Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
There’s a lot here to unpack, but let’s just start by saying that no one’s rooting against Collins. People are simply guessing what’s coming in the future. I was not optimistic when he was hired, and the results have done little to change my mind. I genuinely hope I’m wrong.

The folks who truly believe in Collins should expect that we will produce top 25 teams annually. Collins himself has set that expectation. Anything less than that is failure, and it raises questions about why we would endure a potential 1-11 season with a home loss to a 1-AA school to get back where we were, except without the two excellent and two other above average seasons we had in the past ten.

Not sure what you read into my question for SS and Animal, but I have grave concerns about CGC's coaching acumen and have had since the hire. But, I am still rooting for GT and CGC to do things that I never believed were possible. But, I have to say after the Citadel, doubt greatly overcomes any hope right now.

My question was really trying to understand what drives the CGC fans - is it more about him being the opposite of CPJ or about really believing that he can have greater success than CPJ?

Last edited:

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what you read into my question for SS and Animal, but I have grave concerns about CGC's coaching acumen and have had since the hire. But, I am still rooting for GT and CGC to do things that I never believed were possible. But, I have to say after the Citadel, doubt greatly overcomes any hope right now.

My question was really trying to understand what drives the CGC fans - is it more about him being the opposite of CPJ or about really believing that he can have greater success than CPJ?
Gotcha. I think we’re in the same boat then.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
1. I think the program was trending toward irrelevance under CPJ. Wins were declining, recruiting was becoming even worse, recruits were being made fun of for even visiting GT, the powers that be were out to “legislate” the 3O and its dive blocking out of existence.

2. I believe that, in the middle of the hottest recruiting area in the world, GT can become a Top 25 team, if we offer recruits a product they are interested in.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Same here. I am not rooting against Collins either....but I am laughing a lot at those that bought the hype.
I don’t really laugh at them. I think it’s silly hope and change stuff, but whatever. Mostly, I’m just bummed the f—- out. I look forward to the season all year, and this crap is what we get? I mean, we are terrible. Like probably the worst P-5 team, and Rutgers and Kansas and Oregon State play at this level. We’re one fluke fumble from being 0-6, and contrary to what some believe, recruiting isn’t going great. It’s all just so disappointing.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I think CGC can succeed IF he survives the transition. There’s no question he’s botching the transition. Offensively, our staff had no idea what to even try the first month. We’re finally scoring a little, but we’re still not very competitive. A more experienced HC could have made the transition easier, IMO. Maybe not gotten more wins, but kept us more competitive and kept the program from feeling/looking like a dumpster fire.

When I say survive the transition, I’m not strictly talking about patience from fans and the program(though that’s part of it). I believe it is possible to improve through the transition or make it worse. For example, I think he’s a good recruiter, but if he is 2-22 with all 22 losses being at least two score games, it’s going to get harder to recruit. He’s got to find a way to keep us more competitive and win a few games. I think two, maybe even three, losing seasons will be accepted, but it depends on how we’re losing and how much. If he only has three wins through three years, I think he’d have dug himself too big of a hole.

However, say we continue to improve and maybe steal a game and have a few close games this year and then win three or four games next year and play much more competitively throughout the season. I think he could build off that and probably be fine.

He has to find a way to get through the transitional phase without, I’ll put it bluntly, looking as horrible as we do now for multiple seasons. If he can avoid that, I do think he can recruit and build a solid program. If he can’t do that, I don’t think he’ll last.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Former players were embarrassed by the TO. Most of them have admitted it. Apparently going 1-11 isn’t embarrassing, though.
I have heard the same thing about a former player. The feeling that I got from the friend of his was that he was not alone of hating the O.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t really laugh at them. I think it’s silly hope and change stuff, but whatever. Mostly, I’m just bummed the f—- out. I look forward to the season all year, and this crap is what we get? I mean, we are terrible. Like probably the worst P-5 team, and Rutgers and Kansas and Oregon State play at this level. We’re one fluke fumble from being 0-6, and contrary to what some believe, recruiting isn’t going great. It’s all just so disappointing.

I remain hopeful that Coach Collins and the players can right the ship this year but I happened to look at one of the Miami sites. The line is Miami by 20 or something ridiculous. Their utter contempt for our players, our coaches, and even our fans is disturbing. They don't think the Canes are necessarily a great team but at least they aren't like "those people" meaning Georgia Tech of course. We did beat that team last year didn't we? Some of them were saying that we are the worst offense they will face all year and the worst power 5 team in the country except for Rutgers, and a couple of others. To read about our team being held in such disdain is not pleasant reading t o be sure.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m honestly not trying to be difficult, but why does anyone believe he can recruit? What is the basis for this belief?

