Have to Step Up!!

42 freeman keshun KeShun Freeman DL 74 6-2 250 7 SR LaGrange, Ga./Callaway
54 cerge-henderson kyle Kyle Cerge-Henderson DL 73 6-1 298 5 JR Tampa, Fla./Plant
69 williams nick Nick Williams DL 74 6-2 273 4 RS SO Johns Creek, Ga./Chattahoochee
74 white josh Josh White DL 76 6-4 240 2 RS FR Marietta, Ga./Walton
76 brooks djimon Djimon Brooks DL 73 6-1 276 2 RS FR Sandersville, Ga./Washington County
79 tukes josh Josh Tukes DL 78 6-6 225 1 FR Covington, Ga./Newton
89 owens antwan Antwan Owens DL 76 6-4 270 1 FR Tallahassee, Fla./Godby
90 adams brandon Brandon Adams DL 74 6-2 329 3 SO Brentwood, Tenn./Brentwood Academy
91 dawson kelton Kelton Dawson DL 75 6-3 242 1 FR Stockbridge, Ga./Stockbridge
92 alston cortez Cortez Alston DL 75 6-3 247 1 FR Atlanta, Ga./Westminster
93 simmons antonio Antonio Simmons DL 75 6-3 246 7 SR Jacksonville, Fla./University Christian School
94 saint-amour anree Anree Saint-Amour DL 75 6-3 247 5 JR Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett
95 merriweather tyler Tyler Merriweather DL 75 6-3 238 6 RS JR Demopolis, Ala./Demopolis
96 martin chris Chris Martin DL 73 6-1 289 2 RS FR Loganville, Ga./Grayson
97 glanton brentavious Brentavious Glanton DL 75 6-3 293 4 RS SO Albany, Ga./Monroe Comprehensive
98 vernon tyler Tyler Vernon DL 75 6-3 231 2 RS FR Hoschton, Ga./Mill Creek
99 branch desmond Desmond Branch DL 75 6-3 270 6 RS JR Rio Rancho, N.M./Cleveland/Trinity Valley Community College

This group excluding the Sr's really needs to step up in a big way next year. We have a couple of good recruits coming in so this group should be able to put the right players at the right positions next year. Such as putting Branch at DE. They also will have more depth at this positon group than they have had in several years.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
54 cerge-henderson kyle Kyle Cerge-Henderson DL 73 6-1 298 5 JR Tampa, Fla./Plant
69 williams nick Nick Williams DL 74 6-2 273 4 RS SO Johns Creek, Ga./Chattahoochee
74 white josh Josh White DL 76 6-4 240 2 RS FR Marietta, Ga./Walton
76 brooks djimon Djimon Brooks DL 73 6-1 276 2 RS FR Sandersville, Ga./Washington County
79 tukes josh Josh Tukes DL 78 6-6 225 1 FR Covington, Ga./Newton
89 owens antwan Antwan Owens DL 76 6-4 270 1 FR Tallahassee, Fla./Godby
90 adams brandon Brandon Adams DL 74 6-2 329 3 SO Brentwood, Tenn./Brentwood Academy
91 dawson kelton Kelton Dawson DL 75 6-3 242 1 FR Stockbridge, Ga./Stockbridge
92 alston cortez Cortez Alston DL 75 6-3 247 1 FR Atlanta, Ga./Westminster

94 saint-amour anree Anree Saint-Amour DL 75 6-3 247 5 JR Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett
95 merriweather tyler Tyler Merriweather DL 75 6-3 238 6 RS JR Demopolis, Ala./Demopolis
96 martin chris Chris Martin DL 73 6-1 289 2 RS FR Loganville, Ga./Grayson
97 glanton brentavious Brentavious Glanton DL 75 6-3 293 4 RS SO Albany, Ga./Monroe Comprehensive
98 vernon tyler Tyler Vernon DL 75 6-3 231 2 RS FR Hoschton, Ga./Mill Creek
99 branch desmond Desmond Branch DL 75 6-3 270 6 RS JR Rio Rancho, N.M./Cleveland/Trinity Valley Community College

List without the 2 seniors...

