HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Couple of coaches mentioned by us are on the list. Bill O'Brien #6, Todd Monken #15, Jeff Lebby #22, Zach Kittley #25

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't foresee anyone connected to this staff being retained past this season.
I expected that, just interesting how quickly the flavor of the month can change. Hand picked by GOL but UCF passed on him. Nothing about our OL would garner confidence in Key, makes sense.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I believe with the interim AD and his background, a vision will come from him through PAC and the new hire will reflect that. I know you've seen so much and are disappointed more often than not, but reach down and find that happy place and believe. Do it for Ma Tech.
Believe what? That Tech can go 12-0 year end and year out? I don't. I think we are capable of consistent 7-5, 8-4 results. And our plan should address that.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly how many 4/5 stars are we going to get? How much is this going to cost? Can Tech raise the money?

Unanswered. This is wishful thinking. I'm done with it. I'm staying in Realville.

until there is a stated goal, it's all just wishful thinking.

Am I glad the GTAA took action? Yes. What's the vision? Specifically?

We're in a Major FBS conference. We're in a state known for top end high school football. What in the world is holding GT back from being a top 20 recruiting school, year in and year out? Only our own fears and pessimism?

I can think of nothing limiting GT. We have gotten used to only getting one 4-star recruit every 3 or 4 years, but nothing says we can't be pulling in 4 and 5 star recruits by the half dozen each season at the very least.

I think we agree to disagree. I hear you saying you're realistic and practical. It also comes across as someone that has given up, thrown in the towel. Are you saying we should accept losing records and just be happy to be in the ACC? Would you drop football program since its losing money? Would you drop down to FCS or Division II?

Winning and recruiting solves the $$$ issue and we could even turn a profit. The fans will come if we're playing a game with UGA at end of the season with playoffs on the line. Can't get there if we don't try.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I just hope we make the right hire.

Just about everyone was sold on CGC back in 2018. I went back to page 140-141 to look at some of the comments and polls we did during that time. There was so much excitement about CGC. 81.2 % of the forum voters were pleased with the hire. I know hindsight is 20-20.

I just hope we make the right AD and HC hires.
I'm not sure that poll is the best indicator. If you read through the potential hires thread at the time I think several of us were skeptical about Collins but at the end of the day, once he was hired, we were excited for the future willing to give him a chance (and he wasn't Wisenhunt).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We're in a Major FBS conference. We're in a state known for top end high school football. What in the world is holding GT back from being a top 20 recruiting school, year in and year out? Only our own fears and pessimism?

I can think of nothing limiting GT. We have gotten used to only getting one 4-star recruit every 3 or 4 years, but nothing says we can't be pulling in 4 and 5 star recruits by the half dozen each season at the very least.

I think we agree to disagree. I hear you saying you're realistic and practical. It also comes across as someone that has given up, thrown in the towel. Are you saying we should accept losing records and just be happy to be in the ACC? Would you drop football program since its losing money? Would you drop down to FCS or Division II?

Winning and recruiting solves the $$$ issue and we could even turn a profit. The fans will come if we're playing a game with UGA at end of the season with playoffs on the line. Can't get there if we don't try.
A half dozen 5 stars a year? How many programs actually do that?

No I haven't given up. But unless you have a strategy and plan on paper ... it's just wishful thinking.

slugboy

Staff member

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
He's a professional troll. Prior to his ESPN gig, he had a syndicated radio sports talk show in Alabama. He would aggravate Auburn fans for a while, then change course and irritate Alabama fans. He would have them up in arms against each other. Great theater for a neutral. He pretty much filled one Alabama fan with such hate for Auburn that he poisoned their trees, then called in and took credit for doing it on air. When the soil was then tested around the trees, sure enough......
You nailed it. The only thing he is not neutral about is his disdain for any conference not named SEC. He has even claimed that they are the best basketball conference in the country. Mark Packer let him have it on the old Packer and Durham show for that.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Um, I said that all fan bases have the know it all contingent. The difference is that we tend be more independent and egotistical in our opinions because of our academic and career success. Unless you think all fan bases have similar intellectual hubris.
Other fanbases have the same level of hubris, they just don't have the chops to back it up.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Chadwell is at the top of my list. But for the other fans of his - do you think he will be able to recruit enough?

He has shown loyalty to his staff - for better or worse. I imagine they would all come with him. Would he be willing to keep on, say, Kenyatta Watson to help the recruiting aspect?

