Has the hype been humbled?

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not everything, but it certainly isn't meaningless, especially in the trenches.
Which is why it should be done on the OL, DL and LB only and should only be done across 2 deep. Then see if we're 115. Very well could be, but as it sits - meaningless.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
My main take away on our secondary stems from the Clemson WR group. There may not be a better group in the nation. Our guys hung with them for the most part and didn’t give them many freebies. All with zero pass rush. Let me say that again....zero pass rush.

I think our secondary is a strength and will give most teams tough sledding.

Couldn’t agree more with this.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Maybe this is the wrong thread but I’m sticking it here.

The lengths we go to bash our players are amazing. A little dig here, a bit of snark over there, backhanded compliments, etc. Can’t we atleast not screw with our own players? We saw it play out in media the last decade or so. It’s as if the players are not just competing against the other team but our fans as well. People keep this crap up and CGC will never get this program where anyone wants it to be. We’ll continue to rot from the inside out.

Brings back memories of an Orange Bowl conversation. One of the mother’s opened up to me about how hard GT football had been with the near constant negative comments about her son’s play. It was hard enough to be a student athlete, then lump on that her poorly prepared son trying to hack it academically at GT, then fans peppering her son, her and kid’s father with the HS offense crap & she was glad the end was near. It hasn’t been the only conversation I had. One of our current player’s girlfriend told me her guy said “I hope people can stop hating us this season”. I’m not around the program like a lot of you guys because I live a fair distance away, nor sitting on the inside looking out & my experiences are infrequent but they all have the same essence.

Take it for what it’s worth, but one of our core program issues is we can’t even seem to like the players on the team we’re fans of.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

The lengths we go to bash our players are amazing. A little dig here, a bit of snark over there, backhanded compliments, etc. Can’t we atleast not screw with our own players? We saw it play out in media the last decade or so. It’s as if the players are not just competing against the other team but our fans as well. People keep this crap up and CGC will never get this program where anyone wants it to be. We’ll continue to rot from the inside out.

Brings back memories of an Orange Bowl conversation. One of the mother’s opened up to me about how hard GT football had been with the near constant negative comments about her son’s play. It was hard enough to be a student athlete, then lump on that her poorly prepared son trying to hack it academically at GT, then fans peppering her son, her and kid’s father with the HS offense crap & she was glad the end was near. It hasn’t been the only conversation I had. One of our current player’s girlfriend told me her guy said “I hope people can stop hating us this season”. I’m not around the program like a lot of you guys because I live a fair distance away, nor sitting on the inside looking out & my experiences are infrequent but they all have the same essence.

Take it for what it’s worth, but one of our core program issues is we can’t even seem to like the players on the team we’re fans of.

This is silly. Tech fans are no different than other fan base. I actually think it’s probably easier to be a player at Tech because there is way less interest than at other major programs.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Nope the Hype has not ben humbled.... Our season Starts 7 Sep.... And then we close the season vs the UGag team and we will see how far we have improved.... Between the two games Clemson & UGag we can win can win 10 games & make a Bowl games... If no one could tell our Defense is improved is crazy..... #NewEra #TogetherWeSwarm

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

The option is gone. Most of the irrational hate is too.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
It's silly to start a thread about this after 1 game against the defending national champs who are inarguably one of the best teams playing this year.

I think it's also silly to start pearl clutching over a tweet from a former player expeessing an opinion that isn't all that outrageous. Newsflash guys: if we don't have success on the field all the hype generating gimmicks are going to be derided, memed, and thrown in our face at every turn. And it's going to be a lot worse than that.

Bottom line for me is this. Win 6 games. Get to a bowl. It is very doable this year and in fact I see us winning 7. The USF game will tell us a lot. Get to a bowl, for this year it is the first goal.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The success of this season will be known after the Temple game. We need to be 3-1. We still have to find the QB and the personality of the O. We also need to avoid a lot of injuries to the OL and DL. USF was physically whipped at home by Wisc. Their QB wasn't sharp and Wisc stopped the run. Lots of coaching changes as well. We can win that one. I will be very disappointed if we don't.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It's silly to start a thread about this after 1 game against the defending national champs who are inarguably one of the best teams playing this year.

