Have we turned into Dawgs?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most people were expecting 6 to 8 wins this year... we all secretly hoped for a 12 win season.
  • I think the close win to BC made us very very nervous
  • The win was dominate over Mercer, but we expected 70 points
  • The win over Vandy was sound and everyone was happy
  • GT got an "expected" loss to Clemson, but being cold cocked in the 1st half made people very worried again
  • GT played Miami as expected except back to back scope and scores
  • Now the sky has hit us on the head

Most said win the first 3 and 1 of the second 3 would be expected.

I would "expect" to win out but see winning 3 of the next 5 and toss up with Georgia as likely.

That puts GT at 7-8 to 5-4 in regular season. This is what I would expect after a true rebuilding year. We do not reload.

Now you have the "I hate this offense" and the Dawg equivalent "I can't stand to lose" tantrums.

Don't be a "dawg".

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Most people were expecting 6 to 8 wins this year... we all secretly hoped for a 12 win season.
  • GT got an "expected" loss to Clemson, but being cold cocked in the 1st half made people very worried again

I would "expect" to win out but see winning 3 of the next 5 and toss up with Georgia as likely.

That puts GT at 7-8 to 5-4 in regular season. This is what I would expect after a true rebuilding year. We do not reload.

Now you have the "I hate this offense" and the Dawg equivalent "I can't stand to lose" tantrums.

Don't be a "dawg".

Another explanation is that some of them are.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow

Don't be a "dawg".

As always, @Longestday has his mind rite.

Without the mistakes we were in it with thug u. So yes I may have elevated expectations probably why fan is short for fanatic. Or would we rather have a fan base that wants to beat on lower tier opponents to only fail against the better football teams. I feel this team and this school can and should compete with anyone. It takes a special athlete to deal with the academics invloved and excel at the sport he loves. I'm gonna be rooting em on and being disappointed when we don't accomplish the feats these outstanding atheletes are capable of. Go Jackets.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Without the mistakes we were in it with thug u. So yes I may have elevated expectations probably why fan is short for fanatic. Or would we rather have a fan base that wants to beat on lower tier opponents to only fail against the better football teams. I feel this team and this school can and should compete with anyone. It takes a special athlete to deal with the academics invloved and excel at the sport he loves. I'm gonna be rooting em on and being disappointed when we don't accomplish the feats these outstanding atheletes are capable of. Go Jackets.
We have competed with everyone on our schedule so far except for Clemson. Clemson is a national title contender. If we're supposed to compete with them, then I assume you expect us to be a national title Contender too.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Don't be a "dawg".
In answer to your question , yes some do act like uga fans.
I have had season ticket since 1981 so I know what bad years look like. I still get upset if we lose but I find it best to not say any till the next day. I see 7 wins and hope for one more . I know we do not reload at Tech. It would be great if JT had one more year with most of the OL coming back next. But I feel good with starting MJ next year, I like the way he turns it up field. ( But that's me and I feel CPJ will start who is the best) And unlike some I like CPJ and hope he is here a long time.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I cannot control the program. With what is put in, the difficulties of the hill, and a dang good coach/quality character players.... I expect what we are getting.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In what way does Tech position itself to be elite? Yes national titles are the goal and possible if every break goes our way and we are on a up year talent / experience wise. But what is Tech doing to position itself with the big boys???

I agree with you longestday and it is what it is. I just get angered by alumni bragging about 1 in 6 millionaires then saying no money spent on program. If this is the case I'm a tech fan regardless I would be just as happy if we were FCS. If we are not capable of competing for a national championship then the logical decision is to drop down. No team can compete for titles year in and year out. Well except Bama. We should strive to be the best we can be and not just settle for where we are. I liked what CPJ said about commitment. If the administration is not gonna commit to the football program I think the best option is to drop to FCS.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you longestday and it is what it is. I just get angered by alumni bragging about 1 in 6 millionaires then saying no money spent on program. If this is the case I'm a tech fan regardless I would be just as happy if we were FCS. If we are not capable of competing for a national championship then the logical decision is to drop down. No team can compete for titles year in and year out. Well except Bama. We should strive to be the best we can be and not just settle for where we are. I liked what CPJ said about commitment. If the administration is not gonna commit to the football program I think the best option is to drop to FCS.

I took those comments totally differently. I didn't think he was calling out the school admin. He said that the GTAA does not have as much money as other programs. He also said that at Clemson, they had 80k people in the stands and 40k people outside the stadium. I firmly do not believe the school should be using a lot of money to support the GTAA. The school should be spending money on school and research. The lack of money raised by the GTAA is firmly on the fans. UGA fans, and Clemson fans, and Alabama fans, and FSU fans, and Auburn fans, and etc... all donate lots of money to the programs. All of those programs have people who show up for the games. The mutts even had over 90k show up for their spring game. The administration cannot fix the issues that CPJ was complaining about. It is all on us.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No, no, don't drop. Please no. It's OK if it is a struggle. We CAN be better, but for crying out loud, we just had a long long bowl streak snapped last season, one of the longest in the nation. That pretty much defines us as competitive in the division we are in. We are not a dominant program but we are respected and probably deserve to be in the top third of the FBS if you take a quarter century, or decade, or even last 5 seasons long glance. In the last 20 or so seasons, how many times have we finished first or second in our division of the ACC? Let's be real. Everybody doesn't get a trophy. I would rather play in one college playoff over the next 20 years than win 4 nattys at the FCS level.

Additionally, I am having trouble with the following mindset, not because it is unique to us, but just because I don't understand it. I see it happening across pretty much all fan bases. You know, it is the one where we predict season records ahead of time, before the season starts, watch a game or two, lament and then revise our stance on the season record, watch a couple more, then revise it again, repeat repeat and repeat until the season ends, constantly trying to define expectations for a finishing record and what will make us happy. Why are we in such a hurry to guess or know where we will stand at the end? We have a game to play this week. We will have a game nearly every week, until it is over, then we will know where we stand relative to everybody else. Let's learn to live in the moment and appreciate every game for what it is, another chance to experience the joy of competition. As hard as I try, I just can't seem to look beyond the next game. We could be undefeated and it wouldn't matter. Last year, we had won a total of 3 games and I was jacked for every one of them, even after we were 9 and 10 games in. Surely I wasn't happy with the record and the season, but it would have made it no better had I predicted it from the start.

I love tech football have for over 30 years. Win or lose I support em. Will continue being a fan, I like CPJ and Roof. What I don't like is hearing we don't have the athletes to compete. Take a look at Nfl rosters lots of 2 & 3 stars on em. We have not yet begun to fight the season is young. Any give. Day could be ours but we have to stop beating ourselves. I also liked CPJ saying if someone's not getting the job done try someone else. Here's to an undefeated rest of the season Boomer.