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I really hope we have some guys step up inside so Branch can slide back outside. He did a hell of a job in the middle, but his natural spot is on the end. If we can start Branch, Cerge-Henderson, Adams, Saint-Amour and have some depth behind them we might finally be in good shape on the Dline.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I hope they all develop physically in the off season. None are all that quick or fast to be that light. I’m tired of getting pushed around on the LOS and qbs having time to eat a sandwich back there.

Branch has very good quickness. Just lacks the size to fight off double teams. I think he is yet one more example of a DE pressed into a DT role due to our shortcomings at DT. I was hoping KCH, BG, BA, and one more might be able to shore up the inside spots effectively. But I find myself hoping for the same exact thing again this offseason.

We very rarely field a DL that enjoys the luxury of more than one impact player in the front 4 any given season. Daryl Richard and Derrick Morgan. Coleman Rudolph and Marco Coleman. Other than maybe one or 2 more examples I can think of it's typically one impact player plaited with a future impact player that hasn't developed yet.

We are getting a good bit better in the depth department. It is still to be determined how much we are improving in the impact player department.

Branch imo had the most impact in the front 4 this year. I'm optimistic about BGs development. I think Branch could make an even bigger impact from the edge if allowed to slide outside. That may be a big "if." But the numbers we have there now should at least help keep the guys from getting worn down as much as games progress.

I thought we improved a good bit holding the LOS and making some 3rd and 4th and short stops. Where we were most lacking, once again, was pass rush imo.

I was hopeful but doubted the ability of our returning ends to get a significant pass rush. I don't see an obvious answer to this concern heading into next year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think that with Chimedza coming in early, Cerge, Glanton, and Adams with some experience, and Smith, we'll field a useful bunch of DTs next year. This will allow Branch, no doubt with a sigh of relief, to move back to SDE where he belongs. If that happens, the DL next year could shape well.

Now, watch: Martin will come on in the spring and win a job. That or something like it is what always happens when I do this.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think that with Chimedza coming in early, Cerge, Glanton, and Adams with some experience, and Smith, we'll field a useful bunch of DTs next year. This will allow Branch, no doubt with a sigh of relief, to move back to SDE where he belongs. If that happens, the DL next year could shape well.

Now, watch: Martin will come on in the spring and win a job. That or something like it is what always happens when I do this.
I hope you’re right.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Direction at DT looks good. Not so much at DE.

Need DEs who can win 1 on 1's , and need to have a rotation. Unless some of the guys listed above and/or the german and hard hitting overgrown high jumper coming in as frosh on the DE pan out & do so ahead of schedule we are in trouble.

Even just one being effective now plus Branch moving to DE/studing out and St Amour stepping up to the next level would be big. That's a lot to go right though. Thread title is right....guys have to step up. New CBs next year too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Asking undersized dl or lb to hit the giant ol man head on to neutralize the giant has not worked. Maybe they can get big. Last year they leaned down which I thought wa s because we were commited to gap rushing

Td roof is only guy I saw that seldom takes a direct hit

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It seemed Cerge Henderson's role diminished as the season went along. I don't know if he was injured or not but his playing time went down as the year went along. We started playing Adams some more and Glanton got a lot of reps. Branch seemed to be the guy out there the most. I hope that Adams can step up and be an every down type of player with the numbers being plentiful, hopefully we can find 2 guys that can clog the middle and push the pocket. Each year is different so hope springs eternal.

I do believe it is time to look at Mike Pelton and make sure he is the right man for the job here. Results just don't seem to improve like they should as the players mature and the years roll by.

Go Jackets!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I hope they all develop physically in the off season. None are all that quick or fast to be that light. I’m tired of getting pushed around on the LOS and qbs having time to eat a sandwich back there.

All of them will have to devote a lot of time and effort to get stronger and quicker if they are to silence the critics and naysayers. I wish them the best but personally concerning this unit I am from Missouri "show me".

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, this is not good.
Branch, Kyle, Adams, St. Amour ??
Would that be stout?
We got TK coming in next year he'll be a stud there at DT he might with a slight chance take over a starting time position I wouldn't be surprised if he did,we need to recruit more out of Img academy in my opinion