Have you ever randomly met any GT athletes/coaches?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A few weeks after we won the Orange Bowl, I saw Justin Thomas as I was walking out of the Couch building. I congratulated him on a great performance, and he thanked me. Seemed like a calm and humble guy. I had a similar encounter with Robby Godhigh seeing him on campus a couple years after he graduated.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I have run into a few over the years but two experiences stand out to me:

First was coming across Joe Hamilton and Lucius Sanford together at a Tech baseball game. They were both very friendly and down to earth guys. We ended up chatting for a while about Tech sports.

The second was when a buddy and I went to the Champ Sports Bowl with no real plans. We somehow ended up invited to a large tailgate in the RV lot that had ex-Tech players and families including John Davis. John let me try on his AFC Championship ring, which was huge!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yep, wife amdI wee at that OB.Maybe never been colder in my life.Almost at top of stafium with 25 mph winds and then LOSE.So sweet in'14 vs Ms St and it was 70 degrees.
The coldest OB game temperature on record. It was too cold to be that close to Miami.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
Greg Gathers and his family on a hotel elevator after a game. Bill Curry while running the George Griffin Pi miles race around campus. Curry is probably 10 years older than me and it was all I could do to keep up with him. He appeared effortless as he ran.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After a game I was in line behind a young David Curry at the Pizza place next to gt conference center and hotel. He had gotten a chance to play late in game where gt had the bad guys backed up near the goal line. Play went right and david did not bend - but shot the gap and ran back down for a near safety. As he came off field coach roof gave him the atta boy point. I asked david if he would ever forget making that tackle? He got big smile and said " no sir".

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Ran into George Oleary in 2000 at the Newark, NJ airport. Me and some friends flew in there for a trip to NYC. Very random. Later we found out there was some coaches conference up there.
George O’Leary is one of my favorite coaches in all of sports and I’ll admit I’m very biased towards him but when you look at the man’s track record Ga Tech and UCF and know what kind of situations he took over at them 2 programs I just don’t believe you can get any better than George O’Leary. IMO ND missed out on a few NC’s…as I said in another post, Bobby Ross, Ralph Freidgen and George O’Leary all coaching on the same sideline is the best I’ve ever seen smh lol. That my friends is a great coaching staff. I miss them dudes! It’s in Brent Keys hands now 😁

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
My father graduated in 1954 and I grew up immersed in Tech football.

One day in 1986 or 87 as I was walking passed the Edge building Bobby Dodd appeared. No one else around - just the two of us. He looked like the classic Southern gentleman. He smiled and nodded but I didn’t know what to say - I was start struck.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
My father graduated in 1954 and I grew up immersed in Tech football.

One day in 1986 or 87 as I was walking passed the Edge building Bobby Dodd appeared. No one else around - just the two of us. He looked like the classic Southern gentleman. He smiled and nodded but I didn’t know what to say - I was start struck.
I’d be too! You are one lucky fellow.

danwatch

Georgia Tech Fan
A year ago I was on a transatlantic cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and I bumped into a guy with a GT shirt and introduced myself. He told me the great Bobby Cremins was on the ship, and sure enough he was. I met up with Bobby and his wife a couple of days later. Had several conversations with him and can say he is one genuine hell of a nice guy and most solid Tech fan. Big highlight of my cruise.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Attended the 2009 spring game. Got my picture with BeBe, Dwyer and Roddy. Shook Tashard Choice’s hand.

Got to be on the sideline for the 2011 spring game. Roddy was down there and I got to speak with him for a few. He is super chill and a good dude. Also met Wes Durham, he wasn’t so friendly and seemed agitated I wanted to speak to him.

Also met TJ Barnes dad after a game and he was nice. We talked about how TJ Barnes had Tajh Boyd running for his life in that 2011 Clemson game.

And I finally had a run in with D-Mo in 2019 at the dreaded *gulp* Citadel game, I believe his last year there. Shook his hand and told him I enjoyed meeting him and got a picture.

Last edited: