
again, until people stop with this bad argument i will keep saying this.

if collins was so bad of a coach how did he pull a top 25 class? follow up, what would a good coach be able to do if they can coach and recruit?

giving up on recruiting because collins was a bad coach is like a bad faith argument but it’s different cause it’s bad faith surrendering. tucking tail and running would be even worse than letting the collins show run longer. hire the best coach we can that can bring in the best players we can bring in.

play. to. win.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
again, until people stop with this bad argument i will keep saying this.

if collins was so bad of a coach how did he pull a top 25 class? follow up, what would a good coach be able to do if they can coach and recruit?

giving up on recruiting because collins was a bad coach is like a bad faith argument but it’s different cause it’s bad faith surrendering. tucking tail and running would be even worse than letting the collins show run longer. hire the best coach we can that can bring in the best players we can bring in.

play. to. win.

Not really. It's more like "giving up on recruiting your way to the top, because the way you recruit your way to the top in 2022 is with a CRAPTON of money, and GT has neither the alumni base, nor the national fanbase, nor the inclination to do so"

Collins pulled in a top 25 class in 2007 because he's a FANTASTIC recruiter, and got a little lucky. The classes immediately before and after that were in the "tech range". The fact that in his second run, he had settled into classes in the ~40 range (right around where Paul Johnson recruited, maybe a little better. Right around where Chan Gailey recruit) speaks to the fact that the overwhelming majority of the time, a school recruits how a school recruits, and coaches don't really change that all that much, especially over time.

I agree about playing to win, actually. The FIRST thing you have to do is be honest with yourself, and you're not.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys....

The issue isn't we are Georgia Tech and we only get a certain type or player, so we need a coach who can coach that type of player. In CFB a coach alone cant do it all coach, recruit, etc. You need an entire staff. That is the issue at Georgia Tech, which is the same issue at most schools. We are broke and we cant afford a large elite staff. That is why Collins hired the people he hired. That is why CPJ always complained about being short staffed and nothing ever came to fruition. We need $$$$ first just to have a shot at competing.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The issue isn't we are Georgia Tech and we only get a certain type or player, so we need a coach who can coach that type of player. In CFB a coach alone cant do it all coach, recruit, etc. You need an entire staff. That is the issue at Georgia Tech, which is the same issue at most schools. We are broke and we cant afford a large elite staff. That is why Collins hired the people he hired. That is why CPJ always complained about being short staffed and nothing ever came to fruition. We need $$$$ first just to have a shot at competing.
Agreed. But that's who you are, and that's who you're going to be.

To channel Rick Pitino; T Boone Pickens is not walking through that door. The alumni of yours that HAVE that kind of money aren't the kind of alumni that spend it on the football program. If they were, they would have.

You guys are bosses, you know the truth: The best predictor of future performance is past performance, and at this point it is what it is. GT is going to recruit in the 30-50 range, with the occasional top 30 class, and the occasional class worse than 50.

The numbers are the numbers. #=#

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys....

2021 changed everything though. NIL deals mean Louisville can pull the #1 RB out of Texas and have a top 20 class. I think the idea we can't get top 25 classes based on pre NIL days is a bad hypothesis. It also means we need to rely less on a great recruiter.