Have you ever randomly met any GT athletes/coaches?

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
I have two stories. A few years back George O'Leary was at a game bc he was being honored for something, I think an anniversary of one of his teams. When me and my family (which includes my dad, mom, and twin brother) walked out of the stadium after the game, there was Coach O'Leary minding his own business walking out of the stadium as well. I'm too young to remember him (but I know about his time and accomplishments at Tech.) but I recognized him and when my dad saw him his eyes lit up. He was very kind and let us pose for photos with him.

Another time, I was jogging around Tech. This one was a few months back, I think November '22. I go to Woodward and in the cross country/track offseason when I don't practice at school I will go to my mom's office which is in midtown, change into running clothes, and run around midtown and the Tech campus. (This is how I sneak into the stadium sometimes.) I was jogging by the edge center, and who do I see walking down the sidewalk? Coach Nell Fortner. I hollered "Coach Nell!" and when she turned around little did I know She was talking on the phone. I felt bad but when she hung up on whoever she was talking to she was kind and let me take a pic with her. She asked me to keep up the support and try to go to some WBB games.

I'm very young, and I bet some of you guys have some crazy stories of bumping into Tech legends out in the wild.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Shared this right after it happened, but...

We took the extended family to Yokoso over here in Goose Creek, SC for a joint birthday celebration a few years ago. As we were gathering to wait out front, I noticed another GT license plate in the parking lot. Not a lot of those in these parts.

A few minutes later, an older gentleman walked out and went to the other car with the GT plate. On his way back in, he noticed my GT shirt and said "you must be driving the van" with a smile. We spoke for a few minutes there out front when he told me "my son is the punter on the football team." To my embarrassment I responded "well, I guess that makes you Percy Harvin II." Of course he laughed and politely corrected me that he was actually Pressley Harvin II.

He asked if I'd like to meet him and walked me in to their table where they were celebrating a birthday as well. Got to speak to Pressley III for a few minutes but didn't want to keep him from his family time. Very nice kid and family.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I met Dwyane Morrison on MARTA some years ago. We spoke of the year we beat KY (and Rupp twice). I think it was 1955 or 1956. He had a funny story about that. After we beat KY at their place, Rupp brought a filming crew ( which was rare in those days) to Atlanta to film his revenge and take it back to show KY fans. I was in Harris at the time and said no way I was going to see this disaster. But with the window open I kept hearing these roars. Finally went, stood at the door ( too big crowd to get in) and enjoyed the win. Coach said Rupp sent HIM the film and he still had it.

SJBryan

Georgia Tech Fan
Two stories-
While attending a game with Miami- we sat behind all the Rhino’s- we didn’t overwhelm them with conversation just shook hands watched the game.

Another time my friend, Son and I were watching Lamar County and the Austin Twins. My friend was buddies with Lamar County’s Head Coach and got us sideline passes. While at halftime- Andy McCollum came over to us and said - Anyone that has GT gear on at the game, I wanna shake their hand. Andy was a great guy and still stay in touch with him on Facebook.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
I met Dwyane Morrison on MARTA some years ago. We spoke of the year we beat KY (and Rupp twice). I think it was 1955 or 1956. He had a funny story about that. After we beat KY at their place, Rupp brought a filming crew ( which was rare in those days) to Atlanta to film his revenge and take it back to show KY fans. I was in Harris at the time and said no way I was going to see this disaster. But with the window open I kept hearing these roars. Finally went, stood at the door ( too big crowd to get in) and enjoyed the win. Coach said Rupp sent HIM the film and he still had it.
you mean Whack Hyder? I may be wrong but I thought he was coach back in the 50's and 60's and it wasn't until the 70's that Morrison was our coach.

Last edited:

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I stopped at a food truck on the side of the road near Westminster SC and there was a guy wearing a GT shirt. I asked “ what’s the good word?” and he gave the proper response. We talked a little bit then I asked him if anyone ever told him he looked like Ted Roof, and he replied “ I hope so. I am Ted Roof.”

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
Two stories-
While attending a game with Miami- we sat behind all the Rhino’s- we didn’t overwhelm them with conversation just shook hands watched the game.

Another time my friend, Son and I were watching Lamar County and the Austin Twins. My friend was buddies with Lamar County’s Head Coach and got us sideline passes. While at halftime- Andy McCollum came over to us and said - Anyone that has GT gear on at the game, I wanna shake their hand. Andy was a great guy and still stay in touch with him on Facebook.
Up until 6th grade I used to play basketball at NYO in Chastian Park. My mom was the coach of me and my brother's team and Kelly Rhino was a coach as well. I've met him, Randy, and the grandson Austin who is my age went to my elementary school. Haven't seen them in a few years though.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Couple of stories to share here...

I grew up in the same town that Scott Blair and his family are from. My stepmom knew how big of a Tech fan I am and before she and my father married, she lived next door to the Blair's. Well little to my knowledge, but she had arranged for us to meet them at the local Dairy Queen and I got to meet Scott Blair! I was pretty young at the time, but I had a blast getting to talk to him and his family. Super down to earth people and very friendly to speak with.

