Have you ever randomly met any GT athletes/coaches?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Played golf with Wes Durham, Paul Johnson, Charles Kelly, Sewak, and couple others from CPJ’s staff.

Met Bobby Cremmins at Kiawah too.

My brother spilled nachos all over Varitek at the peach bowl when LSU clobbered us.

I crashed into Kelly Rhino and his wife at the GT - Clemson game that we won on the BEBE Thomas fake FG for a TD game- I was jumping up and down when we converted like a 3rd and 19 towards the end of the game and fell over into the Rhino family.

Met Dwyer on the sidelines of UGA game that we lost and he was distraught- tried to encourage him to get ready for the ACC championship game that we won a week later over the Tigs.

Met Joe Hamilton numerous times- in Chicago for our game against ND
I have also played golf with Wes, Paul, and Mike.... have WE played golf with each other?

Dwyer and I were acquaintances from HS (we also played vs each other, I'm on his highlight reel as a dude who got ran over), so some of the guys on that squad would hang out at my place after games. Nesbitt hated losing during the game more than anyone I know, but after an hour or two he was over it and back to being happy (yes, he smiles, contrary to the meme). Dwyer on the other hand, would stew on it for days.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Funny story of a player's parents:

Saw a couple wearing Scott Blair jerseys in Starkville when we were out there in 2009. Asked them if they were his parents and their response was a trepidatious "depends on the game" to which I responded "come on, he's got the best passer rating on the team." We had a good laugh and chatted for a minute or two. That dude always had a highlight when we played Clemson.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I got three for yall

1) I was lab partners with Don (Duck) Stephenson's (All-American Lineman, 1956 & 57) daughter in Middle School in Smyrna GA. I had finished up whatever we were supposed to be doing that day and like a true nerd, pulled out a GT football book and started reading it. His daughter looked across the table and it was opened to page with Stephenson on it and said something like "hey, that's Daddy!"

2) Got lit up in SAC one spring evening by Mark Price. We had a pretty good run going, but then Price and Petway and a few others came in. I got the honor of trying to guard Mark. Lit me up like a Christmas tree. I did score on him once though!

3) A few years ago, I met Bill Curry leaving a GT football game. I believe he had been honored at half time. My wife and I were leaving after the game and walked up on him from behind at Peter's park. Said "hi coach" and made a little small talk. It was a fun chance meeting.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I got three for yall

1) I was lab partners with Don (Duck) Stephenson's (All-American Lineman, 1956 & 57) daughter in Middle School in Smyrna GA. I had finished up whatever we were supposed to be doing that day and like a true nerd, pulled out a GT football book and started reading it. His daughter looked across the table and it was opened to page with Stephenson on it and said something like "hey, that's Daddy!"

2) Got lit up in SAC one spring evening by Mark Price. We had a pretty good run going, but then Price and Petway and a few others came in. I got the honor of trying to guard Mark. Lit me up like a Christmas tree. I did score on him once though!

3) A few years ago, I met Bill Curry leaving a GT football game. I believe he had been honored at half time. My wife and I were leaving after the game and walked up on him from behind at Peter's park. Said "hi coach" and made a little small talk. It was a fun chance meeting.
Bill Curry is a man I'd love to meet. He's such a great man and probably has a lot of stories to tell.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I got three for yall

Oh,, I totally forgot about SAC. I played pick up games with Kenny Anderson and Dennis Scott. I also play a lot with the kid from England.

Kenny defied the laws of Physics. Fastest acceleration I have ever seen on the court in person. I could usually stay with most any guard but he made me look like a clown. His Raw talent was at another level. Kinda like Calvin Johnson.

konabuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Ran into Malcolm Mackey at PHX when he was playing for the Suns. Wasn't a huge surprise - the flight was ATL-PHX.

My dad actually gave Bobby Cremins a ride to his car at ATL years ago right after Bobby had some kind of knee surgery. Totally random. Seems to be a lot of Bobby sightings.

Not really random, but have a picture with Stewart Cink green side on the 17th at Augusta from a Wednesday years ago. I was decked out in GT garb and my dad just asked. Years later, his oldest son dated my step daughter.......

Ran into Brian Gregory after he was let go by Tech at the Atlanta ATP tournament a few years ago. Had short conversation.

I worked in the AA part time 90/91 so nothing about that was random and knew a lot of athletes.

Ran into Ted Roof in Carrollton when he was coaching at West Georgia.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Flew the team into Roanoke for the VT game. Weather was dog poo and after two approaches we diverted to another airfield. I got to spend a few hours talking to PJ and the rest of the coaches while we waited on the weather to clear up. Great bunch of players and coaches. Still remember standing in the door as they all deplaned and telling them all to go kick some Gobbler a$$. It was awesome watching them do it.

Last edited:

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Not a GT player or coach meeting, but just to show you how athletes respond to the truly great ones you happen to meet or bump into.....

In 1970, Archie Manning was in town to receive some sort of award from the Atlanta Touchdown Club or maybe the Capital City Club & had stopped by GT to pay his respects to one of our defensive coaches, Warner Alford, a former Ole Miss Captain on their 1960 MNC team.

Warner, who would go on to be the Ole Miss AD & later Alumni Association Director, was the complete antithesis of Jerry Glanville & Lamar Leachman, and was one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

Anyway, Warner & Archie were having lunch in our Training Table (AKA "Twiggy's Diner," so named for our dietician, Ms, Helen Twiggs) and we were in awe. A few of our guys were from Mississippi, Larry Studdard's brother Vernon was one of Archie's favorite WRs, and thus knew Archie from their HS days. But overall, we just said hi & moved along, respecting his privacy.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
I sat behind Chan Gailey in San Antonio during the 2004 finals basketball game. I overheard several cool conversations. He was very excited for the basketball team and what being in the finals could do for GT.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have two stories. A few years back George O'Leary was at a game bc he was being honored for something, I think an anniversary of one of his teams. When me and my family (which includes my dad, mom, and twin brother) walked out of the stadium after the game, there was Coach O'Leary minding his own business walking out of the stadium as well. I'm too young to remember him (but I know about his time and accomplishments at Tech.) but I recognized him and when my dad saw him his eyes lit up. He was very kind and let us pose for photos with him.

Another time, I was jogging around Tech. This one was a few months back, I think November '22. I go to Woodward and in the cross country/track offseason when I don't practice at school I will go to my mom's office which is in midtown, change into running clothes, and run around midtown and the Tech campus. (This is how I sneak into the stadium sometimes.) I was jogging by the edge center, and who do I see walking down the sidewalk? Coach Nell Fortner. I hollered "Coach Nell!" and when she turned around little did I know She was talking on the phone. I felt bad but when she hung up on whoever she was talking to she was kind and let me take a pic with her. She asked me to keep up the support and try to go to some WBB games.

I'm very young, and I bet some of you guys have some crazy stories of bumping into Tech legends out in the wild.
Met and talked to the great Roger Kaiser a few years back at AMC had short nice conversation. Truly a great person. Always knew Kim King from my high school years.