Has the ACC fallen to the bottom of the Power 5?

Is the ACC the worst Power 5 Conference as of right now?

• Yes

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • We are 4th out of 5

Votes: 42 29.8%

• Total voters

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think you missed the most pertinent information. Until last Friday, the other 3 P5 conferences, that some have claimed as better than the ACC, had been oh for five in the biggest wins column.

No. I am a firm believer the ACC is the 2nd or third best P5 conference, and I generally agree with a lot of the facts being presented by all here. I was just amused at the quote: "The other 3 P5 conferences just had their 1st CFP win in the last 5 years."

I mean, I just find it funny that not winning a CFP game in year one suddenly makes one a lesser conference.

You'd think this thread was an orchard with all the cherry picking from both sides to "prove" their points....

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
No. I am a firm believer the ACC is the 2nd or third best P5 conference, and I generally agree with a lot of the facts being presented by all here. I was just amused at the quote: "The other 3 P5 conferences just had their 1st CFP win in the last 5 years."

I mean, I just find it funny that not winning a CFP game in year one suddenly makes one a lesser conference.

You'd think this thread was an orchard with all the cherry picking from both sides to "prove" their points....
We haven't had 10 years yet.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No, it doesn't.

Yes. It does. Your quote was: "The other 3 P5 conferences just had their 1st CFP win in the last 5 years."

Since the playoffs have only been around for six years, that stat you quoted is meaningless. Arguing that we haven't had 10 years only reinforces the meaningless of only winning a CFP game in "the last 5 years."

In the end, this whole thread is filled with meaningless stats, but that particular one is probably the biggest cherry that's been picked yet.

FWIW, I believe the ACC is a good conference, and other than the B1G, probably the most complete conference when considering both football and basketball.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes. It does. Your quote was: "The other 3 P5 conferences just had their 1st CFP win in the last 5 years."

Since the playoffs have only been around for six years, that stat you quoted is meaningless. Arguing that we haven't had 10 years only reinforces the meaningless of only winning a CFP game in "the last 5 years."

In the end, this whole thread is filled with meaningless stats, but that particular one is probably the biggest cherry that's been picked yet.

FWIW, I believe the ACC is a good conference, and other than the B1G, probably the most complete conference when considering both football and basketball.
No, it means that people tend to look back 5 years and not 6. In a few more years people may look back 10 years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No, it means that people tend to look back 5 years and not 6. In a few more years people may look back 10 years.

But the implication in the sentence is that winning their first CFP game in the last 5 years means that there was a prolonged time without a CFP win. As the CFP is only 6 years old, it's a misleading stat. If the CFP was 8-9 yrs old, I could see the justification of only quoting the last 5 years, as it stands, the last 5 years are 83% of the CFP era.

Conversely, you could also argue that ALL P5 conferences won CFP games within the first 5 years. It's a stat that means very little...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
But the implication in the sentence is that winning their first CFP game in the last 5 years means that there was a prolonged time without a CFP win. As the CFP is only 6 years old, it's a misleading stat. If the CFP was 8-9 yrs old, I could see the justification of only quoting the last 5 years, as it stands, the last 5 years are 83% of the CFP era.

Conversely, you could also argue that ALL P5 conferences won CFP games within the first 5 years. It's a stat that means very little...
Gotta say, that I agree with @augustabuzz on this one. Saying last 5 years means exactly that. In the last 5 years, no one from the other three P5 conferences has won a playoff game. That's a pretty telling statement and implies nothing further.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not as long as the Big 12, Pac 12 and this year the Big 10 are around. God, we have an inferiority complex.
Anyone who doesn't think the pac12 is the worst conference in cfb, probably isn't paying attention to the rest of the nation.

Their commissioner takes a lot of the blame, but they've had the biggest drop in 5 year attendance (~13% compared to the ACCs ~3% 2013-2018). No national champion since 2004 (which was vacated). Only one entry to the playoffs since 2015. Plus a really bad tv network and deal.

They're easily the most irrelevant conference in the p5.

Deleted member 2897

Anyone who doesn't think the pac12 is the worst conference in cfb, probably isn't paying attention to the rest of the nation.

Their commissioner takes a lot of the blame, but they've had the biggest drop in 5 year attendance (~13% compared to the ACCs ~3% 2013-2018). No national champion since 2004 (which was vacated). Only one entry to the playoffs since 2015. Plus a really bad tv network and deal.

Oregon was Pac12 champion this year at 4-3 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

While you're laughing at the Pac-12, isn't their TV Deal (despite all the criticism)- paying out the same as the ACC's TV Deal, TBH, I'm not sure any Conf. can be laughed at when you look at the lack of success of our own ACCN

USC (the real one), U-Dub, Oregon, Utah, Stanford can all elevate themselves into the Top-10 maybe Top-15 discussion with USC & Oregon having the ability to make a run at the CFP with the right HC, that's more than you can say for 13 out of 14 members of our Conf

I think it's comical for us to criticize any other entity in CFB when we have trouble with the basics like taking CFB seriously from the Administration down to the Alums

Let's focus on us first rather than worrying about what the other guy is not doing

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
USC (the real one), U-Dub, Oregon, Utah, Stanford can all elevate themselves into the Top-10 maybe Top-15 discussion with USC & Oregon having the ability to make a run at the CFP with the right HC, that's more than you can say for 13 out of 14 members of our Conf

Assuming you mean Clemson as team 14, you would be wrong about several others. FSU, Miami, VT, and UNC can all elevate themselves into the top 10-15 and with the right coaches, FSU, Miami and even UNC can make a solid run at the CFP. Given another Frank Beamer, even VT could make that run.

But are you saying that GT can't? If so, what are we paying our coach for? If our conference is the hot garbage you are insinuating then CGC should win 7-8 games next year minimum.