Hawaii Diamond Head Classic

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I can’t say it enough. Jose is a hoss.

I was running this morning and kept coming back to the edge he brings and demands from our guys as well. There were a few series where the broncs started to chirp with clapping when we missed open looks or had goofy turnovers in the first half.

Jose would clap back at them, then go give our guy (whoever did the offending act) a let’s get it going look or gesture. I’ll guarantee he was vocal in the locker room saying he damn well wouldn’t be returning to the game with a loss.

I am so happy he is back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agree on turnovers and fouls. On the shooting comment though, we shot 48% from FG and 75% from the line today. One game, I know. And while we weren't effective from 3, I'll take all 6 of Devoe's attempts any night if he can get them that open.

Ultimately I don't think anyone cares how we get the W, but to your point we can't be as careless with the ball as we were in the 1st half and expect to win a ton of games that way. But our D carried us until we got going, and that is a great thing to fall back on. We won the boards 43-27 also.
Agree that we shot better last night, and shot selection was part of the reason. Maybe having Jose back contributed to that. I hope to have time to watch the replay today, but that may not happen. When Moses arrived on campus he was lost around the basket and seemed to have little desire to discover that part of the game. I am not sure the role GPS played, but he is no longer lost.

In any case, we have to have a clean game tonight. Houston is a good team.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Sorry for the cross post mods, but I’m tired of the dead horse thread that was the post game ball state fiasco. Turning the page here.

@Gtbowhunter90 I’m genuinely curious not throwing shade here.

Im just gonna say it....

If yall are holding out hope that Jose is gonna come back and miraculously lead this team to a 20+ win season, I do think yall are about to get your feelings hurt. There is nothing from this team that has shown me they are a 20 win team. We are bottom feeders in almost ALL offensive categories and one person isnt going to change that. It isnt the talent, its the coaching. Pastner has lost this team and it is obvious. We should've lost to Bethune-Cookman and NCST also.

Still feel that way after the second half last night?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
After reading more about Houston, I think it will be a winnable game.

I would agree with this statement.

If we show up and play the way we did 2nd half last night, we have a shot against anyone other than maybe the top 10 teams.

Still think we can grow into a squad who can make some noise in the tournament

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Why is this thread so much shorter than the Ball State postgame discussion? We hit 6 pages by midnight Wednesday with a later tip.
I was one of the ones having 1980-81 Dwayne Morrison flashbacks on the Ball State thread, a season where I was at every brutal home game because I worked as an usher. Being an usher at those games was kind of like being the Maytag repairman since almost no one attended non conference games and conference games weren't a whole lot better.

I am gathered with family for the holidays yesterday, so I have to watch what they watch, which in that case was the Eagles and Cowboys. They would flip to our game during commercials. I got to see mainly a stream of turnovers when they switched over to us during the first half. We had a break for a sit down family dinner, so the next time they switched over, there were 2 minutes left and we had the game in hand. They got a laugh at my shocked and happy reaction. Sure wish I could have watched us turn it around in the second half.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Jose is a daw...g.......savage! I missed his s*** talking and ability to rattle the opposing team. Usher has the swag and it factor too. Just need to continue to get him looks so he can find and stay in a rhythm. Moses was great. I wish they spelled him a little bit for Evan to make sure he didn't foul out but he did exactly what everyone on this board has been begging for......and it turned out great. Great job keyboard warriors!

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
There have obviously been a lot of problems with CJP's teams at Tech so far. However, for the most part, I always found that they have been extremely easy to root for, if for nothing else than their energy and hustle. The kids have felt under-talented, but always seemed to be giving their all for the jersey. That had been missing a bit this year. With Jose back, I felt he gave the whole team that energy. Love it. Still a bit ugly, but I can root for that.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I too didn't get to watch a lot of the game but I did get to see the second half where we pulled away. Jose keyed the defense and the 2 3 point shots he did hit were right on time to be the difference in the game. He does make us better - question now is how much better.