Secondly, was at the Vanderbilt-GT football game at Tech a couple years back and was given tickets to sit in the gold seats. Me and my then fiancée sat down and the usuals were greeting each other and having a good time. Low and behold a man shorter than I with a white towel draped over his shoulder stopped and asked me a question and I gave him an answer and we went back to enjoying the game. It never crossed my mind till later that it was Joe Hamilton! I've since kicked myself for not talking more to him or get an autograph or picture.....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I use to run into Paul Johnson frequently at my local watering hole before he moved away. I always respected his personal time so never went out of my way to try to talk to him...but we did have several small conversations when he was pool room. SUPER nice and cordial, and the staff there have nothing but nice things to say about him.

Matt Harpring was in one of my classes back when I was an undergrad at GT. If I ever meet any of you in person, feel free to ask me about it...it's a funny story, but I won't share it in this forum.

I ran into Harrison Butker several times at the Atlanta United games when they played at BDS. For as slight and wiry as he is, it's incredible how much power he gets out of those legs.

I met a friend for lunch at this 24 hr diner just off campus...it was close to Rocky Mtn Pizza. I don't think it's there anymore. This was the year before Hewitt took GT to the NCAACG. We walk in and BJ Elder, Anthony McHenry, Marvin Lewis, and Mario West are all sitting at a table waiting for their food. My head was trying to wrap around 4 of our players sitting at a table at some random diner...I most definitely stared way longer than I should have and they each shot me a "WTF are you staring at?!" look...and they most certainly were in the right to do that. 😄

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
I use to run into Paul Johnson frequently at my local watering hole before he moved away. I always respected his personal time so never went out of my way to try to talk to him...but we did have several small conversations when he was pool room. SUPER nice and cordial, and the staff there have nothing but nice things to say about him.

Matt Harpring was in one of my classes back when I was an undergrad at GT. If I ever meet any of you in person, feel free to ask me about it...it's a funny story, but I won't share it in this forum.

I ran into Harrison Butker several times at the Atlanta United games when they played at BDS. For as slight and wiry as he is, it's incredible how much power he gets out of those legs.

I met a friend for lunch at this 24 hr diner just off campus...it was close to Rocky Mtn Pizza. I don't think it's there anymore. This was the year before Hewitt took GT to the NCAACG. We walk in and BJ Elder, Anthony McHenry, Marvin Lewis, and Mario West are all sitting at a table waiting for their food. My head was trying to wrap around 4 of our players sitting at a table at some random diner...I most definitely stared way longer than I should have and they each shot me a "WTF are you staring at?!" look...and they most certainly were in the right to do that. 😄
Another story about my time at Chastian Park/NYO, my last year playing hoops there Matt Harpring's daughter Katie was on our team and Matt and my mom co-coached the team. It was awesome. His daughter's a baller too. I ran into Matt last year at the Woodward vs Marist football game.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes indeed, the night before my last exam. All my tough exams were done and I had one last easy one for a class I don't even remember so I wasn't taking it that seriously and went out to Rocky with some friends for some beers.

And what do you know, who's sitting at the table behind us.....that's right...Taylor Bennett. Chatted briefly, he was telling us how much he missed Atlanta after transferring to LA Tech and we should enjoy it, took some shots with him and carried on.

Then probably an hour later I see my buddy talking to some dude in a hoodie with a big fro by the bar. After a double take guess who it is...Reggie Ball. Chat him up take some shots with him and carry on. A memorable night for ending my Tech stint by drinking with 2 former starting QBs.

And I served Calvin a sandwich once when I was working at Firehouse.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Certainly not me, but I remember a poster on another board who goes by "GTJT" once relating that he'd met Dodd, Cremins, and Ciraldo.
I was very impressed by that because those are the three Tech icons I most revere. All three giants of Tech sports and by all accounts, humble, upstanding, fine gentlemen as well.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I was in the marching band during the 2014 season, and we got to go to Charlotte for the ACCCG. The night before the game, they had a pep rally thing in a market square area with parts of the bands playing songs back and forth. I wasn't assigned to play, so I was walking around that area with friends, and we ended up close to someone we thought was Jamal Golden. As we were trying to figure out if it was him or not, he turned and said, "Hi guys, I'm Jamal" and he was really nice and conversational with us.

Another time maybe 2012/2013, I was riding my bike near the North Ave dining hall, and a big FB player, probably a dlineman, yelled that he wanted my bike. I was far away from him and smiled and kept riding. It was early in the year, and I figured he was tired from conditioning and practice and didn't want to have to walk.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I used to see Michael Cheever every so often at our chiropractor's office. I didn't recognize him the first time he walked in because he had lost so much weight since his playing days. Seriously the dude looked amazingly fit! Another guy I saw relatively frequently was Patrick Nix because back then Bo played in our rec baseball league so I'd see Patrick at the fields and chat with him once or twice. He was a nice guy to chat with and we kept it to the baseball stuff.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I had a class with Tashard Choice, who is hilarious by the way. First day this 350lb dude walks up to him and I as we're heading out of class and asks, "remember me bub?"

TC Responds, "Nah, sorry where do we know eachother from?"
BubbaDude, "Yeah man, we were in camp together, I was a Walk On trying out for OL.."
TC, "Sorry man, can't place you, what happened?"
BubbaDude, "Yeah day one, Coach asked us to run sprints, and I said.. Aw man, I don't run wind sprints coach. I just shuffle left, shuffle Right, then go get my oxygen tank".
TC, bursts out laughing in the middle, "That was you dude, you're a legend man"

Many other anecdotes from Tashard that aren't great message board fodder.