Hal Mumme interview talks about CPJ

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/6/26/3118498/hal-mumme-interview

HM: I still find our stuff fun to watch. If I was going to run the ball, I'd do what Paul Johnson does at Georgia Tech. I'm kind of an all-or-nothing kind of guy. They're fun to watch.

SH: If you were going to run it, you'd just run it seventy times a game.

HM: Oh, yeah. I love watching all those teams that do that: Georgia Tech, Army, Navy, all of them. I might not be the best guy to ask that, since I have this mentality that if you're at a place that isn't supposed to win, you have to live on the edge or you'll have no chance of winning. If you do something in the extreme, and you do it really, really well, and you rep it all the time and that's what you do well, when teams play you they're going to have to play in the extreme. And you're good at it because you do it all the time, and they only practice it for that one game.

You may not have the physical advantage, but you have the mental advantage going into a game. You never think you're out of it. That's always been my philosophy. Because you're so good at the extreme, one or two times a year you can go to the opposite because people overplay it so much. One or two times a year, we have a really good game rushing the football. One or two times a year, Georgia Tech will have a really big day throwing the football. It doesn't happen a lot, it happens when people give it to you. That's the way I like playing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Always liked Mumme, since the couch/yeast days

Mumme is one of the "godfathers" of the what has become the Air Raid. He's now OC of SMU and melding his concepts with June Jones's Run-n-Shoot concepts, which have a lot of common elements.

I would love to get someone like Mumme in to be our passing game coordinator and QB coach. Unfortunately, just like our option concepts, his passing concepts take a lot of reps and practice time. Still, someone with that kind of knowledge could do wonders for our QBs development in the passing game.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You've convinced me. Hal Mumme, our future passing game coordinator.

I'd wager we practice our kicking game more than we practice our passing game. A pass happy Hal Mumme being hired by "run as much as you can" Paul Johnson? We'll change our school colors before something like that happens.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder what we would have been like if we had hired say a June Jones when we hired CPJ? Total opposite of what we do now or did with Chan...

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder what we would have been like if we had hired say a June Jones when we hired CPJ? Total opposite of what we do now or did with Chan...

Just take all of the criticisms of CPJ and flip "run" to "pass" or vice versa:
  • We need to run the ball more
  • CJJ cannot beat the higher quality opponents by only passing the ball
  • We need more long pass routes
  • CJJ cannot recruit top quality athletes with his "system"
  • When was the last time we had a RB go for over 100 yards
  • The other teams have "figured out" our offense
  • Would you like me to keep going?

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah I kinda figured it would be something like that. lol Bottom line is Unless we are winning 11+ games per season it doesnt matter what we do on O not everyone is gonna be happy. Some people love the run, some people hate the run. Some people love the pass, some people hate it. If it was a 50/50 balance between the 2 and we were winning 11+ games people would complain if we didnt win the MNC every season!! (Heck just look at Bama fans!)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think this actually catches the way Coach operates quite well. I keep saying that we have a program that maximizes the talents of the players we can get into Tech. That, if others will recall, was the main reason people were so enthusiastic about hiring Coach. The Hill is not – repeat, not – going to lower admissions standards appreciably. We might get some relief on majors, but the players we get have to cut it. That puts us in the same position as the academies: limited curriculum, high admission standards, high expectations. Solution = hire the most successful academy coach and hope that our attraction to high school athletes would be great enough to deliver better talent and do the same or better against higher level competition. The results so far have been right in line with that, though I think we have under performed for the last two years.

The reason we have done as well as we have is what Mumme says: we take football to extremes and it often pays off. Another couple of recruiting years like this one and we'll get closer to what we want, imho.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Yeah, keep going.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
The RNS is outdated.

Jones' pass protection schemes are outdated.

Throwing 40+ times a game isn't "real football"

Elite players want to play in a pro-style or spread option system, not some goofy 1980s trick offense.

We will never get top o-line recruits if we never have them in a 3 point stance and run blocking at least occasionally.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Hypothetical situation. If we had an exact 50/50 run pass ratio, averaged 250 pg rushing and 250 pg passing and won the ACC and competed for a title every season someone would still complain. Guarantee, someone would say "were too predictable" or "we cant win the big one" or "so what, we play in the ACC" etc..Thats just human nature. You give us as fans what we want, then we keep wanting more and more until its impossible to be satisfied.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Here's the rub are extreme offenses truly successful??
I mean there has to be some semblance of balance. Even with Auburn's run heavy approach it was the passing game that won it for them against TAMU and got them the lead against FSU.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Here's the rub are extreme offenses truly successful??
I mean there has to be some semblance of balance. Even with Auburn's run heavy approach it was the passing game that won it for them against TAMU and got them the lead against FSU.
Re-read Mumme's last statement. You take what they give you.