Harrell Transferring to Florida

MTY

Georgia Tech Fan
You do realize that it takes AT LEAST 10 days to receive your confirmed GRE score for submission to a graduate program BEFORE the university will even begin to review your application into their graduate program. This would mean that this was a work in progress and not just - oh my, I think I want to transfer today. Plus, everything has to go through compliance at the new university. This type of transfer takes time, it's not an overnight process, much less all done in one day.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Like GTAA would make up a story about suspending someone... Come on, get real.

They're not careful about the weights they report on rosters.

I'm no expert, but we had talented linebackers in Harrell and McNair sitting while our Nickel gave up bottom 20 in yds/play.

I expect the truth lies in the middle somewhere but don't blame Harrell for transferring after giving us 4 years.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What's the end game to publicize that he was suspended if we knew he was transferring? We all talk about GT is class personified. This should've been Ant is leaving the team or transferring in AJC imo.

I agree. I'm a huge fan of our head coach, but if Harrell is at UF next year than this is all sad.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'll go one more step. If we collapse this year, this may be why. If we thrive, for that matter, this may be why.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Know what's missing? Any sort of announcement from Florida.

Think about timing window and process for Skov, Golston, etc. When they announce will be an indicator of how and when this went down.

Again, I wish Anthony the best in the future. This is situation where fans know 1% of the information, so you have to trust that the staff knows what they are doing. CPJ takes a hard line with discipline, and that's certainly a cornerstone of his success. I don't have any reason to doubt that this was the right decision for everyone involved.

MTY

Georgia Tech Fan
anthony-harrell-gators.jpg

With just six returning scholarship linebackers returning for 2015 – and an even lesser number currently healthy – the Florida Gators have looked to a graduate transfer to improve their depth at the position ahead of the season.

Former three-star recruit Anthony Harrell (Tampa, FL) has graduated from Georgia Tech with a degree in business administration and announced on Twitter his intention join Florida on Monday ahead of the 2015 campaign.

“These past four years at Georgia Tech have been amazing. It is with a sad heart that I announce that I am leaving Georgia Tech and my Yellow Jacket football team,” he wrote. “I have been accepted to the University of Florida’s Masters Degree Program. My family and I have decided that it would be better for my future and where I want to go in life and that I will be attending and playing my 5th year of football at the University of Florida.”

Harrell wrote that as part of a six-paragraph reply to a tweet from Georgia Tech football’s official account, which announced the player as “suspended indefinitely” from the program.

Harrell (6-foot-3, 235 pounds), the son of former Gators walk-on LB James Harrell (1975-98), tore his ACL in 2013 but returned last season to register 19 tackles in 13 games as a redshirt junior with the Yellow Jackets.

According to Josh Newberg of 247Sports, James Harrell confirmed his son’s transfer decision. Multiple Florida players that are aware of the younger Harrell’s decision has been congratulating him on joining the program via Twitter.

Harrell is the fourth immediately-eligible player to join the Gators via transfer ahead of the 2015 season, following senior quarterback/wide receiver Josh Grady (Vanderbilt), senior FCS All-American offensive lineman Mason Halter (Fordham) and freshman OL T.J. McCoy (NC State), a legacy in his own right.

Share this:

Tags: Anthony Harrell, Josh Grady, Mason halter, T.J. McCoy

MTY

Georgia Tech Fan
Check out SB Nation, Alligator Army and Gators Only to name a few. Believe me, he reports for team meetings on Sunday and classes on Monday.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What's the end game to publicize that he was suspended if we knew he was transferring? We all talk about GT is class personified. This should've been Ant is leaving the team or transferring in AJC imo.
Did he get suspended? If so, are you suggesting the AJC should lie about it? Am I missing something? Has he been accepted into the Florida graduate program, or just announced he was going? Sorry it seems to be playing out so poorly, but all we really know is that it was first announced he was suspended and then Harrell said he was transferring. I'm not close to the program but I've never seen any evidence, in following Johnson since he went to Navy, that he made stuff up or trashed a player or former player. There's stuff we don't know and will never find out, I'm sure. But asking a newspaper to burnish the circumstances is way beyond the pale. Whatever, he's gone and August is approaching. Next man up.

gtzulu

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe there is a rule to let the coaches know in advance if you are looking at transferring. Remember Johnson supposedly forced one graduate off the team who wasn't going to get playing time in order to make scholarship numbers work. Johnson probably would have liked to know that Harrell was transferring so he didn't have to do that. Just my speculation.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Did he get suspended? If so, are you suggesting the AJC should lie about it? Am I missing something? Has he been accepted into the Florida graduate program, or just announced he was going? Sorry it seems to be playing out so poorly, but all we really know is that it was first announced he was suspended and then Harrell said he was transferring. I'm not close to the program but I've never seen any evidence, in following Johnson since he went to Navy, that he made stuff up or trashed a player or former player. There's stuff we don't know and will never find out, I'm sure. But asking a newspaper to burnish the circumstances is way beyond the pale. Whatever, he's gone and August is approaching. Next man up.

Official GT Twitter announced suspension not AJC. I think @Ibeeballin was questioning why they would do that if a graduating Senior was going elsewhere for grad school/last year.

The AJC confirmed that the suspension occurred today. Since a person can't apply to and get accepted by a graduate school in a day, going to UF cannot have been in response to the suspension (assuming he ends up there).

So, if Harrell does end up at UF next year, then it seems that he applied and waited till he knew he was accepted before going public, and probably even telling the coaches.

The suspension then seems a response to his move and seems, to me, petty, given the circumstances if understood correctly. It may have been procedural, but it sounds like, "You can't quit; you're fired!"

thwgjacket

Official GT Twitter announced suspension not AJC. I think @Ibeeballin was questioning why they would do that if a graduating Senior was going elsewhere for grad school/last year.

The AJC confirmed that the suspension occurred today. Since a person can't apply to and get accepted by a graduate school in a day, going to UF cannot have been in response to the suspension (assuming he ends up there).

So, if Harrell does end up at UF next year, then it seems that he applied and waited till he knew he was accepted before going public, and probably even telling the coaches.

The suspension then seems a response to his move and seems, to me, petty, given the circumstances if understood correctly. It may have been procedural, but it sounds like, "You can't quit; you're fired!"
This works both ways. Has UF confirmed he got in and will be playing? I haven't seen that, so all we have to confirm is a tweet by the player. It's just as possible he was suspended, then decided he will apply to UF and made a tweet stating he's already in. I think it's best to wait and see before we blame anyone.