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Chadwell is at the top of my list. But for the other fans of his - do you think he will be able to recruit enough?

He has shown loyalty to his staff - for better or worse. I imagine they would all come with him. Would he be willing to keep on, say, Kenyatta Watson to help the recruiting aspect?
My concern is I am not sure if it is Chadwell or Willy Korn to credit for CCUs success.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

While I don't want to acknowledge any prospect not named Deion, I think this is overblown. We know where our typical recruiting range is. That's not going to change here by someone coming in and "recruiting". Win and it'll improve.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree. Schools like Wake, Iowa State, etc are great spots for coaches. Win 7 games a year, coach there for 10-20 year, set your family up financially for a couple of generations, and have a statue built of you
I think GT falls nicely into this category too. People will point to CCG as proof that this is not correct but Coach Gailey didn't pull out the occasional win over Uga like Coach Johnson did. Had Gailey beaten them even once in his tenure he would not have been fired imo.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We need to wait the rest of the season to see with lots of these guys.

If Chadwell loses Grayson McCall for the season (unsure of how bad his injury is) and goes 4-4 do we still like him? If he goes 8-0 do the people (like me) change their mind?
What if Primetime loses the Celebration Bowl again by multiple scores? What if he doesn't even win the conference?
If Alabama starts to set records on offense how does that change how you feel about BOB?
If Key gets us to a bowl do you want to keep him?

I think lots of these hires have questions that might be answered this year. I think for me Deion needs to win the Celebration Bowl to be considered. You can't lose that two years in a row with his talent advantage and be taken seriously. If Chadwell can show he can win without a generational QB for his system then I'm on board, he has a losing record at Coastal without Grayson and I want to see if this is a Gus Malzhan situation where he needs insane QB play for it to work at a high level. I personally don't think much will change my mind about BOB unless the offense really stinks it up which I'm not anticipating simply because its Alabama and everyone has been good there. I think Tyson Helton and the guy I posted about earlier, Mike Bloomgren, can really increase their stock this year if WKU getting ranked or Rice goes bowling. I think Key should get the job if he goes 5-3 and we get a bowl bid, especially if he can get at least an average recruiting class to sign on.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We need to wait the rest of the season to see with lots of these guys.

If Chadwell loses Grayson McCall for the season (unsure of how bad his injury is) and goes 4-4 do we still like him? If he goes 8-0 do the people (like me) change their mind?
What if Primetime loses the Celebration Bowl again by multiple scores? What if he doesn't even win the conference?
If Alabama starts to set records on offense how does that change how you feel about BOB?
If Key gets us to a bowl do you want to keep him?

I think lots of these hires have questions that might be answered this year. I think for me Deion needs to win the Celebration Bowl to be considered. You can't lose that two years in a row with his talent advantage and be taken seriously. If Chadwell can show he can win without a generational QB for his system then I'm on board, he has a losing record at Coastal without Grayson and I want to see if this is a Gus Malzhan situation where he needs insane QB play for it to work at a high level. I personally don't think much will change my mind about BOB unless the offense really stinks it up which I'm not anticipating simply because its Alabama and everyone has been good there. I think Tyson Helton and the guy I posted about earlier, Mike Bloomgren, can really increase their stock this year if WKU getting ranked or Rice goes bowling. I think Key should get the job if he goes 5-3 and we get a bowl bid, especially if he can get at least an average recruiting class to sign on.
I think you need to wait until there's a new AD in place. He probably has his own slate and after Neville's review and one of his own, will figure out who to pursue. I doubt the BoT is going to hire the coach and then the AD.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
They will hire the AD first is my guess as well. I was just talking about us fans opinion on the current names, as none of us really matter and this whole thread is just for fun at the end of the day. I think there's lots of unanswered questions that we should wait to see before declaring being on board with one candidate. I wanted people to think about how they would feel about "their guy" if the season went one way or another.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Ok. Explain it to me. What is the upside for Deion to take on Georgia Tech? Inquiring minds want to know ...
It's several steps up from where he's at currently, in a city that was a major part of his pro career, where he has a massive fan base and in one of the most talent rich areas in the country, and he gets to follow the guy who has set the bar the lowest it has ever been. He also gets to play in a relatively weak conference while still being P5, improving his odds at competing for championships, and he has less donors trying to meddle than programs like Auburn.