GTWBB

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
As fans, we are allowed to look ahead without prejudiced. When I think of S.C the top team, Maryland, Stanford, Baylor, or any team that can knock them off-it seems more daunting. Maybe because you only get 36-48 hours before preparing for another titan. Then, you get Wednesday and Thursday off, before the other two come up on Friday and Sunday. Try to enjoy the ride. They all share something in common, great coaches.

As fans, we are allowed to look ahead without prejudiced. When I think of S.C the top team, Maryland, Stanford, Baylor, or any team that can knock them off-it seems more daunting. Maybe because you only get 36-48 hours before preparing for another titan. Then, you get Wednesday and Thursday off, before the other two come up on Friday and Sunday. Try to enjoy the ride. They all share something in common, great coaches.
You say:
They all share something in common, great coaches.
You SHOULD say, WE ALL share .....

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
You say:

You SHOULD say, WE ALL share .....
Coach Nell is the ACC Coach of the Year, and what she did last year with the players she salvaged(since she came in too late for recruiting)was phenomenal.
An Olympic Coach, who has won everywhere she’s been. Also, was an A.C. at SF Austin under Gary Blair starting out, therefore had great tutelage. I know you are not a regular to this program, but a few of us have followed the G.T. coaches since the inception that included Benny Dees who passed away this week. He was also Dwayne Morrison’s third assistant while moonlighting for WBB. We’ve come a long way.
I stated publicly on here, CNF was a great hire at the time and the best Tech could have ever hoped for. Naturally every post since that time has reflected the unbelievable talent that she has to coach a team up. We’ve never had a hoop Coach win close to 40 games in their first two years. She expected G.T. was NCAA bound before coronageddon hit. I’m certain we were going to host a WNIT game. It’s a small miracle that in less than a year, a program could go from disarray to any tournament.

Yes, even Missouri St. Lady Bears are well coached. We ALL share good coaching. In WBB, it’s the have and have nots. Very tough to break into the top 20 and even more difficult to stay there.

Coach Nell is the ACC Coach of the Year, and what she did last year with the players she salvaged(since she came in too late for recruiting)was phenomenal.
An Olympic Coach, who has won everywhere she’s been. Also, was an A.C. at SF Austin under Gary Blair starting out, therefore had great tutelage. I know you are not a regular to this program, but a few of us have followed the G.T. coaches since the inception that included Benny Dees who passed away this week. He was also Dwayne Morrison’s third assistant while moonlighting for WBB. We’ve come a long way.
I stated publicly on here, CNF was a great hire at the time and the best Tech could have ever hoped for. Naturally every post since that time has reflected the unbelievable talent that she has to coach a team up. We’ve never had a hoop Coach win close to 40 games in their first two years. She expected G.T. was NCAA bound before coronageddon hit. I’m certain we were going to host a WNIT game. It’s a small miracle that in less than a year, a program could go from disarray to any tournament.

Yes, even Missouri St. Lady Bears are well coached. We ALL share good coaching. In WBB, it’s the have and have nots. Very tough to break into the top 20 and even more difficult to stay there.
I admittedly have not followed the Lady Jackets much over the years, although I always tried to stay up with how they were doing overall. I watched quite a few games this year, and they are definitely fun to watch. I have really fallen in love with Coach Nell.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I suspect our players aren't intimidated by playing South Carolina. We've played NC State twice and Louisville once. Both teams that have held the #1 spot at times this year, and are 1 and 2 seeds. Our results:

vs NCSU down by 29 at the half (returning from a COVID pause I believe). Outscored them by 20 in the second half to lose by 9.
At Louisville, down by 9 after 3 quarters due to a poor 2nd quarter. Lost by 15, but were in the game most of the way.
vs NCSU in the ACC semi-finals, led most of the way. NCSU took a lead with just under 3 to go and won by 5.

There should be no doubt in our players minds that we can compete with any of these teams. We've gone from being out of it early (and coming back), to hanging in there, to having a lead most of the way to let it get away late. Perhaps now we take the next step and BEAT SOUTH CAROLINA!

Lets go Jackets!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
@CINCYMETJACKET;
Excellent points on why we can compete with the Big Gals.
To even solidify further, almost three weeks between games on that COVID break you referred to. Probably our worst half of hoops since Coach came aboard. Didn’t Cubaj get hurt in the Louisville game when G.T. was up 20-19? She didn’t return with the knee injury, and we can’t compete against the elite teams without her. Can’t afford foul trouble or an injury. Glad to have Boyd show that her injury knocking her out of shape when the season started was an aberration and not the ending of the freshman year. Other clubs might be deeper than us, however our lethal weapon three are as good as anyone else has.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Former Purdue point guard, GT Assistant Coach Teri Moren leads Indiana to an upset over Wes Moore and NC St.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Goooooood Mornin Sports Fans! Today we have the sweet sixteen matchup between 1 seed South Carolina Gameflops (Yuck!) and the #5 seed Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets! Let's get hype and let's get this win!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Dave Kindred was an AJC sports writer for a while years ago. I loved his work covering just about everything from golf to basketball to the Olympics. Now he covers a girls high school basketball team in Illinois. 60 Minutes did a story about Dave Kindred and his new writing passion.

slugboy

Staff member
Dave Kindred was an AJC sports writer for a while years ago. I loved his work covering just about everything from golf to basketball to the Olympics. Now he covers a girls high school basketball team in Illinois. 60 Minutes did a story about Dave Kindred and his new writing passion.

The AJC used to have a really strong sports section—arguably the best in the nation when newspapers were still doing OK. Kindred seemed to be a writer mainly, and sports were his assigned writing prompts.

This Jeff Schultz memory helps paint the picture (Kindred did a lot of random observations, too. His stories weren’t going to be X’s and O’s).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If my brain cells aren't all dead, I used to see Kindred at Manuel's often. Later Grizzard replaced him at both places.
I lived in Inman Park during those years and also frequented Manuels. I liked Kindred better than Grizzard, although I never knew either very well. I never forgave Grizzard being a uga alum.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

I was lucky enough to meet Dave Kindred at a tech basketball game, 84/85 season if I recall. He interviewed me a some friends and described one of them a "palpable" with enthusiasm (and odor). We had a good time picking on our friend about that comment.

Always enjoyed reading Dave's articles in the paper.

@orientalnc , thanks for posting the article.