I don't know but the recruits and the high school coaches think highly of him and he does have all the earmarks of someone who can relate to players with the gimmickry, the hand signs, the 404 culture etc. He has that persona that has players eating out of his hand. I have no doubt he will be successful as a recruiter. The question is whether he can do anything with it.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I don't know but the recruits and the high school coaches think highly of him and he does have all the earmarks of someone who can relate to players with the gimmickry, the hand signs, the 404 culture etc. He has that persona that has players eating out of his hand. I have no doubt he will be successful as a recruiter. The question is whether he can do anything with it.
I hope so, but I’d sure like to see the proof before I reached the conclusion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Every once in a while we jokingly say "GT can't have nice things."

Sometimes I wonder if our fans even deserve to have anything at all. The irony in all of this is the few loudmouths constantly crapping on our coaches don't even go to a majority of the games. We all know who they are. Those few posters weren't going to be happy with anyone unless they came from CPJ's tree.

I'm not happy with the way the season has turned out so far, and I expected us to do much better than we have, but what good is it going to do anyone to repeat the same negative crap in every thread? I guess it makes those few posters happier than their miserable lives and they want to drag us all down with them. Misery loves company I guess.

Anyhow, I'm going to continue to root for our players, and I'm going to continue to root for GT. If God be for GT, who can be against GT?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

For one I don’t consider myself a fan of any coach. I do however believe in giving anybody a fair shake. He may be great or may be a bust but there is nothing we’ve seen this year that has given us an indicator on how successful he will be. This is a huge transition.

Animal02

Banned
Every once in a while we jokingly say "GT can't have nice things."

Sometimes I wonder if our fans even deserve to have anything at all. The irony in all of this is the few loudmouths constantly crapping on our coaches don't even go to a majority of the games. We all know who they are. Those few posters weren't going to be happy with anyone unless they came from CPJ's tree.

I'm not happy with the way the season has turned out so far, and I expected us to do much better than we have, but what good is it going to do anyone to repeat the same negative crap in every thread? I guess it makes those few posters happier than their miserable lives and they want to drag us all down with them. Misery loves company I guess.

Anyhow, I'm going to continue to root for our players, and I'm going to continue to root for GT. If God be for GT, who can be against GT?
The same negative crap....like XPJ left the cupboard bare....that CPJ could not recruit. Like the the 3O was a high school offensive? Need I go on? It is comically hypocritical to complain about the negative comments after the 11 years of crap that was thrown out

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I took your post as sarcasm because CGC took over a team that was 5-3 in the ACC (2nd in the Coastal), a team that played in a bowl game. That's nothing like the team CBR inherited.

Now, if your point is that a coach can go from a win-less conference record to a National Championship, I agree with you. However, the record of the previous coach is meaningless to that, so why did you bring it up?
Because so many seem hung up on this fact today...that we had enough talent to go 6-6 and make (and lose handily) a bowl game last year, so why aren't we more competitive this year? In fact, I remember vividly being pushed around badly on the line of scrimmage by Minnesota in the bowl game last year.....that was a harbinger of things to come. I disagree that Ross inherited a much worse situation. He inherited a team that had almost an identical record to the one that Collins inherited.

My point is that just because the previous coach had a decent record the year before does NOT mean you should expect the same record with a new coaching staff...even one that could win a national championship.

I'm not sure why my point is so hard to see, tbh.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The same negative crap....like XPJ left the cupboard bare....that CPJ could not recruit. Like the the 3O was a high school offensive? Need I go on? It is comically hypocritical to complain about the negative comments after the 11 years of crap that was thrown out

Speak of the devil and his straw man arguments...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Ross turned Maryland --- MARYLAND --- into ACC champs and was voted coach of the year in the ACC before he came to the Flats. He had a good track record wherever he went, and even made it to the Super Bowl after leaving Tech. He left Maryland in the wake of the Len Bias tragedy and some other problems plaguing Maryland athletics, saying that Tech had a history of winning championships and thought he could win one there as well. Before coming to Maryland, he also had head coaching experience at them Citadel. Coach Collins doesn't have nearly as much head coaching experience as Coach Ross did when he came to Tech. Coach Ross and Coach Friedgen would be two people I'd be quick to become acquainted with personally if I were in Coach Collins's shoes! Both love Tech, especially Coach F., and would probably be happy to offer him friendly ongoing advice.
I agree. As I said in my original post, there are clear difference sin the comparisons, but there are also clear differences when trying to compare Collins to Lewis.

I don't disagree about trying to connect with Coach Ralph and Boss Ross. Couldn't hurt one little bit. I am certainly not saying Collins is the second coming of Coach Ross either, I am just pointing out that 6 games worth of data is not enough to evaluate a coaching staff fairly. If the same criteria had been used with Ross, he might have been run out of town after 2 years...