I think it's also silly to start pearl clutching over a tweet from a former player expeessing an opinion that isn't all that outrageous. Newsflash guys: if we don't have success on the field all the hype generating gimmicks are going to be derided, memed, and thrown in our face at every turn. And it's going to be a lot worse than that.

Wait. Its silly to start a thread like this after game 1, but it's not silly to say the same thing in a tweet?

Lolwut?

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Why would the CGC hype be humbled? We lost to the defending National Xhampions, in their house, in the next game after winning said championship, also remembering the fact they destroyed freaking ALABAMA in the title game.

This is the same team that has had how many first round draft picks over the past few years?

This is the same team that has quite possibly a QB that has the potential to not only end up as the best Clemson QB of all time, but the best COLLEGE QB EVER.

I expected to be blown out. I expected our offense to clearly struggle. We made big changes there. We completely changed how the offensive lines blocks. We have a team compromised of 2 and 3 star recruits recruited for a spread triple option offense. We have a new coaching staff. We have the 3rd defensive scheme weve used in 3 seasons.

I think its absurd to draw any conclusions about the future, short and long term, from this one game. We are in a very unique situation right now. I'd imagine its very rare to have the specific variables coming into a season GT currently has.

I think we all need to chill out, be patience, and give it some time to play out. I think it's going to take about 2 full seasons for any of us to accurately opine on the direction of the program.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Also. Start graham here out. By end of year we will look so much better. His talent and skill is there the other guys dont have. And i am not basing this on results from last night. You can just see it the way he plays. Even coach pat says he knows the playbook best too. Lets decide and go with him. Oliver can be wildcat. Lj clipboard notes guy.

This. Plus we probably lose him to transfer this offseason if we don’t give him his shot

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'd like your opinion about why this is nonsense? I feel like the numbers are pretty solidly in my camp.

Here are UF's last 6 seasons of DFEI. Collins seasons are bolded:

2013: 6
2014: 5
2015: 17
2016: 8

2017: 50
2018: 22

Here are MSU's seasons including the seasons before and after Collins, again, his are bolded
2018: 1
2017: 10
2016:91
2015: 31
2014: 16
2013: 18
2012: 44
2011: 17

2010: 16
2009: 42

Here are Temple's last 4 seasons:
2018: 42
2017: 36

2016: 35
2015: 27

I'm not trying to crap on Collins, I'm genuinely not. I'm just not seeing any statistical evidence that his defenses were particularly more or less effective than what you would expect each school to produce.

That IS elite compared to what we’re used to at DC the past 11 seasons

LibertyTurns

Banned
If no one could tell our Defense is improved is crazy..... #NewEra #TogetherWeSwarm
The majority of my basis for predicting 7 or 8 wins is we have a much better defense, offense & special teams no worse than before. It’s only 1 game but we surely appeared to have a much better defense. Very much better. That has to be worth 1 or 2 games. With better coaching, ie a top notch OL coach and a serviceable offense coordinator, etc plus these other gents hired to help, how could we not have at minimum an equally productive offense? Then we have strength and conditioning which I’m told we hired a stud. We should be bigger, faster & stronger AND have less injuries. It looks like it although maybe it’s just “weight loss” type photos. We have the hype and renewed energy, important to some to perform at a high level. Another plus. Lastly, I believe we have a scheduling advantage. We had our hardest game up front which caused us to practice hard & focus. Then we have 3 warm up games leading into 2 easily winnable ACC games, then da U which hopefully has self-destructed by then, then 4 more winnable ACC games. Then an opportunity to hopefully further ruin an already ruined season. Can’t get a much better set up than that.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Listen, as I previously stated, I am cautiously optimistic about our future with the new staff, but for all of you claiming what happened to us is exactly the same that happened to NFL Tuscaloosa & their leader, sa(t)an, is really grasping at a lack of reality. Here are the game stats. Score wise, yes, it was close to the same, but competitive wise, not so much. The 2nd number in each row is bammer. I hate bammer, but the score looked worse than the game stats.

