HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think we should be pinching pennies, but if we can get a good coach and he doesn't cost a lot it's win - win. You can spend a ton and end up with a dud. We just paid a guy $20 million+ for ten wins. That makes him the highest paid coach in America measured per win, I take it.
We could also laden a contract with performance bonuses. Getting to ACC Championship (Since no divisions next year), ACC Champions, Bowl Game (could make larger for major bowls), get to playoffs, etc. You could also put in an attendance bonus for home games. That way you could pay a reasonable salary with significant upside.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Just got a text from a buddy that Joe Ham said on 680 that former players are being asked how they would feel about dropping football down to G5 or fcs. From within the program is where its being asked but not admin. Anyone else hear this?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That was the early stages of O'Brien's career. He's since OC'd the Patriots (with the notoriously picky Belichek and Brady), turned two QBs at Penn State into NFL QBs, won his division in the NFL 4 out of 7 years with the Texans, with only 1 losing season out of 7 full years, and now he's operating one of the most efficient offenses in the college and coached a Heisman winner. Coaches do evolve over time.

EDIT: Looking at his history, GT was the first time he ever OC'd an offense.
Understand. That’s why I was very careful with how I worded what I wrote. It wasn’t an indictment of him as a coach; more a comment about when he was at Tech because people were talking about his time here.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just got a text from a buddy that Joe Ham said on 680 that former players are being asked how they would feel about dropping football down to G5 or fcs. From within the program is where its being asked but not admin. Anyone else hear this?
GT has a commitment to the ACC through 2036 and I would be shocked to hear that was coming from anyone connected to the AA or Admin.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The revenue difference is dramatic. I don't know how that helps our financial position. Plus donations would completely tank. I don't see it.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
Just got a text from a buddy that Joe Ham said on 680 that former players are being asked how they would feel about dropping football down to G5 or fcs. From within the program is where it’s being asked but not admin. Anyone else hear this?
The program is done at that point. Bulldoze the stadium.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I would say GT grads are a bit different in that we have more fans with an elevated sense that we always know best from our success in school and in our career. Unfortunately, many think that translates into being able to assess and determine who the best coach should be. Yes, all programs have fans who fight for their personal choice. And, yes, we have fans who succumb to groupthink, but I think we are also more independent in our thinking and thus willing to argue for our personal position more than mindless sheep at other programs.
We aren't but I do appreciate the irony.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Only a complete, total loser would advocate for a move this pathetic, cowardly, and stupid.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The program is done at that point. Bulldoze the stadium.
It would go beyond the athletics program. Homecoming would suffer followed by the collapse of Greek Life. For what? I can't even believe it's a survey being conducted from Tech. Normally, you would do this with a third party to deny any involvement.

Could be unhappy campers looking to stir trouble. I once had a reduction in force and unhappy employees called radio stations and told them we were closing. It happens.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What would the point in that be? If ANYTHING, you drop ACC and go independent... but why on earth would GT drop to FCS?

Yeah, we tried the independent route once...it didn't go too well. Let's not try that again.

IMO, this is much ado about nothing. ZERO chance GT moves down because there is almost no way we'd be able to service our debt and maintain our programs without ACC media money.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Leave the ACC? Not an option-no pun intended. Need it for other sports. Drop UGA for a while in FB. Add again when program improves. Schedule a winnable game to help the new coach. Too soon to make such a drastic change in the conference.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don’t believe for a second that’s a real thing that happened, not from within the program anyway. Maybe from some weirdo outsider.

Do y’all not realize that as bad as Tech has been over the last 3+ years, there’s been schools in waaaaayyyyyyy worse situations than we are now. Nobody who is currently in a P5 conference would ever voluntarily drop down. The money is all that matters. At some point P5 programs may start getting forced out, but nobody is leaving on their own accord.

From 2010-2021, Kansas never won more than 3 games. They had 2 separate ZERO win seasons. They went 23-108 during that stretch. They lost to 3 different FCS teams. (They beat a CPJ coached Georgia Tech team though 🤪🙈) Yet they never even considered dropping down to the G5 or FCS level. Why would they?

Colorado has 6 winning seasons this century, and one of those was the Covid year where they only played 5 regular season games. From 2011-2015 they went 14-48. Never once have they considered dropping a level.

From 2015-2020 Rutgers went 16-50. That was right after they jumped from the Big East to the B1G. Nobody has ever seriously mentioned Rutgers leaving the B1G to go back into the American or some other G5 conference, because once again, why would they?

Some of y’all need to chill out on the whole “death of the program” narrative. It’s not going anywhere. Georgia Tech is not going to drop to a lower level to play football. Now what might happen is if the B1G and SEC break off and try to do their own thing with the top 45ish programs in the country, GT might not make that cut. But honestly if that ever happens I think my interest in college football would be minimal anyway. Tech football ain’t going anywhere. Y’all need to chill out.