Has GT really been trying?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
With the recent “news” (posts on message boards of quotes that are supposedly from people in the know) that GT hasn’t asked the BoR to expand, and that GT’s lack of response led to Uga getting their engineering school, it reminded me of something:

A close friend heard our AD tell a local alumni group that CPJ never really asked for much in the way of resources. That CPJ was old school and didn’t really think all that stuff mattered that much, and that he would win anyway.

Now, maybe CPJ ended up coming around and changing on that somewhat, but that was the word straight out of the AD’s mouth.

So, with those two things together (the school having no desire to expand their offerings and CPJ not really pushing for additional resources), has GT really even been trying?

If both of the above are accurate, then it gives some hope that, if GT will just stop getting in its own way, we can really do some things.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hmmmm. Not saying this is fake news but I do recall numerous times over the years the media reporting CPJ talking about resources and commenting on not having the recruiting staff and budget compared to other ACC teams let alone the SEC. I just cannot imagine that if they offered more resources he would turn them down. so it either was fake news then or it is fake news now. I do hope one day we can find out because it was quite evident CPJ was so much happier when TStan came in

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
With the recent “news” (posts on message boards of quotes that are supposedly from people in the know) that GT hasn’t asked the BoR to expand, and that GT’s lack of response led to Uga getting their engineering school, it reminded me of something:

A close friend heard our AD tell a local alumni group that CPJ never really asked for much in the way of resources. That CPJ was old school and didn’t really think all that stuff mattered that much, and that he would win anyway.

Now, maybe CPJ ended up coming around and changing on that somewhat, but that was the word straight out of the AD’s mouth.

So, with those two things together (the school having no desire to expand their offerings and CPJ not really pushing for additional resources), has GT really even been trying?

If both of the above are accurate, then it gives some hope that, if GT will just stop getting in its own way, we can really do some things.
There are public quotes in the AJC and other media sources that directly contradict what you're friend told you.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
There are public quotes in the AJC and other media sources that directly contradict what you're friend told you.

The person that told me this has more integrity in his pinkie than most people I know.

Now, maybe CPJ started out this way, and then changed over time, because, yes, as you say, there were reports about him asking for things more recently.

Either way, the point remains that GT has been getting in its own way. There are things GT can do to put us in a stronger position.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The person that told me this has more integrity in his pinkie than most people I know.

Now, maybe CPJ started out this way, and then changed over time, because, yes, as you say, there were reports about him asking for things more recently.

Either way, the point remains that GT has been getting in its own way. There are things GT can do to put us in a stronger position.
To which AD are you referring? Here is CPJ in 2016 opining on the need for Tech to commit more to the success of the football program. Those statements were an echo of CPJ's statements at the 2014 ACC preseason media days.

Keep in mind that your friend is not privy to conversations within the athletic department. As you've delineated, your friend is relaying a statement that he/she heard from only one source within the athletic department. Moreover, you are posting statements on an anonymous internet message board that are easily refuted by CPJ's public comments. Endorsements of integrity hold little weight within the realm of anonymity.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I can tell u from experience that T Spencer said that Gt had to win the recruiting battle in ga before they would be interested in recruiting Texas. He said we had limited resources and we doing good. He was kind enough to get me good seats at the first orange bowl - ( I introduced him to recruit on sons hs team - who went to Purdue) right by Coach's family. We stayed in touch and when in Shreveport , TS got me a load of tickets for Texas h s coaches. Shortly after this he was gone for some sort of texting violation-

From what I could tell they were working on a minimal budget. With the early success imo they underestimated the true requirements.

Also it was really obvious in 15 that coach started mentioning facilities and structural limitations of various schools. I think he was talking about Syracuse being upset about their coach- but should be upset with structure issuses. ( Dino B was hired in 16. He had been the WR coach under Brilles at Baylor's air raid 08-11/12).

For last few years I have been doing what I can to support gt at my old high school - pensacola high. Andy has shared they are focusing to recruit at schools w academic rigor so they have to be careful who they offer. He had wanted to offer OL recruit = Radford with the OT we offered. But could n ok t get sewak to agree. He was pretty irritated he couldn't offer ( Radford went on to clemson.

This year coach was nothing that Duke had guys on team from outside the south.

We really need to raise recruiting to a higher priority - AD and Head coach AND IMO W ALUMNI to get the hill interested

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have no clue what CPJ asked for, BUT I do know that around 5 years or so ago when social media was just starting to take off, CPJ pooped all over social media use. He just didn't understand the power of what it could do for recruiting and what it could do for the program. All the while, his competition was out there using it to their advantage.

Social media is a free tool. CPJ thought it was silly and didn't use it. Sometimes you just wonder...

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I have no doubt CPJ pushed for more money, facilities or resources. He just handled it with class and did not run his mouth off in public in an overly dramatic way.

I am equally confident that our other leaders have not gone to the BoR with request to expand areas of study. It begins with us, not with the BoR. We have just had gutless leaders on the hill.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Fake news. CPJ grumbled about resources in friggin press conferences. Where most coaches would never dare gripe in public.

Fake news.