Matchup
i
i

1st Downs 21 23
3rd down efficiency 10-15 4-13
4th down efficiency 1-1 3-6
Total Yards 482 443
Passing 347 295
Comp-Att 20-32 22-36
Yards per pass 10.8 8.2
Interceptions thrown 0 2
Rushing 135 148

In comparison, here are our game stats. Not like above, except score. 632 to 294.

Matchup
i
i

1st Downs 13 29
3rd down efficiency 5-16 6-12
4th down efficiency 0-2 1-2
Total Yards 294 632
Passing 137 221
Comp-Att 7-18 18-30
Yards per pass 7.6 7.4
Interceptions thrown 2 2
Rushing 157 411
Rushing Attempts 45 49
Yards per rush 3.5 8.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Listen, as I previously stated, I am cautiously optimistic about our future with the new staff, but for all of you claiming what happened to us is exactly the same that happened to NFL Tuscaloosa & their leader, sa(t)an is really grasping at a lack of reality. Here are the game stats. Score wise, yes, it was close to the same, but competitive wise, not so much. The 2nd number in each row is hammer. I hate hammer, but the score looked worse than the game stats.

Saying it's the exact same is wrong no doubt. The important point, as was pointed out before the game, was that Clemson was fully capable of dominating the second best team in the nation (and the game was closer than the final score but it was never in doubt). Bama could have had 9 more points if they took the FGs instead of going for it on 4th three times, but Clemson could have had another 7 if they weren't focused on running out the clock on their last drive. No, our performance wasn't the same, or all that similar to Bama's. But that game, along with several others, make it so we shouldn't view the outcome of our game with Clemson in a tremendously negative light. What happened should have been expected.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Saying it's the exact same is wrong no doubt. The important point, as was pointed out before the game, was that Clemson was fully capable of dominating the second best team in the nation (and the game was closer than the final score but it was never in doubt). Bama could have had 9 more points if they took the FGs instead of going for it on 4th three times, but Clemson could have had another 7 if they weren't focused on running out the clock on their last drive. No, our performance wasn't the same, or all that similar to Bama's. But that game, along with several others, make it so we shouldn't view the outcome of our game with Clemson in a tremendously negative light. What happened should have been expected.

We totally agree. I just did not know if others were attempting to say how we played, especially on the O side of the ball, was similar to the evil Red Army.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Listen, as I previously stated, I am cautiously optimistic about our future with the new staff, but for all of you claiming what happened to us is exactly the same that happened to NFL Tuscaloosa & their leader, sa(t)an, is really grasping at a lack of reality. Here are the game stats. Score wise, yes, it was close to the same, but competitive wise, not so much. The 2nd number in each row is bammer. I hate bammer, but the score looked worse than the game stats.

Matchup
i
i

1st Downs 21 23
3rd down efficiency 10-15 4-13
4th down efficiency 1-1 3-6
Total Yards 482 443
Passing 347 295
Comp-Att 20-32 22-36
Yards per pass 10.8 8.2
Interceptions thrown 0 2
Rushing 135 148

In comparison, here are our game stats. Not like above, except score. 632 to 294.

Matchup
i
i

1st Downs 13 29
3rd down efficiency 5-16 6-12
4th down efficiency 0-2 1-2
Total Yards 294 632
Passing 137 221
Comp-Att 7-18 18-30
Yards per pass 7.6 7.4
Interceptions thrown 2 2
Rushing 157 411
Rushing Attempts 45 49
Yards per rush 3.5 8.
Not sure who said that but interesting stats.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We totally agree. I just did not know if others were attempting to say how we played, especially on the O side of the ball, was similar to the evil Red Army.

The main poster I've seen pushing that was also the one who refused to entertain the thought of that game supporting the notion of us losing by 35+.