GTWBB

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
How was Love not a factor? She led the team with 9 boards and kept giving the team second chances with 6 of those boards on the offensive end.
You are right, my bad. Love had 7 points and 4 rebounds vs. Ga.
Should have been more clear in that LaChina Robinson said GT was 10th by the coaches and 9th by the media, pre-season.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why anyone would be so adamant about arguing with a poster who refers to young woman as girls. This is very trivial issue.

It's trivial to you. Some of us have experience around women is in sports who it isn't a trivial matter for, for a number of reasons.

It's trivial to you. Some of us have experience around women is in sports who it isn't a trivial matter for, for a number of reasons.

What reasons make it more improper to refer to members of a college basketball team as girls than the general population of young women? Where I come from, using the term girls in lieu of young women is not derogatory at all, and I take exception to those who insist that it is.

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What reasons make it more improper to refer to members of a college basketball team as girls than the general population of young women? Where I come from, using the term girls in lieu of young women is not derogatory at all, and I take exception to those who insist that it is.

It's not more improper. You shouldn't be referring to college age women as girls whether they play sports or not. You obviously know a better term for it.

It's not more improper. You shouldn't be referring to college age women as girls whether they play sports or not. You obviously know a better term for it.

Your experiences are certainly a lot different than mine growing up. I will agree agree with you on that. You are welcome to your opinion, but I also don't think you get to make that decision for everyone else.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
How would you approach this with women you don't know?

Also, we're talking about the label applied to an organization, in this case, college teams.

Would you call a college organization of women engineers the "girl engineers group"?
This reminds me of an argument from the very early 1970s when I was attending a school about 70 miles from downtown Atlanta. The argument was whether the girls basketball team was "The Lady Dogs". My argument was that all the schools athletic teams were called Bulldogs as stated in the student manual. Our GT sponsored athletic teams are Yellow Jackets. If we need to distinguish then WBB/MBB should suffice.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, I thought we weren't supposed to be using the term "women", "girls", or anything that can be remotely considered a sexist remark. Everyone is just an everyone at this point.
Double plus ungood.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
At my Christian high school, it was ladies' basketball.

I definitely don’t refer to college age women as girls. I might have at their age, though.

My 2 cents on this silly topic.

Last edited: