HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Apparently BOB is making 3.5 million currently. Certainly it will take more than that to hire him away. Any thoughts on the cost of CGC buyout limiting our ability to afford coaches such as BOB ? i.e. "The Hewitt Effect" ???
I'm less worried about affording a new Head Coach. It's the costs of all the assistants that is going to be challenging.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Apparently BOB is making 3.5 million currently. Certainly it will take more than that to hire him away. Any thoughts on the cost of CGC buyout limiting our ability to afford coaches such as BOB ? i.e. "The Hewitt Effect " ???
This is a good question. My guess is that someone (ADTS???) has lined up the funding for the buyout or that CGC has agreed to a phased payout over 10-12 years.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If O'Brien wins big here, which I expect him to in 3-4 years, I totally think he'll use GT as stepping stone as well. I'm OK with that because that will mean O'Brien got us back to winning and winning enough for a major program to hire him...and GT will be in a MUCH better place than we are now.

Also, I think if the B1G comes calling, and GT can somehow fineagle out of the ACC Grant of Rights, all of the cash infusion we'll get could convince O'Brien to stay.
No question, Bill O'Brien's a solid coach. And he's developed. He was just okay as our OC, but he seems a lot better now, and he has a ton of experience between then and now. I'd put him on the same plane with Rhule. My first choice is lightning in a bottle, but I'd be happy with that hire.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A

Apparently BOB is making 3.5 million currently. Certainly it will take more than that to hire him away. Any thoughts on the cost of CGC buyout limiting our ability to afford coaches such as BOB ? i.e. "The Hewitt Effect " ???

If the donors have agreed to fund the buyout (which was the major monetary hurdle), there is probably enough money in the budget with the newer infusion of pledges starting to materialize from AI 2020 to attract a better coach.

My guess, and this is totally a guess, is our new HC will sign a 5-6 year contract worth about $4-5 million a year with some additional funds being made available for assistants. Given the recent fundraising push which identified coaching, I believe this is a priority for the GTAA.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Apparently BOB is making 3.5 million currently. Certainly it will take more than that to hire him away. Any thoughts on the cost of CGC buyout limiting our ability to afford coaches such as BOB ? i.e. "The Hewitt Effect" ???

According to this BOB is making $1.1mill/yr.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I am 1000% with Deion. With regard to him being a "recruiter only," keep in mind that he is recruiting to Jackson MS, an HBCU, so he is not really looking for ALL available players out there, but those who want to be at an HBCU, or who would consider it versus the FSUs etc. Also, the town of Jackson has no water, so he is asking kids to move to a town that doesn't appear to be that appealing (apologies for anyone who knows better, I have never been), and he is also getting very good assistants to come to Jackson for little money. He will certainly be able to get better assistants in Atlanta - they get to work with Deion and not have to live in MS, so they may take less money than otherwise. Not to mention traveling from Jackson for recruiting must be miserable versus the ATL airport.

TRimes have changed, we don't know Deion's scheme because we don't watch Jackson St games, but look at his win totals and if you say "he just has better talent," then give him credit for getting better talent which is half of being a HC. He is better in the NIL era than others and we want someone who can win in NIL era, not someone who has no experience at NIL (Deion has a ton of personal experience) like some of the mid-major coaches being discussed. His life experiences are a major draw for kids who need guidance with NIL, etc. AND, he makes kids go to class and education seems really important to him.

I think Jackson St. gives him a share of the ticket sale $, we should consider that, along with a share of TV money or whatever extra we get from going bowling or ACC title, etc. Make him a business partner.

Otherwise, what about Derek Mason? Dude probably deserves another chance, although not a sexy hire for sure.
We are most likely in for at least two tough years talent-wise, we need a coach who can scheme his way to some wins, nothing about Deion says that he is that guy to me. He may be that coach but he haven't proven it and we can’t afford another Collins. You all know good and well that he currently has a big talent advantage where he is, he will NEver have that luxury at Tech. You’ve got to prove that you can win here before top recruits are going to pick us over SEC schools.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
you know after the AJC came out and said CGC was fired and the meeting today would be to let the AD go, if I was in the GTAA after the meeting I would say not sure where you got the story this meeting was to talk about the Edge center.

And now you know why I'm an a*shole and have no friends.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
According to this BOB is making $1.1mill/yr.

YOU ARE CORRECT !! My article was when he was at the Texans. So, maybe it's not an issue after all. He is one of my preferred choices.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Uggh! I hate coaching searches at Tech. Too many fans have their own personal favorite and are unwilling to accept anyone else but that one person. Whoever gets hired will have to spend the next few years being trashed by fans at every opportunity, because our fans have to prove themselves right and everyone else wrong. If there is one positive, at least we will not have fans lamenting the loss of our last coach or constantly praising his successes (since there were none).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Interesting, but who calls the plays?
I'm not sure it matters.

TStan went all in on the NFL-Lite strategy. He raised $175M to build new facilities, development programs, NIL sessions, etc. He (or his successor) can't just say, "Oops." Yes, Geoff argued for all of that and he's toast, but the boosters wanted it as well. They said NO to scheme.

Nick Saban's argument to recruits has always been, "Come to Alabama. To be the best, you have to play and practice against the best. And if you do that, you will be a product that the NFL wants."

Get serious at practice. Get back to good, solid football that creates an "NFL product". (This, among other things, is what got Gus Malzahn fired. His offense produced players that the NFL did not find fit very well. This in turn, made AU and unattractive locale for recruits.) Hire a coach that has NFL connections and can continue, if not accelerate, the Plan.

Tech is already pregnant. Might as well birth the baby.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it Tech wants to get serious, we need to abandon the “save money” route. It’s time to pony up or just expect to not ever compete again
I don't think we should be pinching pennies, but if we can get a good coach and he doesn't cost a lot it's win - win. You can spend a ton and end up with a dud. We just paid a guy $20 million+ for ten wins. That makes him the highest paid coach in America measured per win, I take it.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Uggh! I hate coaching searches at Tech. Too many fans have their own personal favorite and are unwilling to accept anyone else but that one person. Whoever gets hired will have to spend the next few years being trashed by fans at every opportunity, because our fans have to prove themselves right and everyone else wrong. If there is one positive, at least we will not have fans lamenting the loss of our last coach or constantly praising his successes (since there were none).
Speaking for myself, there are a number of really good possibilities I could go for out there. I have my first choice, but I just want a good coach. Anybody we get is going to look like Vince Lombardi compared to Collins.

Last edited:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

I.E. We're like every other fanbase in America.

JacketFan137

Banned
If the donors have agreed to fund the buyout (which was the major monetary hurdle), there is probably enough money in the budget with the newer infusion of pledges starting to materialize from AI 2020 to attract a better coach.

My guess, and this is totally a guess, is our new HC will sign a 5-6 year contract worth about $4-5 million a year with some additional funds being made available for assistants. Given the recent fundraising push which identified coaching, I believe this is a priority for the GTAA.
knowing our fanbase and the fact that collins probably soured a lot of people with money it wouldn’t surprise me if some pledges are contingent on the hire.

i would be more willing to bet a sexy hire (deion, chadwell, etc.) would have some people a little looser with their wallets than if we hire someone coaching a mid level g5 school.

not like windfall program changing money but i bet we get an extra mil or 2 if we impress the money with the hire

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Pick your top 3 from these desired traits in our next GT Football Coach:

1. Great communicator
2. Player Development
3. Recruiting
4. Makes game plan adjustments
5. Support staff connections (OC, DC, and position coaches)
6. Proven program development

Just curious where everyone is in our soon to be post Collins era.
My top 3 would be: support staff connections, player development, and proven program development