Harrell Transferring to Florida

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
This works both ways. Has UF confirmed he got in and will be playing? I haven't seen that, so all we have to confirm is a tweet by the player. It's just as possible he was suspended, then decided he will apply to UF and made a tweet stating he's already in. I think it's best to wait and see before we blame anyone.

It just seems unnecessarily awkward for both parties...it is being handled badly on both ends ...Hard for me not to question CPJ...thoughtful, smooth, poised and assured certainly is not the tone...defensive, reactionary and bitter is not an attractive cultural trait that promotes the program...

Declinometer

Banned
What's the end game to publicize that he was suspended if we knew he was transferring? We all talk about GT is class personified. This should've been Ant is leaving the team or transferring in AJC imo.
What's wrong with telling it like it is? Why sugar coat his suspension? Just so that feelings don't get hurt?

Declinometer

Banned
He's transferring.
A retraction and apology is owed. I like Anthony I wish he'd stayed but good luck to him at Florida.
One of our DE's could move there Whitfield or Simmons ?? *shrug*
Like Ferguson, let's wait until the facts come out, OK.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This works both ways. Has UF confirmed he got in and will be playing? I haven't seen that, so all we have to confirm is a tweet by the player. It's just as possible he was suspended, then decided he will apply to UF and made a tweet stating he's already in. I think it's best to wait and see before we blame anyone.

That's why I said, "So, if Harrell ..."

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Official GT Twitter announced suspension not AJC. I think @Ibeeballin was questioning why they would do that if a graduating Senior was going elsewhere for grad school/last year.

The AJC confirmed that the suspension occurred today. Since a person can't apply to and get accepted by a graduate school in a day, going to UF cannot have been in response to the suspension (assuming he ends up there).

So, if Harrell does end up at UF next year, then it seems that he applied and waited till he knew he was accepted before going public, and probably even telling the coaches.

The suspension then seems a response to his move and seems, to me, petty, given the circumstances if understood correctly. It may have been procedural, but it sounds like, "You can't quit; you're fired!"

AE, you can't transfer or apply to UF without the coaches knowing. Its impossible. Even if he didn't tell the coaches, or wasn't up front about that option, the second UF or he has for transcripts the academic staff would let PJ know. Believe me, Paul knew. Now could he have done it in a way to not be up front and that is why paul said fine you are suspended? Maybe, but jeez unlikely to me...cuz it would have been confronted weeks ago. You can't apply and get in, in 5 days.

this whole thing is dumb, bizarre and to a degree not a big deal.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
What if--
--a 5th year player who had graduated knew he was going to transfer. And, the coaches knew he was going to transfer. But, the transfer process wasn't finished yet. So, technically the player hadn't left the team. The player had not chosen to go ahead and "leave" the team yet, as so many will do once they make their decision. But, the player also had done something--willingly or accidentally-- that violated team rules during this time of limbo.

Then what if-- as with any other player on the roster--that player had to be suspended? What if no one is trying to do anyone wrong? What if no one is trying to be tacky or vindictive as the player is just about to go out the door. But, policies and rules apply to all as long as they choose to still be listed as on the team.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What if--
--a 5th year player who had graduated knew he was going to transfer. And, the coaches knew he was going to transfer. But, the transfer process wasn't finished yet. So, technically the player hadn't left the team. The player had not chose to "leave" the team yet. But, the player also had done something--willingly or accidentally-- that violated team rules.

Then what if-- as with any other player on the roster--that player had to be suspended? What if no one is trying to do anyone wrong? What if no one is trying to be tacky or vindictive as the player is just about to go out the door. But, policies and rules apply to all as long as they choose to still be listed as on the team.
Wild Kratts?

Kidding aside, this is what I suspect went down and now coming from you, I believe it even more.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Having learned the actual facts about the situation, I can tell you that the suspension led to to the transfer. CPJ does not throw around "indefinitely" often, if ever, so that tells you the seriousness of the infraction. The staff would never suspend someone for wanting to transfer.

Harrell is well within his rights to transfer, and if I were in his shoes, I'd do the same thing. The prospect of stepping into a situation where he might get more playing time on a big stage makes a lot of sense, plus he's a legacy at UF. It's a no-brainer for UF to take him given their depth.

Had this been Harrell's intention all along, the timing would be very different. This would have gone down at the end of spring semester (similar to Skov, Golson, etc). Even if he was just waiting on paperwork, he would not have been here participating in camps and offseason workouts. To even apply (and still continue to play football), he'd need his release from GT. If that had happened in May, I highly doubt they'd still feature him in a Father's Day tweet last weekend.

sweeper

Georgia Tech Fan
Hard to not lose sight of the big picture. Here is a player that contributed on the football field, overcame an injury in the process, and most importantly graduated with a degree from Tech in 4 yrs. That's why you go to school. To get an education. Congratulations Anthony! If he can go to UF for post-grad degree, that's awesome for him.

It's the other stuff we focus on and find frustrating. I think we all hoped he would contribute big time this year with Nealy gone and with his flashes of play in the past. Our D is still thin and experience matters. Now with his leaving, the story is muddled, and we all want the details.

Bottom line, CPJ is upfront and consistent. You break rules, you get suspended, whether you're a 5th yr player or a freshman. We don't know the details and frankly I don't care. I'll miss him, was looking forward to him playing. Good luck at UF. Study hard. Don't break any rules!

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Beau Hankins is in line to replace. He had a good spring and seems just as solid. Obviously losing Harrell hurts with depth but hes definitely replaceable.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Good luck to him, but we will be ok. If I remember correctly, Beau Hankins played a helluva game against the mutts. We will be fine. Together We Swarm!

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Beau Hankins is in line to replace. He had a good spring and seems just as solid. Obviously losing Harrell hurts with depth but hes definitely replaceable.

Finally, the only thing that interests me. Four pages of speculation on what happened. It's a given that he is gone. I want to know what do we do now?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I do think it's a bigger blow than most on here are indicating. I think he was going to be our starting Mike LB - Nealy's replacement. Right before he injured his knee, he was about to become the starter at MLB, jumping ahead of Jabari ... And, we all saw in the one game he did start why that happened - he was head hunting out there - one of the better performances by a LB over the last several years. I felt pretty good about him becoming a starter this year. So, those who are saying it's just a backup LB, no big deal, I believe are understating it. I'm pulling for Beau now, and his progress still gives reason for optimism, BUT, now we're looking at a major depth concern. What if he gets dinged? Then we're probably down to a freshman ... that's not a good thing, even if they're a good player. They're likely to be a liability to the overall success of the defense just due to inexperience. With Harrell and Hankins, it was a good situation. Now, ...?

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry to hear his time here ended on a bad note but I would be the first to step up, shake his hand, and say thank you for helping us over the last few years. Good luck at UF and congrats on earning that degree from Tech. With that said, there is no looking back, and it's next man up. I've got a feeling that Hankins is going to be a good one for us.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I appreciate Ant's time with GT. I hope he learns from his mistake and has a great future(much more easily done with the GT Degree in hand). Now he has one more chance to beat Uga as a member of UF. Good luck young man.