Overall we beat a team we should beat if we are the middle of the pack ACC team we all think/hope we are. After a few **** shows that is no small statement.

We played D again like we expect to. After the **** shows, I was worried about whether the team was all in. You really see that on D and they played hard (what I saw). Again no small statement after what multiple folks saw before.

The ball definitely moved better with Jose in. At half my comment was ball moved but no one could make a play. DeVoe can't be 0-6 from 3. Bubba and Moore can't have 5 and 2 points respectively with 25 min on the court. On the other side Moses took 1 three point shot, only had 2 TOs with 18 points. Take that all day long and he seemed to be in the right spots for the game.

The question going forward is can they step up in class and keep winning. Houston is the first step. They have dug a really deep hole if they want to be bubbly so a win over Houston would be another step up toward digging out.

GT_EE78

Banned
great to finally have all starters on the floor. that win was much needed.
We're +7.5 versus Houston O/U is 132.5
I like the over and to win outright.
Houston plays small.Leading rebounder is a 6'5 guard.We'll rebound well.
Beating RPI 100+ teams should be the norm
it's another must-win if we want to get on the path to recovery

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice 2nd half! Moses Wright - wow - we were so much better with him as the only big. I have to give credit and love to Jose and Usher. I gave Usher a hard time in the 1st half, but he proved me wrong.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Nice 2nd half! Moses Wright - wow - we were so much better with him as the only big. I have to give credit and love to Jose and Usher. I gave Usher a hard time in the 1st half, but he proved me wrong.

Yes about Wright, I'm not sure what if anything is going on with Banks, but sometimes it seems he isn't all there ...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Sorry for the cross post mods, but I’m tired of the dead horse thread that was the post game ball state fiasco. Turning the page here.

@Gtbowhunter90 I’m genuinely curious not throwing shade here.

Still feel that way after the second half last night?

I absolutely still do feel this way. We still havent played a complete game yet and have been down every game we've played this year. I realize that its hard to play a full 40 minutes and basketball is a game of runs but I would really like to see more consistency.

Deleted member 2897

I absolutely still do feel this way. We still havent played a complete game yet and have been down every game we've played this year. I realize that its hard to play a full 40 minutes and basketball is a game of runs but I would really like to see more consistency.

Well if the other team scores first, you’re down every game. :D

Remember Jose is the guy who bounced the ball off the defenders forehead in high school and then drive by him for a layup. The guy gives no ****s and is fire.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
College Basketball Sharp Betting Pick: Houston vs. Georgia Tech
Houston opened as an 8-point favorite and 62% of bets are backing the Cougars.

However, while Georgia Tech is garnering just 38% of the spread action, those bets account for an overwhelming 85% of money wagered, revealing that the biggest bets are hitting the underdog Yellow Jackets.

Sports Insights’ Bet Signals triggered a Steam Move at Georgia Tech +8, confirming that wiseguy action is responsible for the lopsided money splits.

With heavy money from respected bettors hitting the Jackets, oddsmakers have had no choice but to drop this spread to +7.5, with some books down to +7 as well.

Sharp angle: Georgia Tech (moved from +8 to +7.5)

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab...ck-sharp-money-houston-vs-georgia-tech-monday

Deleted member 2897

However, while Georgia Tech is garnering just 38% of the spread action, those bets account for an overwhelming 85% of money wagered, revealing that the biggest bets are hitting the underdog Yellow Jackets.

Sports Insights’ Bet Signals triggered a Steam Move at Georgia Tech +8, confirming that wiseguy action is responsible for the lopsided money splits.

With heavy money from respected bettors hitting the Jackets, oddsmakers have had no choice but to drop this spread to +7.5, with some books down to +7 as well.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab...ck-sharp-money-houston-vs-georgia-tech-monday

Yup. Poor Boise State and poor Houston. They have to face a different team from just a few days ago.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Poor @RyanS12. Hope he got in at +8.