Has the ACC fallen to the bottom of the Power 5?

Is the ACC the worst Power 5 Conference as of right now?

• Yes

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • We are 4th out of 5

Votes: 42 29.8%

• Total voters

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
We're 4th; ahead of PAC-whatever . Same position we have been for quite a few years. Nothing had changed

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The ACC has been the worst Power 5 conference for years. I provided data to support this argument before the season started and it still holds true. Clemson is still an elite program and would compete for championships in any conference, but top-to-bottom the ACC is consistently the worst. If Clemson hadn’t turned into the powerhouse it has after FSU’s downfall it wouldn’t even be an argument.

Just look at past recruiting rankings and it’s easy to see why. In 2019 Clemson finished 9th with 28 commits. The next ACC team was Florida State at #17. Inside the top 17 there were 7 SEC teams, 3 B1G teams, 2 Big 12 teams, 2 PAC-12 teams and USC was one spot behind FSU at #18. Miami and UNC look like they could turn in contenders, but the middle and bottom of the ACC is extremely weak.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you're being pretty tough on the home team, as it were.

Clemson is really good. I think a couple of DQ's and a playcaller being lost to COVID mattered yesterday. ND is good, but ran into a buzzsaw. UNC was 2 dropped passes away from beating A&M.

My sense is that Clemson is still top 4. ND is top 10, and UNC is top 10-15. Nothing I'm gonna lose sleep over if I wear an ACC patch on my sleeve.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The ACC has been the worst Power 5 conference for years. I provided data to support this argument before the season started and it still holds true. Clemson is still an elite program and would compete for championships in any conference, but top-to-bottom the ACC is consistently the worst. If Clemson hadn’t turned into the powerhouse it has after FSU’s downfall it wouldn’t even be an argument.

Just look at past recruiting rankings and it’s easy to see why. In 2019 Clemson finished 9th with 28 commits. The next ACC team was Florida State at #17. Inside the top 17 there were 7 SEC teams, 3 B1G teams, 2 Big 12 teams, 2 PAC-12 teams and USC was one spot behind FSU at #18. Miami and UNC look like they could turn in contenders, but the middle and bottom of the ACC is extremely weak.
Whose recruiting rankings are you using there?

Deleted member 2897

Will finish 0-6 this Bowl Season.
Our 2 best teams both blown out.

Last week, no conference had more ranked teams than the ACC.

No conference is even remotely close to the number of 6+ win teams we had this year.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
No, we are a solid 3, sometimes even a number 2. I know you are a typical ACC fan, but don't let this crap-tastic year cloud your judgement. Clemson despite this year is dominant, and the only school that can even compare with Alabama.

There have always been other "good" schools, but the problem and I think why your perception is so poor of our conference, is that they change almost yearly.

Miami can go from being an 9 to 10 win school to a dumpster fire the next year. Same with GT, we can win an orange bowl one year and go 3-8 they next.

The main perception problem of the ACC is that we don't have anybody close to Clemson. We really need a Miami, FSU, or somebody else to have a sustained level of excellence.

That is why I liked having ND in our conference this year. It wasn't just Clemson, even though they both were destroyed. The ACC got 2 bids, were was the big 12? Where has the Pac 12 ever been?

We are fine, put the self deprecation blow-torch down.

Deleted member 2897

No you didn’t. It’s still false.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, the ACC was able to play most of their regular season games while two Power 5 conferences were very serious about cancelling their seasons. I think the ACC, SEC and Big 12 showed the other two conferences that football could be played. Much credit to the ACC.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Help me understand (or am I reading into some of this?)... why is there any allegiance to the "conference" ...any conference. I could not care less how good the ACC is compared to other conferences. ...and yes, I have friends who do a decent job of trolling me on this and reeling me into these debates... mainly because it irritates me they are "SEC fans" :)

I care that the conference (ACC) be 'healthy' enough to reap benefits of any collective finances that may come to Ga Tech; but that does not manifest itself into my "pulling for the ACC" ... as a fan. There is only ONE ACC team I pull to win every week. There are many I want to lose all the time (VT, UNC, Miami... to name a few). There are quite a few other teams across conferences I want to win most weeks... Tennessee (Dodd's alma mater), Vanderbilt (Nashville is cool), A&M (the Corps and Gig em), PSU (married to a Nittany Lion), any team Mike Leach coaches (he makes me laugh) and others for equally bizarre reasons/rationale. That's how I "fan"... I like it that way.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No, we are a solid 3, sometimes even a number 2. I know you are a typical ACC fan, but don't let this crap-tastic year cloud your judgement. Clemson despite this year is dominant, and the only school that can even compare with Alabama.

There have always been other "good" schools, but the problem and I think why your perception is so poor of our conference, is that they change almost yearly.

Miami can go from being an 9 to 10 win school to a dumpster fire the next year. Same with GT, we can win an orange bowl one year and go 3-8 they next.

The main perception problem of the ACC is that we don't have anybody close to Clemson. We really need a Miami, FSU, or somebody else to have a sustained level of excellence.

That is why I liked having ND in our conference this year. It wasn't just Clemson, even though they both were destroyed. The ACC got 2 bids, were was the big 12? Where has the Pac 12 ever been?

We are fine, put the self deprecation blow-torch down.
If you want some laughs check out a couple of the Clemson message boards. Demands range from putting the OC in charge of the defense, or firing Venables, or giving Swinney one more year to fix this or else ...

GT_EE78

Banned
Will finish 0-6 this Bowl Season.
Our 2 best teams both blown out.
Yes, ACC is at the bottom overall or by average team.
Things would be worse if ND and Clem hadn't pulled the average ratings up.
avg ACC team loses to SEC-W by 10 and PAC-12 by 6 per sagarin ratings
1 SEC-WEST (A) = 81.49
2 BIG 12 (A) = 79.14
3 PAC-12-S (A) = 78.57
4 BIG TEN-W (A) = 78.26
5 BIG TEN-E (A) = 77.47
6 PAC-12-N (A) = 77.40
7 SEC-EAST (A) = 74.27
8 ACC-COA (A) = 72.14
9 ACC-ATL (A) = 71.80

Deleted member 2897

Yes, ACC is at the bottom overall or by average team.
Things would be worse if ND and Clem hadn't pulled the average ratings up.
avg ACC team loses to SEC-W by 10 and PAC-12 by 6 per sagarin ratings
1 SEC-WEST (A) = 81.49
2 BIG 12 (A) = 79.14
3 PAC-12-S (A) = 78.57
4 BIG TEN-W (A) = 78.26
5 BIG TEN-E (A) = 77.47
6 PAC-12-N (A) = 77.40
7 SEC-EAST (A) = 74.27
8 ACC-COA (A) = 72.14
9 ACC-ATL (A) = 71.80

Yet somehow we had more ranked teams than any other conference and more winning teams. 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 2897

If you want some laughs check out a couple of the Clemson message boards. Demands range from putting the OC in charge of the defense, or firing Venables, or giving Swinney one more year to fix this or else ...

Brent Venables isn’t as good when he can’t steal the other teams play calls apparently.