Have a beer with an ACC Basketball Coach rankings

slugboy

Staff member
I’m stealing this—it was B1G football coaches, but the idea is pretty good for ACC hoops coaches

1. Pastner (this seems easy)
  2. Leonard Hamilton
  3. Tony Bennett
  4. Steve Forbes
  5. Mike Brey
  6. Jim Laranaga
  7. Earl Grant
  8. Hubert Davis
  9. Chris Mack
  10. Jim Boeheim (Sorry 'Cuse--the nose-picking just bugs me)
  11. Kevin Keatts
  12. Brad Brownell
  13. Mike Young
  14. Jeff Capel
  15. Mike Krzryewski

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Your order is remarkably accurate. I'd move Hamilton down a few spots and Boeheim up below Tony Bennett.

Although a beer with K would be interesting and I'd try to get some advice from him on how to make the rat face.

/

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't have a rank because I don't have enough data or familiarity with any of them outside of Pastner, JB and Coach K. But Coach K (like Saban) intrigues me. I am fascinated by the guys who have accumulated that much wealth and success and still coach like they are at the bottom of the pecking order. What separates them from guys like Hewitt and many, many others who sniffed the mountain top but seemed (to those of us who don't know him personally) to lose focus or drive? It will be interesting to see how Uga's coach handles success going forward now that he has climbed the mountaintop.

A few years back, I hiked the Appalachian Trail from start to finish.Many of the folks I met along the way to call me up to hike this or that trail. All over the world. Or climb Mt. Kilimanjaro (sp?) in Africa was the most recent one. I turn them down. I feel like I have done it once and that is enough but these guys and gals become hooked on that type of adventure. I gave up a pretty good paying gig in the corporate world after a few years. In other words, I am not a guy who can stay interested in the same thing and I have to move on or I get bored. I could see staying until you win your first NC or make the Final Four or whatever. But doing it over and over again over a long time span takes a relentless focus that I really admire in others.

My wife is like that in ways. At our favorite restaurant I swear she has ordered the same thing in the 25 years we have eaten there. I want to try everything on the menu (and have).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tony Bennett is from Wisconsin. I bet he knows his beer and could tell some great stories. Also, a close friend's son played with Bennett at Stevens Point. I would have some great Q's for him about the son and his legend (???).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I’m stealing this—it was B1G football coaches, but the idea is pretty good for ACC hoops coaches

1. Pastner (this seems easy)
  2. Leonard Hamilton
  3. Tony Bennett
  4. Steve Forbes
  5. Mike Brey
  6. Jim Laranaga
  7. Earl Grant
  8. Hubert Davis
  9. Chris Mack
  10. Jim Boeheim (Sorry 'Cuse--the nose-picking just bugs me)
  11. Kevin Keatts
  12. Brad Brownell
  13. Mike Young
  14. Jeff Capel
  15. Mike Krzryewski

Yea, I wouldn't touch Boeheim's beer after he puts his hands on it, but I think he has to be near the top for me. Problem is he already projects exactly what he thinks to the whole world, so I might just choose someone else anyway.

Pastner doesn't drink alcohol. For that reason alone, things could get interesting.

Keatts could be good given the Pitino connection. Laranaga probably has a lot hidden, so that could be interesting.

Otherwise this isn't a great list for personalities. Steve Forbes is the dark horse candidate for me. He really grinded it out for years, starting at the community college level, and therefore probably has a number of stories to tell.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I wouldn't touch Boeheim's beer after he puts his hands on it, but I think he has to be near the top for me. Problem is he already projects exactly what he thinks to the whole world, so I might just choose someone else anyway.

Pastner doesn't drink alcohol. For that reason alone, things could get interesting.

Keatts could be good given the Pitino connection. Laranaga probably has a lot hidden, so that could be interesting.

Otherwise this isn't a great list for personalities. Steve Forbes is the dark horse candidate for me. He really grinded it out for years, starting at the community college level, and therefore probably has a number of stories to tell.
Doesn’t drink even wine at Passover?

slugboy

Staff member
From what I understand, Williams had stories for ages, but he’s no longer on the list.

I should probably move Keatts up.

Reveno and Swartz are both interesting people—even if they don’t qualify for the list as assistants.

slugboy

Staff member
One of them could be the designated drinker for Pastner.:LOL:
Swartz has had some tribulations. Maybe Reveno.

Swartz has some really interesting stories: