Has CPJ, while at GT

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
called a quick kick?

Seems like we would have at some point.

I sense one coming up against ugag, especially if weather is bad.

Feels like it's something fundamentally CPJ is against. Why give up on 3rd down, even if it's 3rd and 26?

And, with Mr. Harvin back there punting, I really don't think CPJ would quick kick. Not only does Harvin have a big leg he's got an accurate, big leg.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why do a quick kick exactly? Especially with subpar defense and todays quick strike game.

Seems some left over dodd infatuation with this that i cant for the life of me understand. Can someone explain the logic behind giving away a down when you have another to punt and basically do the same thing especially since its legal to punt the ball out of bounds thereby eliminating any chance for a return should you want to avoid it?

I have seen this idea on these boards for years. I still cant figure out the logic unless a coach really feels as though his punt team is going to get a punt blocked and there is like 40 seconds left in the game, we have the lead and this somehow makes the punt less risky. Maybe then i get it. But even then if u quick kick on 3rd down, u dont force the opposition to use a timeout. You hand them the ball with an extra timeout now. If the team doesnt have time outs then you snap and take a knee

Again. I cant figure out any logic to it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Punting itself is questionable in many circumstances. There's been statistical analysis done on this (somewhere and I'm not going to try to find it) and it finds that, unless you are deep in your own territory, you are probably better off going for a first on 4th down. Coach is one of the few head coaches out there–Rick Leach is another–who appears to be paying attention to this. There are, of course, a ton of caveats; Tech going for it on 4th at our 40 against Clemson or in a driving rain storm or <your favorite catastrophe here>, doesn't make as much sense. In general, however, going for it on 4th and 10 or less makes good sense.

This has come back to bite us more often than I'd like, largely because we have had a place kicking problem recently. This appears to be abating.

slugboy

Staff member
Punting itself is questionable in many circumstances. There's been statistical analysis done on this (somewhere and I'm not going to try to find it) and it finds that, unless you are deep in your own territory, you are probably better off going for a first on 4th down. Coach is one of the few head coaches out there–Rick Leach is another–who appears to be paying attention to this. There are, of course, a ton of caveats; Tech going for it on 4th at our 40 against Clemson or in a driving rain storm or <your favorite catastrophe here>, doesn't make as much sense. In general, however, going for it on 4th and 10 or less makes good sense.

This has come back to bite us more often than I'd like, largely because we have had a place kicking problem recently. This appears to be abating.

Try the New York Times. They have a Twitter “4th down bot” (or had one) that tweeted when to go for it. There have been a few “punt” situations where teams have gone for it (like us, first half, from our ~30), but more often it’s teams punting from the opponent’s 38 on 4th and 2 in the 4th down one score. Then they kick into the end zone for a net 18 yard yardage change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Try the New York Times. They have a Twitter “4th down bot” (or had one) that tweeted when to go for it. There have been a few “punt” situations where teams have gone for it (like us, first half, from our ~30), but more often it’s teams punting from the opponent’s 38 on 4th and 2 in the 4th down one score. Then they kick into the end zone for a net 18 yard yardage change.
And they give up possible points when they do. Sorry, but I think punting, except while deep in your own territory, makes little sense these days, even if you have a really good D. But, hey, I know what I'm up against here:

Sometimes you can't fight it.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Your sense failed you in this case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You ain’t kidding there, brother! :)

Sadly, sitting here after eating tonight and looking at the roster, whatever kind of or lack of sense I have left tells me next year has a better chance of being worse than this year. Hopefully I can be wrong again!

imo - CPJ , sewak, the whole gang will not change a thing for the better. They will not recruit better. We will not coach any players “up” better. The pressers after games will exactly reflect the same blame on D and the same missed assignments on O as we have had.

CPJ is now set to do whatever he likes. There is no sense of urgency to play better, recruit better, hold Sewak accountable, adjust what we do on the field, make sure our players are stronger, to be prepared as TML, set higher goals. Anything.

CPJ is set. Year 12. Multimillionaire for appx 50% success. No goals that are more demanding.

Untouchable. More important than the school or program.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Sadly, sitting here after eating tonight and looking at the roster, whatever kind of or lack of sense I have left tells me next year has a better chance of being worse than this year. Hopefully I can be wrong again!

imo - CPJ , sewak, the whole gang will not change a thing for the better. They will not recruit better. We will not coach any players “up” better. The pressers after games will exactly reflect the same blame on D and the same missed assignments on O as we have had.

CPJ is now set to do whatever he likes. There is no sense of urgency to play better, recruit better, hold Sewak accountable, adjust what we do on the field, make sure our players are stronger, to be prepared as TML, set higher goals. Anything.

CPJ is set. Year 12. Multimillionaire for appx 50% success. No goals that are more demanding.

But at least it never occurred to CPJ to even wonder about a quick kick when we've had a subpar defense.

So, it's not like he's a complete idiot when it comes to football.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dodd liked to quick kick to gain field position. Those were the days of low scoring and holding wasn't allowed like today.

for all the flak I read about how no one wants to coach here, we are actually one of the least-stressful destinations in all of NCAA football. Our fanbase is one of the least rabid and least-demanding in football and coaches really don't have to do much to get extensions. We play in an easy conference where 7 wins should be a given and the fanbase is generally happy with lower-tier'd bowls and now fully expects annual, big losses to our arch rival. Though toughter than most places to recruit to, the state of GA is loaded with talent and we're located in a world-class metropolitan area in a P5 conference.

Gailey lasted a few years longer here than he would've elsewhere and CPJ could literally have losing seasons for 5 straight years and people would still vigorously defend giving him an extension.

There's no pressure whatsoever and the job pays very well, to boot. Plus, there's lots of nice golf courses and you can play year-round.